Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

A Quiet Place (2018) - John Krasinski to Write, Direct and Star With Emily Blunt in Paramount Thriller

Discuss your favorite movies
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

A Quiet Place (2018) - John Krasinski to Write, Direct and Star With Emily Blunt in Paramount Thriller

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:20 am

It'll be Emily Blunt's best horror movie since Wind Chill.
Tyler
Owner

Re: A Quiet Place (2018) - John Krasinski to Write, Direct and Star With Emily Blunt in Paramount Thriller

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:07 pm

Corey saw last night and he isn't even talking about it!!
blake

Postby blake » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:35 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Corey saw last night and he isn't even talking about it!!

too scared?
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:59 am

This was a very different movie. There is not a lot of dialogue at all and is eerily silent throughout. I don't think it was ever really scary though, A LOT of suspense. Really good acting. Was a lot of fun.

The monsters are pretty creepy.
Tag

Postby Tag » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:46 am

GREAT MOVIE.

The silence can be more scary that any thing.

Ty you goin with benny and rusty tomorrow? He asked me to go, might go again

Jim Halpert (john Krasinksi) was absolutely amazing
-Tag
*Formerly known as Slumdog Billionaire

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
Tag

Postby Tag » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:46 am

also, do not eat snacks, drinks are pushing it. you'll be hated by everyone in the movie theater.
-Tag

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
Tyler
Owner

Re: A Quiet Place (2018) - John Krasinski to Write, Direct and Star With Emily Blunt in Paramount Thriller

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:08 am

We are going Thursday.

Glad to hear it's more suspense than horror, maybe I can get through it.

So don't bring in cans of soda to crack open during the movie?
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:45 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post So don't bring in cans of soda to crack open during the movie?

Yeah, you probably wouldn't be able to cough loud enough to cover the sound.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: A Quiet Place (2018) - John Krasinski to Write, Direct and Star With Emily Blunt in Paramount Thriller

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:46 am

wags83 wrote:
Tyler wrote:Source of the post So don't bring in cans of soda to crack open during the movie?

Yeah, you probably wouldn't be able to cough loud enough to cover the sound.
I still LOL when I think of the time my dad came to True Grit with us and you waited for a quiet scene to *cough* pause *crack-open-can* pause *cough*
Tag

Postby Tag » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:46 pm

Tyler wrote:We are going Thursday.

FWIW, tomorrow is Thursday
-Tag

Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: A Quiet Place (2018) - John Krasinski to Write, Direct and Star With Emily Blunt in Paramount Thriller

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:03 pm

Tag wrote:
Tyler wrote:We are going Thursday.

FWIW, tomorrow is Thursday
Lol. I read your comment on Tuesday?
Tag

Postby Tag » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:17 pm

then you read my mind! cause i wrote it wednesday lol..
-Tag

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:51 pm

I'll give a full review tomorrow, but I have to admit Tag was partially right about the snacks. I felt so uncomfortable eating during the silence that 50% of the movie I didn't even think of trying. 30% was loud enough for light snacking. 20% was loud enough for full normal snacking.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:05 am

Went to this last night too. Found myself trying to shove as much popcorn into my mouth as possible anytime there was background music or ambient noise.

I liked the movie. It didn't have a ton of "scary" scenes, but it makes you so on-edge the whole time because of the quiet and is very suspenseful. Spoilers to follow.

I liked the design of the monsters and how they were pretty much invulnerable to weapons unless their head/ear flaps were open. When we first see a snippet of them when the little kid gets killed, I thought it was going to be more like a giant spidery kind of thing. The fact that it was a more upright creature made them freakier.

Having a baby in this world seems like the worst idea ever.

I would like to get a sense for how many of these monsters there are around the world. The whiteboard said there were 3 confirmed in the area. Obviously it's a worldwide crisis as Jim was trying to radio other countries without success. I'm just curious how many of these things it would take to destroy a huge metropolitan area like New York or Tokyo. You would think that if governments figured out that these creatures have super sonic hearing, they would have tried some sort of high frequency weapon which turns out is the key.

I like how the chip aisle at the store was the only aisle that wasn't looted.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:23 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Found myself trying to shove as much popcorn into my mouth as possible anytime there was background music or ambient noise.

The scene where they put in the earbuds and dance. I am sure it was a beatiful scene, but I missed it all. I was eating all of the snacks as fast as I can. Tad judged me for bringing Bunch-a-CRUNCH and not bunch-a-quiet.

wags83 wrote:Source of the post When we first see a snippet of them when the little kid gets killed, I thought it was going to be more like a giant spidery kind of thing. The fact that it was a more upright creature made them freakier.

Agreed. I thought long bug like, but it was surprisingly ape like in stature.

wags83 wrote:Source of the post You would think that if governments figured out that these creatures have super sonic hearing, they would have tried some sort of high frequency weapon which turns out is the key.

Yeah, their weakness seems pretty obvious now. They have super sonic hearing, why not try something so high frequency that it drives them insane, just like a dog whistle.
Most people know here, but I do not like horror movies. I haven't seen a full fledged horror movie in theaters for 12+ years. Having said that, I find it difficult to label this a horror movie. There are some jump scares, but it was way more suspense than horror. A lot of the time you were given proper warning for when a spooky was about to happen, and the suspense of waiting for it was the fun part.

Krasinki deserves all the praise he is getting with this movie. Instant classic.

What I liked:
-Opening sequence with the rocket ship. The trailer shows part of the scene sadly, but I thought Big Tuna was going to make it to him in time and throw the toy. Really sets the mood of a movie when a 4 year old is killed by a monster within the first 10 minutes.
-World building (more below)
-No backstory on the monsters. They are just there now, deal with it. Someone online pointed out that a newspaper hanging on the wall mentioned a meteorite landing in Mexico. Maybe that caused it?
-The son setting off the fireworks, Krasinki running towards the house, and Blunt finally able to scream. Incredible sequence
-90 minutes. Movie didn't overstay its welcome
-"I love you. I have always loved you." *screams* - powerful stuff.
-Seeing a lot of the monsters. Some movies hide the monsters, but halfway through this movie was showing them all the time and I liked seeing the creature design. Reminded me a lot of Stranger Things monster
-Monster sliding into the water. That was soooo intense. I was afraid Blunt was going to have to smother the baby
-the nail
-100% okay with the hearing aid being the device that took them down. Dad spent years building a hearing aid for his daugther and it saved their lives. If only the girl realized it sooner!
-That shutgun reload was such a cliche badass moment and I'm glad the movie ended on it.

World building is where this movie really shined
-The small details for avoiding sound. Only loud chips are left in the grocery store, the sand to walk on, always barefoot, even having sleeping gas ready for the baby and the coffin/crib. Putting that gas mask on the baby really struck a chord with me, it was so dark but necessary
-I wondered at first what the point of the christmas lights were, really powerful when Blunt changed them to Red and I instantly understood their purpose
-All of the little soundproofing techniques used. Mattress, rafters were stuff with stuff, kids plastering the walls with newspaper

Questions:
-Who is planting all of this corn? Running a combine must be super dangerous.
-How are the lights being powered? Generators are loud
-When Krasinki first lit the fire on top of the silo it looked like other fires were going. Are there multiple families living like them and that is how they check in on each other?
-How are raccoons or any kind of animal still alive 500 days in?

What I would have done:
-Move into a house near moving water for it to muffle the sounds
-Have speakers playing 24/7 around the farm with water sounds. I am sure the creatures would just take out the speakers though

One complaint...
the whiteboard in the basement. BLIND. ATTACKS SOUNDS. WEAKNESS? Did Krasinki have no faith in the audience?
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:32 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post -No backstory on the monsters. They are just there now, deal with it. Someone online pointed out that a newspaper hanging on the wall mentioned a meteorite landing in Mexico. Maybe that caused it?

I read an article of an interview with Krasinski and he confirmed that the monsters are aliens that landed with a meteorite.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post -Who is planting all of this corn? Running a combine must be super dangerous.

Lol, my exact thought was "That's a lot of corn and some very straight rows for having to do it all by hand."
Tyler wrote:Source of the post -When Krasinki first lit the fire on top of the silo it looked like other fires were going. Are there multiple families living like them and that is how they check in on each other?

That's what I assumed. Then the kids are up on the silo later during the big attack and no other fires are going anywhere else. We saw the old guy die and his apparent wife was laying there dead. Is everyone else dead?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:02 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post That's what I assumed. Then the kids are up on the silo later during the big attack and no other fires are going anywhere else. We saw the old guy die and his apparent wife was laying there dead. Is everyone else dead?

Okay, so we were both confused by that. There were like 6-8 fires when the dad was up there, but later they were all dead?
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:06 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post There were like 6-8 fires when the dad was up there, but later they were all dead?

I also noticed that the kids were having a hard time getting the fire to stay lit and grow (she kept having to pour lighter fluid on it), so another thought I had is that maybe they light a fire and everyone else lights it in response to say "We're ok" but maybe they didn't see it because the kids' fire wasn't big enough...I don't know. I assume everyone else is dead.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:08 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I also noticed that the kids were having a hard time getting the fire to stay lit and grow (she kept having to pour lighter fluid on it), so another thought I had is that maybe they light a fire and everyone else lights it in response to say "We're ok" but maybe they didn't see it because the kids' fire wasn't big enough...I don't know. I assume everyone else is dead.

That could be...I guess it did show him lighting his fire first, but that seems like a bad plan. Everyone assumes everyone is dead because the first guy can't light his fire.

Return to “Movies”