Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Movie studios are blaming Rotten Tomatoes for killing movies no one wants to see

Discuss your favorite movies
Blue Jackets

Movie studios are blaming Rotten Tomatoes for killing movies no one wants to see

Postby Blue Jackets » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:30 am

https://qz.com/995202/movie-studios-are ... ed-to-see/

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales and Baywatch were never going to be critical darlings. The former is the fifth film in a franchise that should have been retired years ago, if Hollywood had any mercy at all. And the other is an action-comedy about lifeguards. Enough said. Both movies led the domestic box office to its worst Memorial Day weekend showing in nearly 20 years.

Insiders close to both films blame Rotten Tomatoes, with Pirates 5 and Baywatch respectively earning 32% and 19% Rotten. The critic aggregation site increasingly is slowing down the potential business of popcorn movies. Pirates 5 and Baywatch aren’t built for critics but rather general audiences, and once upon a time these types of films — a family adventure and a raunchy R-rated comedy — were critic-proof. Many of those in the industry severely question how Rotten Tomatoes computes the its ratings, and the fact that these scores run on [the movie-ticket buying site] Fandango (which owns RT) is an even bigger problem.

Dwayne Johnson, who stars in Baywatch, publicly called out critics and then schooled them on movie economics.

Bold move from this critic who watched #Baywatch w/ other critics who laughed their ass off, but then they decide to trash it publicly. https://t.co/k8x6XFBzPd
— Dwayne Johnson (@TheRock) May 25, 2017

Oh boy, critics had their venom & knives ready. Fans LOVE the movie. Huge positive scores. Big disconnect w/ critics & people. #Baywatchhttps://t.co/K0AQPf6F0S
— Dwayne Johnson (@TheRock) May 26, 2017

Whaa? Who taught you economics? 35-45% of your budget in just one territory (US) is excellent. Our worldwide rollout begins next week.
— Dwayne Johnson (@TheRock) May 28, 2017

Filmmaker Brett Ratner, who directed such classics as Rush Hour and X-Men: The Last Stand, has called Rotten Tomatoes “the worst thing that we have in today’s movie culture.” He told Entertainment Weekly:
In Middle America it’s, ‘Oh, it’s a low Rotten Tomatoes score so I’m not going to go see it because it must suck.’ But that number is an aggregate and one that nobody can figure out exactly what it means, and it’s not always correct. I’ve seen some great movies with really abysmal Rotten Tomatoes scores.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:56 am

Do studios think RT comes up with a single score by themselves? RT doesn't rank anything, it is a collection of scores from critics and fans. What a silly excuse for bad performance at the box office. "People knew my movie was bad ahead of time so they didn't want to see it"
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:15 am

I don't look at reviews at all before going to a movie. if i want to see it i'm going to see it.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:18 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post I don't look at reviews at all before going to a movie. if i want to see it i'm going to see it.

That was me too, before having a kid. Jocelyn and I use to see a movie a week, and went to whatever looked interesting to us. That's not the case anymore. I wanted to see Baywatch, but after seeing the bad reviews I figured it wasn't worth the hassle of getting a babysitter. I'll save that for a movie that I want to see AND is getting good reviews. Case in point, I asked the in-laws to babysit next Wednesday so I can see Wonder Woman with Purple_Hayes at Flix.
Blue Jackets

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:24 am

Hollywood is terrified of Rotten Tomatoes
Vanity Fair recently got its mitts on an independent study commissioned by 20th Century Fox in 2015. Called “Rotten Tomatoes And The Box Office,” the study concluded, “The power of Rotten Tomatoes and fast-breaking word of mouth will only get stronger. Many Millennials and even Gen Xers now vet every single purchase through the internet, whether it’s restaurants, video games, make-up, consumer electronics, or movies. As they get older and comprise an even larger share of total moviegoers, this behavior is unlikely to change.”

“Consider not giving the critics a chance to slam you,” is one solution offered up by Fox’s internal report. “While it’s never a great feeling to withhold from critics, now it may help to at least preserve your Friday.”
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:10 am

Unfortunately I think this is going to kill creativity.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:24 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Unfortunately I think this is going to kill creativity.

Disagree. A lot of poorly reviewed movies are rehashed ideas that are strictly cash grabs - PotC 17, The Mummy, Baywatch, etc. Original ideas that are good will make money.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:59 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Disagree. A lot of poorly reviewed movies are rehashed ideas that are strictly cash grabs - PotC 17, The Mummy, Baywatch, etc. Original ideas that are good will make money.

That is an opinion that I will allow you to have.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:26 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Unfortunately I think this is going to kill creativity.

Disagree. A lot of poorly reviewed movies are rehashed ideas that are strictly cash grabs - PotC 17, The Mummy, Baywatch, etc. Original ideas that are good will make money.

Its no fluke that the two highest grossing films this summer so far are the two highest rated movies on Rotten Tomatoes so far this summer.

People are tired of wasting their money on crappy movies. Hollywood needs to hold themselves to a higher level of movie. By the way, the highest grossing films are both comic book movies and one is a sequel. You can make a great sequel or rehash. Hollywood has lost touch with quality. Sequels, reboots, rehashes are a part of the story from the beginning of the business. The difference is the quality in which they are written, directed or produced. 21 Jump St got it right... Baywatch, Chips, Starsky & Hutch got it wrong.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Movie studios are blaming Rotten Tomatoes for killing movies no one wants to see

Postby Tyler » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:47 pm

Amen Purple. Well put!
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:54 am

I do have to say that I watched Baywatch, where it wasn't good, it wasn't that bad. Don't know if I would have hit it as hard as RT did. It does not live up to the comedy of 21 Jump St. My issue with both Chips and Baywatch was that they tried to stuff so much into it from the shows. Should have tried to make their own movies like 21 Jump St did. Realize that less sometimes means more.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Movie studios are blaming Rotten Tomatoes for killing movies no one wants to see

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:25 am

purple_hayes wrote:I do have to say that I watched Baywatch, where it wasn't good, it wasn't that bad. Don't know if I would have hit it as hard as RT did. It does not live up to the comedy of 21 Jump St. My issue with both Chips and Baywatch was that they tried to stuff so much into it from the shows. Should have tried to make their own movies like 21 Jump St did. Realize that less sometimes means more.
21 Jump Street had characters from the tv show in the movie too....
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:30 am

Tyler wrote:21 Jump Street had characters from the tv show in the movie too....

Spoiler! So does Baywatch... they are even listed in the opening credits.

21 Jump St seemed to handle it differently. They created new characters to place in a world where the TV show happened. But Baywatch & Chips recreated characters with different back stories and storylines. I think the 21 Jump St way gave them more freedom to create better comedic storylines where Baywatch and Chips seemed to be making fun of the TV show characters, almost insulting them.

Return to “Movies”