Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Big Sick | Amazon studios | Kumail Nanjiani, Zoe Kazan, Holly Hunter, Ray Romano

Discuss your favorite movies
Blue Jackets

The Big Sick | Amazon studios | Kumail Nanjiani, Zoe Kazan, Holly Hunter, Ray Romano

Postby Blue Jackets » Wed May 03, 2017 6:41 am

A couple deals with their cultural differences as their relationship grows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX3Regj6nAg
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed May 03, 2017 7:19 am

I'll check this out when it's on streaming
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:41 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I'll check this out when it's on streaming

Came on streaming last week and we watched over the weekend. This was an impressive movie. I went in almost blind (I didn't watch the trailer above). I just knew it starred Kumail Nanjiani and was based on the writer's life. I thought it was just going to be a rom-com about immigrants accepting their son dating a white woman.

SPOILERS
I was totally wrong about both my assumptions. It was Kumail and his wife who wrote it and it was based on the true story of how they started dating, and more importantly, how Emily almost died after being in an induced coma for weeks. This is an unbelievable story and I'm glad the couple decided to share it.

I read the IMDB trivia on this movie and wanted to share the most important facts:
-In real life, Emily spent a total of 12 days in a coma. 3 months later, she and Kumail were married.
-The fight between Emily and Kumail, when Emily discovers the pictures of Pakistani women in Kumail's room, never happened in real life. The real Emily, however, did recall how tension had arisen between two after Kumail wouldn't introduce her to his family.
-Writer Emily V. Gordon mentioned that her real life parents are quite different than their on screen depiction.
-In this movie, when the character of Kumail finally tells his parents that he is (1) in love with Emily; (2) Emily is not Pakistani; and (3) Emily is very (maybe mortally) ill, Kumail's mother immediately shuns him (telling him "you are not my son") and remains quite angry with him for the duration of the movie, only showing a small sign of thawing at the very end of the movie. During an "All Things Considered" interview with the real Kumail Nanjiani and his real-life wife and co-screenwriter, Emily V. Gordon, Nanjiani said that this scene was one way in which his real life was very different from its depiction in this movie--that in reality, when his mother first heard about Emily and her serious illness, she was very concerned and supportive, and it was only once Emily was out of the coma and it was clear that she would recover that Mrs. Nanjiani expressed her anger at Kumail for dating a white woman and for only pretending to be amenable to an arranged marriage to a Pakistani woman. Gordon added that in their real lives, Kumail's mother "never, never once, never came close to her disowning" Kumail.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:52 am

I loved this movie a lot. The story was original and powerful and it was funny throughout. I thought the whole movie was brimming with sincerity in most of it's scenes, and the actors did a phenomenal job portraying it.

I only found out at the end credits that this was a mostly true story, which made it even better for me. I enjoyed this movie a lot, and it deserves its 98% on RT.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:06 am

I would love to see this movie receive some Oscar nominations.
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post the actors did a phenomenal job portraying it

Article I read agrees with you.
Possible Nominations: Best Picture, Best Actor (Kumail Nanjiani), Best Supporting Actor (Ray Romano), Best Supporting Actress (Holly Hunter), Best Original Screenplay

I think the acting was good, but I don't think the roles were big enough for anyone to get nominated. Holly Hunter showed probably the most range.
I personally think a best picture nomination would be justified. It is weird calling this an original screenplay when it is based on their life. I guess "true" stories are often told in book form first and then adapted to a movie (such as Lion from last year).
megatron

Postby megatron » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:46 pm

I watched this yesterday and loved it too! I did not know this was a true story until the end either. Kumail was great in this. As heavy as the situation was, I still had plenty of lol moments.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Return to “Movies”