Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Adventures of Tintin (2011) and hyper realistic animated movies

Discuss your favorite movies
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:42 am

Nothing says 4th of July like watching an animated movie about a European that was directed by a New Zealander. The family watched TinTin yesterday. I don't think it was a super popular animated movie, so here's a trailer to refresh your memory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnl6WlEjQWQ

I saw it when it first came out on DVD 5 years ago, but Jocelyn had never seen it. The movie is pretty solid, but I'm not here to talk about the plot, I want to only talk about the animation. I have no doubts that Evie thought this was a live action movie. Animated movies can usually hold her attention for the whole movie, but she was getting a letting restless during this movie. She was interested in the dog, but everything else probably seemed too lifelike and boring to her. Other than the character's noses being a little exaggerated, I thought the animation looked almost real. It was certainly getting into the territory of uncanny valley for me.

Uncanny Valley: used in reference to the phenomenon whereby a computer-generated figure or humanoid robot bearing a near-identical resemblance to a human being arouses a sense of unease or revulsion in the person viewing it.

During the movie I was wondering why we don't see more movies like this, but I think I can answer that myself.
1) Expensive. Motion capture is often used to get the performances exactly the same as the actor
2) Kids probably don't like it. They wanted to exaggerated humans like in Despicable Me 3
3) It's creepy.

Other movies that fall into this category. I haven't seen any of these in full.
Polar Express (2004)
A Christmas Carol (2009)
Mars Needs Moms (2011)

Quick thoughts on the PG rating of TinTin. If this movie existed in a vacuum I think the rating would be appropriate, but it's odd when you compare it to Finding Dory or Inside Out, both of which were also PG. TinTin was very violent - there were people shot to death and others were slashed/stabbed with swords, there was even blood at times. The supporting lead was literally an alcoholic who Snowy (the dog) gave rubbing alcohol to him to drink instead of water because they wanted him to be drunk.

I'm not saying this should have been PG13 and I'm not saying it's inappropriate for most kids. I'm just saying if this can be PG maybe some of the Pixar movies could be G.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:15 am

Return to “Movies”