Spiderman
Gotg2

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
purple_hayes

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:57 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Updated list

I think you've seen the most 2017 movies now!

*Updated mine too.

Wow, you really shook up your list... dropped GotG to 3rd? Haven't you seen Ghost in the Shell? or were you just talking with me about it and not seen it?
Tyler
Owner

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:06 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Wow, you really shook up your list... dropped GotG to 3rd?

GotG2 was hilarious and tons of fun, but when I reflect back on the movies I've seen this summer (that sounds really silly to say about a comic book movie) Logan stands out as the better film and story.

It's the same reason I put Spider-Man over GotG. Both were fun theatrical experiences, but Spider-Man had a much better story.

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Haven't you seen Ghost in the Shell? or were you just talking with me about it and not seen it?

I was talking about the anime when I said it was over-rated and I didn't like it. Since I didn't like the anime version I am not going to see the live-action
purple_hayes

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:29 am

Tyler wrote:
purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Haven't you seen Ghost in the Shell? or were you just talking with me about it and not seen it?

I was talking about the anime when I said it was over-rated and I didn't like it. Since I didn't like the anime version I am not going to see the live-action

Yeah, no reason to watch it. I want to watch the Anime version... but they did zero justice to it by this movie. Seemed to have much promise but wow... is such a waste.
CrckrJack

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:23 pm

John Wick 2
GotG2
Logan
Split
King Arthur
Beauty and the Beast
Power Rangers
The Wall
Ape movie
WW

Left to watch:
Alien, Kong, Ghost in the Shell, Free Fire, Lego Batman, Megan Leavey, Get Out, Dunkirk

I moved GotG down a slot and added Split, The Wall, and the ape movie.
purple_hayes

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:05 am

Dunkirk
GotG V2
Wonder Woman
Logan
Get Out
Spider Man: Homecoming
Split
John Wick 2
Kong: Skull Island
Lost City of Z
Life
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
Belko Experiment
Fist Fight
xXx: Return of Xander Cage
Ghost in the Shell
Chips

Saw Dunkirk in an IMAX theater last night... wow. Spectacular.
CrckrJack

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:17 am

UPDATE

John Wick 2
GotG2
Logan
Split
King Arthur
Valerian 3D
Beauty and the Beast
Power Rangers
Ape movie +1
The Great Wall -1

WW

Left to watch:
Alien, Kong, Ghost in the Shell, Free Fire, Lego Batman, Megan Leavey, Get Out, Dunkirk, The Wall
Last edited by CrckrJack on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler
Owner

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:57 am

Added Power Rangers. It's basically a toss up between that and xXx. I gave xXx the slight lead because it made me laugh with how horrible the movie was.

Logan
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2
Lego Batman
Get Out
John Wick 2
Wonder Woman
Kong: Skull Island
Fate of the Furious
Split
Gifted
Despicable Me 3
The Boss Baby
Rough Night
Fist Fight
Smurfs: The Lost Village
xXx: Return of Xander Cage
*Power Rangers
Leap! (Ballerina)

Want to see:
Baby Driver
War of the Apes
Lost City of Z
Dunkirk
The Wall
Kath525

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby Kath525 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:57 pm

UPDATE: added Dunkirk

Logan
Guardians of the Galaxy
Dunkirk
War for Planet of the Apes
Wonder Woman
Split
Beauty and the Beast
Valerian
King Arthur
Power Rangers
50 Shades

Still to see: Sword Art Online, Rings, The Mummy, Baby Driver, Spider-Man , Dark Tower, It, Kingsman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CrckrJack

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:30 am

UPDATE added Dunkirk

John Wick 2
Dunkirk
Logan +1
GotG2 -1

Split
King Arthur
Valerian 3D
Beauty and the Beast
Power Rangers
Ape movie
The Great Wall
WW

Left to watch:
Alien, Kong, Ghost in the Shell, Free Fire, Lego Batman, Megan Leavey, Get Out, The Wall
purple_hayes

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby purple_hayes » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:41 am

Tyler wrote:
GotG2 was hilarious and tons of fun, but when I reflect back on the movies I've seen this summer (that sounds really silly to say about a comic book movie) Logan stands out as the better film and story.

It's the same reason I put Spider-Man over GotG. Both were fun theatrical experiences, but Spider-Man had a much better story.

Um... I meant to ask you this but haven't... isn't this post a list of your favorite movies? Shouldn't a movie go where it belongs because you enjoyed it and not because the movie is a better movie or not? Therefore, since you enjoyed GotGv2 more, it should be higher than Logan? Just a question.
Tyler
Owner

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:43 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Shouldn't a movie go where it belongs because you enjoyed it and not because the movie is a better movie or not?

Fair question. Maybe I'm being too pretentious, but in the moment enjoyment isn't the only factor considered when ranking a movie. Take for example my list from last year. I had Hacksaw Ridge as #2 and Popstar somewhere in the teens. Popstar was a hilarious movie and I laughed throughout. Hacksaw Ridge was brutal, gory, and emotional. While in the theater I had a way better time watching Popstar, but Hacksaw Ridge had a much larger impact on me and it's still something I think about. For those reasons I had Hacksaw Ridge higher.
purple_hayes

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby purple_hayes » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:09 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Shouldn't a movie go where it belongs because you enjoyed it and not because the movie is a better movie or not?

Fair question. Maybe I'm being too pretentious, but in the moment enjoyment isn't the only factor considered when ranking a movie. Take for example my list from last year. I had Hacksaw Ridge as #2 and Popstar somewhere in the teens. Popstar was a hilarious movie and I laughed throughout. Hacksaw Ridge was brutal, gory, and emotional. While in the theater I had a way better time watching Popstar, but Hacksaw Ridge had a much larger impact on me and it's still something I think about. For those reasons I had Hacksaw Ridge higher.

I hear what you are saying. Everyone is entitled to their opinion for whatever reason they derive it. I remember you talking longly about your enjoyment of GotGv2 but not so much about Logan. Is why I posed the question.
Tyler
Owner

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:16 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Everyone is entitled to their opinion for whatever reason they derive it.

*expect for Crckrjack
purple_hayes

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby purple_hayes » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:19 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Everyone is entitled to their opinion for whatever reason they derive it.

*expect for Crckrjack

Agreed, he can only have the one that Kath525 allows him to have.
Kath525

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby Kath525 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:40 am

purple_hayes wrote:

*expect for Crckrjack

Agreed, he can only have the one that Kath525 allows him to have.

You guys really know what's up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby DannyFanny » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:46 am

I want to get in on the "favorite" movie discussion. I think favorite movies should be viewed as something you'll sit down and watch if it were on TV while channel surfing. Just because a movie is great doesn't mean I'll want to watch it again.
Tyler
Owner

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:53 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post I want to get in on the "favorite" movie discussion. I think favorite movies should be viewed as something you'll sit down and watch if it were on TV while channel surfing. Just because a movie is great doesn't mean I'll want to watch it again.

Good point! I guess when I had GotG2 at the top of the list it was my "favorite" list, but I have since changed it to "best".
purple_hayes

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby purple_hayes » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:59 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post I want to get in on the "favorite" movie discussion. I think favorite movies should be viewed as something you'll sit down and watch if it were on TV while channel surfing. Just because a movie is great doesn't mean I'll want to watch it again.

Good point! I guess when I had GotG2 at the top of the list it was my "favorite" list, but I have since changed it to "best".

Thanks DannyFanny, that was my point from the question I posed. If given a stack of movies of 2017, this is a list I would watch in that order... some I would throw in the garbage... yeah, I'm talking to you Chips and Ghost in the Shell... garbage. Wish I had the hours of my life back from watching those movies.
wags83

Favorite movies of 2017

Postby wags83 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:01 am

It's like the episode of Wrecked when they only have enough battery to watch one movie and have to choose between Dumb and Dumber Too or Selma.

Return to “Movies”