Compliance (2012) - involves absolutely no gore or horror, but will still make you feel sick to your stomach

Discuss your favorite movies
Blue Jackets

Compliance (2012) - involves absolutely no gore or horror, but will still make you feel sick to your stomach

Postby Blue Jackets » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:14 pm

If you're looking for a film that involves absolutely no gore or horror, but will still make you feel sick to your stomach, Compliance is the film for you. Taken from actual events, it's a harrowing look at what human beings are willing to do to one another when authority figures make demands
--------------
A normal Friday service at a fast food restaurant becomes interrupted by a police officer who claims an employee stole from a customer, but something more sinister is going on.

89% - RT
Based on real events

https://youtu.be/Kimp1QqAPec
Tyler
Owner

Re: Compliance (2012) - involves absolutely no gore or horror, but will still make you feel sick to your stomach

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:21 pm

Not watching the trailer, but it sounds really interesting. I think I'll watch tonight as long as nothing urgent is on the TiVo
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:59 pm

Creepy

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
SleepyChimera

Postby SleepyChimera » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:15 pm

This concept is based on an actual psychological study. It's actually one of my more favorite studies I've read about, not because of what the results mean, but because I find people fascinating in a "scientists observes rat" kind of way. The study was run to try to determine what causes people to go along with instructions that can be horrific with almost no qualms after situations like the Holocaust happened. If anyone is interested, I can link an article, or I THINK there was a documentary type thing on Netflix.

Other fun psych fact: If you yell fire instead of rape, you are significantly more likely to have someone come to your assistance.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:22 pm

SleepyChimera wrote:Source of the post If anyone is interested, I can link an article, or I THINK there was a documentary type thing on Netflix.

If I enjoy the movie I may want to watch a documentary more on the subject.
Erin

Postby Erin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:57 pm

This sounds interesting. The "no gore or horror" is my kind of thriller.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Compliance (2012) - involves absolutely no gore or horror, but will still make you feel sick to your stomach

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Erin wrote:This sounds interesting. The "no gore or horror" is my kind of thriller.

Exactly. Jocelyn and I like movies like that as well. I'm going to make her watch this with me and I'm not telling her what it is or letting her read the synopsis before. She will be going in completely blind
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:22 pm

I loved this movie. It's messed up, but I don't remember very many specifics. I watched it 2+ years ago

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Compliance (2012) - involves absolutely no gore or horror, but will still make you feel sick to your stomach

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:21 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:I loved this movie. It's messed up, but I don't remember very many specifics. I watched it 2+ years ago

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Things are getting very dark. This poor girl.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Exactly. Jocelyn and I like movies like that as well. I'm going to make her watch this with me and I'm not telling her what it is or letting her read the synopsis before. She will be going in completely blind

It took her about 15 minutes, but Jocelyn realized this was going to a be a thriller once the phonecall with the police officer kept getting stranger and stranger.

This movie was really good, but I felt really comfortable while watching it. It is even more depressing when you realize how much of it is actually true. There was a point in the movie where I said "Nope, no one would actually take it this far", but everything that happened in the movie happened in real like.

True story that most of it was based on.

The Mount Washington McDonald's scam has been the basis of four media depictions:

A short film Plainview,[18] which played the festival circuit in 2007–2008.
Episode 17 of season 9 of the television show Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (April 29, 2008) featured Robin Williams as the caller. The character played by Williams identified himself as "detective Milgram," a reference to the famous Milgram experiment, which studied unreasonable obedience to authority.
The 2012 feature film Compliance, directed by Craig Zobel.[19]
The 2016 play Mai Dang Lao, written by David Jacobi,[20] which opened at the Victory Gardens Theatre in Chicago.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:30 am

I can't believe someone would go along with that. I guess if a cop is on the phone telling you to rape someone, what else can you do.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:07 am

I bet Wilkins liked this movie because it can almost count as a single room movie. 75% of the movie takes place in the manager's office. The other 25% is split between other parts of the restaurant and the phone caller's house.

I didn't mention the performances in my post last night. I thought everyone was exceptional.
-Ann Dowd (Patty from The Leftovers) played a believable manager and I could *almost* understand stand why she was as compliant as she was.
-Bill Camp (Detective Box from The Night Of, and the crazy Aussie from The Leftovers) nailed the role of the older creep. It was gross watching him enjoy the power and started making the poor girl do things the fake police officer wasn't asking him to do.
-I thought the guy playing the fake cop was very convincing. When you only heard him over the phone he seemed very well spoken and authoritative. It was unsettling to see he was doing all of this at home and even had a daughter of his own.
-I am surprised the lead girl hasn't become a bigger star. Dreama Walker. Looks like she has had some long roles on a couple of TV shows, but that's about it. The Good Wife. Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23
Tag

Postby Tag » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:29 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I can't believe someone would go along with that. I guess if a cop is on the phone telling you to rape someone, what else can you do.

I assume this is sarcastic tone... I hope
-Tag
*Formerly known as Slumdog Billionaire

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
Tag

Postby Tag » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:34 pm

This movie was absolutely awful and I demand my 90 minutes back. Rarely do I get so upset at how unbelievable a story is.

While I do believe there are people in fast food industry (like any industry) dumb enough to fall for this it's still frustrating because it's so incresibly obvious.

1- why not ask for police badge number?
2- just go to police station. Can't detain without reason, if I was girl I'd say let's drive there how.
3- call your boss and make sure it's kosher.
4- the whole thing is so impossible to believe. Frustrating as hell to watch
-Tag

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:43 pm

Tag wrote:Source of the post This movie was absolutely awful and I demand my 90 minutes back. Rarely do I get so upset at how unbelievable a story is.

Are you frustrated with the movie or the fact this actually happened? This movie is almost entirely based on real events remember.

I do agree though, it is very frustrating that everyone went along with this and took everything at face value. Teenagers are dumb and are told to do what adults tell them, especially an officer of the law. It is harder to make excuses for the manager. She feared for her job and the girl's safety fell second to this.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:47 pm

I just watched the dateline video about this story. That manager was so stupid and deserves to go to jail almost as much as her former fiance.
Tag

Postby Tag » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:20 pm

Tyler wrote:
Tag wrote:Source of the post This movie was absolutely awful and I demand my 90 minutes back. Rarely do I get so upset at how unbelievable a story is.

Are you frustrated with the movie or the fact this actually happened? This movie is almost entirely based on real events remember.

I do agree though, it is very frustrating that everyone went along with this and took everything at face value. Teenagers are dumb and are told to do what adults tell them, especially an officer of the law. It is harder to make excuses for the manager. She feared for her job and the girl's safety fell second to this.

Great point Tyler. I guess as a father to two angels it just makes my skin crawl. I just can't believe how incompetent the manager was. 1 million things she should have done differently.
-Tag

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:13 am

Tag wrote:Source of the post Great point Tyler. I guess as a father to two angels it just makes my skin crawl. I just can't believe how incompetent the manager was. 1 million things she should have done differently.

It's funny because we had a similar conversation in college about Flight, but now the roles are reversed. I disliked that movie because I couldn't believe Denzel's character's actions. It was hard for me to wrap my head around how someone could be so abusive to themselves and you defended that movie saying it showed a realistic example of addiction.

You hated this movie because of the actions done by the characters and, more importantly, their real life counterparts.

What's my point? It's hard to appreciate a movie when it only causes you negative emotions.

Return to “Movies”