Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

American Beauty (1999)

Discuss your favorite movies
Tyler
Owner

American Beauty (1999)

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:21 pm

We watched this over the weekend. It was my second time seeing it and Jocelyn's first. I feel like someone made me watch it around 2006 (probably Wallinga).

It's hard to believe this movie is nearly 20 years old...but then you see some of the hairstyles and clothing.

It really dominated the Oscars the year it game out.
Best Picture
Best Actor in a Leading Role - Kevin Spacey
Best Director - Sam Mendes
Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
Best Cinematography

The movie was really entertaining, but I don't think it's better than The Green Mile or The Sixth Sense (2 other movies nominated that year). I've forgotten in the 10+ years of seeing it how weird the whole plot is. A man drastically changes his life just for the chance of maybe sleeping with his daughter's friend.

Jocelyn's favorite part was recognizing the daughter as the girl from Monkey Trouble and Hocus Pocus.

I think Family Guy can credit this movie with 15% of the jokes it makes.
CrckrJack

American Beauty (1999)

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:27 pm

This movie made my mom forever hate Kevin Costner.

LOL I WROTE KEVIN COSTNER WHEN I MEANT KEVIN SPACEY. My mom loves Kevin Costner.
Tyler
Owner

American Beauty (1999)

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:37 pm

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post LOL I WROTE KEVIN COSTNER WHEN I MEANT KEVIN SPACEY. My mom loves Kevin Costner.

You and Kathryn are meant to be.

She was okay with Spacey killing people in Se7en though?
wags83

American Beauty (1999)

Postby wags83 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:38 pm

I really liked this movie the first time I watched it and ended up getting the DVD. I've watched it a few more times after that and I like it less every time to the point that I don't much care for it at all now.
CrckrJack

American Beauty (1999)

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post She was okay with Spacey killing people in Se7en though?

I don't think she saw this.
Tyler
Owner

American Beauty (1999)

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I really liked this movie the first time I watched it and ended up getting the DVD. I've watched it a few more times after that and I like it less every time to the point that I don't much care for it at all now.

Is it because the older you get the more inappropriate Lester's actions become? He was snooping in his daughter's room to get her friend's phone number and called her just to breath heavily on the phone. The daughter knew this happened and her reaction was just "ewww..my dad is gross". No...your dad is harassing a teenage girl
wags83

American Beauty (1999)

Postby wags83 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post I really liked this movie the first time I watched it and ended up getting the DVD. I've watched it a few more times after that and I like it less every time to the point that I don't much care for it at all now.

Is it because the older you get the more inappropriate Lester's actions become? He was snooping in his daughter's room to get her friend's phone number and called her just to breath heavily on the phone. The daughter knew this happened and her reaction was just "ewww..my dad is gross". No...your dad is harassing a teenage girl

Yeah, probably. The first time I saw it, I was more engaged in the storyline of a middle-aged guy breaking through the monotony of his life and trying to find happiness that he never had. Then once you get past that, you realize that this character that you may or may not be rooting for is actually a wannabe statutory rapist.

Return to “Movies”