Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Molly's Game - Aaron Sorkin, Idris Elba, Jessica Chastain, Chris O'Dowd, Kevin Coster, Michael Cera

Discuss your favorite movies
Blue Jackets

Molly's Game - Aaron Sorkin, Idris Elba, Jessica Chastain, Chris O'Dowd, Kevin Coster, Michael Cera

Postby Blue Jackets » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:41 am

The true story of an Olympic-class skier who ran the world's most exclusive high-stakes poker game and became an FBI target. Her players included movie stars, business titans and unbeknownst to her, the Russian mob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu4UPet8Nyc&feature=share
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Wilkins and I went to this today. It's one of those movies that came out very limited in 2017 so it can count for Oscars but the wide release was this year. I'll probably count it towards my 2018 movie list.

I thought the story was great and it was all new to me. Interesting to note that Aaron Sorkin wrote it, but it is his very first time directing a movie. The ice skating scene kind of showed this, it was all pretty silly.

Chastain and Elba were great. I never really liked Chastain, nor dislike her, but this movie won me over. She's a very good actress and did a lot with the character of Molly. Elba has a very powerful speech in this movie that was just great. Did I mention Chastain is at the top of my 2018 celebrity crush list, but I honestly found her outfits to be distracting. I guess Molly tended to dress like that because she had a room full of guys to impress.

From Reddit:
Things that did not happen
-The entire opening scene. While Molly was a Olympic tier skier, she never had a major wipeout injury that made her stop. She quit skiing voluntarily. They make the injury a huge part of the story.
-Molly never had a bad relationship with her father. She said he was tough on her and her brothers but she did not hate him like the movie portrayed.
-Charlie Jaffey doesn’t exist. Yes Molly had lawyers, but not a charismatic witty one.

Things that actually happened to Molly in real life
-A mobster did come to her home and pulled a gun to her head because she refused the mobs help in running her games. A couple weeks later, she read in the papers about the FBI arresting them in a sting with 125 people.
-Many big name actors from the likes of DiCaprio, Affleck would show up at her games.
-The FBI raid
-A player x did cause her to lose her LA game. Molly claims Toby Maguire called her to rub it in her face when it happened. There are hints that player x was him.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:45 pm

I always like these articles.
http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelf ... llys-game/
Funny that Chastain is actually a year older than Molly IRL and was playing a 25ish old version of her.

Molly ran two underground games that attracted some of Hollywood's biggest stars, including Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Macaulay Culkin, Alex Rodriguez, Pete Sampras and others. In her book, Bloom only mentions the celebrities who had already been outed in the media prior to the book being published. She stayed silent on the others, protecting their identities.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:32 pm

I loved everything about this movie. Didn't realize the bough thing was fake. That was like...huge part of everything, including the ending and her overall motivation for starting. Interesting that they made it up.

I loved how they did the narration of everything, even though I heard it turned a lot of people off. This would've probably been in my top 5 for 2017, but it's a hard movie to top.

I would recommend this to everyone. Originally, I thought I was going to hate it.

Return to “Movies”