Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Mother! - Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer

Discuss your favorite movies
Blue Jackets

Postby Blue Jackets » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:42 am

A couple's relationship is tested when uninvited guests arrive at their home, disrupting their tranquil existence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtTE_DBKpRY
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:57 am

Too spooky for me!
Blue Jackets

Postby Blue Jackets » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:46 am

mother! for dummies
Spoils everything, but entertaining read for someone that likely isn't going to see it.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:09 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post mother! for dummies
Spoils everything, but entertaining read for someone that likely isn't going to see it.

I listened to my favorite podcast discuss this movie yesterday. 1 guy hated it, 2nd guy was on the fence, but they both agreed it was a work of art. They touched on some of the things mentioned in the Reddit post, but their take wasn't as thought out. I actually have a desire to see it after reading this...but I know I won't.

Over the weekend the movie also lost its Certified Fresh rating.

I need to see more of Darren Aronofsky's work:
Pi - 87%
Requiem for a Dream - 78%
The Wrestler - 98%
Black Swan - 87%
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:28 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post mother! for dummies

I don't know if spoiling this movie is such a bad thing. The way this movie was marketed (as a horror/suspense film) it might help the viewer to know what is going on. If I hadn't watched interviews, reviews, or read this Reddit, I may have been a bit upset watching this film. But now I know what this film is, I may enjoy it more. By more, I mean a little bit higher than zero, not like I would LOVE this movie.
Blue Jackets

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:41 am

Paramount Defends Choice to Release ‘mother!’
"This movie is very audacious and brave. You are talking about a director at the top of his game, and an actress at the top her game. They made a movie that was intended to be bold. Everyone wants original filmmaking, and everyone celebrates Netflix when they tell a story no one else wants to tell. This is our version. We don’t want all movies to be safe. And it’s okay if some people don’t like it."
Tyler
Owner

Re: Mother! - Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:02 am

Weird that they felt the need to make a statement at all, but kudos to them for saying not every movie has to be liked by everyone. Better than blaming the low numbers on RT like some studios did this summer.

Also, if they are embracing art and saying this movie is brave, why did they market it like a traditional horror movie? That was misleading.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:15 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Weird that they felt the need to make a statement at all, but kudos to them for saying not every movie has to be liked by everyone. Better than blaming the low numbers on RT like some studios did this summer.

Also, if they are embracing art and saying this movie is brave, why did they market it like a traditional horror movie? That was misleading.

You think marketing talks with upper level management?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:52 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Weird that they felt the need to make a statement at all, but kudos to them for saying not every movie has to be liked by everyone. Better than blaming the low numbers on RT like some studios did this summer.

Dollar Dollar bills y'all.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:32 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post
CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post

Dollar Dollar bills y'all.

this movie was completely mishandled. I think the production company was going for outrage and confusion to market the film. There are reports that the studio was ready for people to ask for their money back. With such a heady film, it should have been released on a limited basis first, to allow word of mouth to spread, then wide release. Its not a horror film, its an art house film. Something only cwilk would love
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:27 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post Something only cwilk would love

Lol

Return to “Movies”