Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Annihilation (2018)

Discuss your favorite movies
Tyler
Owner

Annihilation (2018)

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:24 pm

I agree wags. Portman is mainly Portman, but we saw he cells were splitting and turning to alien cells while in the shimmer. she brought that out with her, but no idea what that actually means.

Flower girl with glasses would have been neat. Were all of the flowers previous people? That part confused me, or the flowers were copying humans?
Tyler
Owner

Re: Annihilation (2018)

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:38 pm

I'm still thinking of the bear. It was weird the scientist immediately went with the mind melt theory. I would have said the bear just learned to mimic the scream
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Annihilation (2018)

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:32 pm

The bear was so damn creepy. That was a crazy nope moment.

It seems that everything immediately tries to merge with everything. The fire burning everything at the end alludes to that, but I liked the more subtle ones, like glass on the trees because its part of the sand surrounding them.

The more I think about this, the less sense it makes. The alien merged with final Portman, but is this a bad thing, what does it mean? If the cells were still in Kaine, why did he just randomly get better once the lighthouse burnt down? Why didn't they just go in from the ocean side?!? Why didn't they roll up in a tank? Why didn't they try taking small steps into the shimmer instead of full-blown expeditions each time? Why did some people turn refract faster than others?

If they showed trees absorbing the sand and turning into glass, then why didn't the electronics every get manipulated?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:37 pm

Werd. Take one step in and take one step back out. Or tie a rope to someone. It was cool they lost 3 days worth of memories right away, but that was ever explained.

How long did they say Portman was in there? Wasn't it months the guy on the outside said at beginning of the movie?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:15 pm

When Portman first went into the hole her leader didn't have a face, then when she turned around she did. Did she get copied by the chrome thing too and it was just finishing? If so, what happened to original lady?

I don't actually think there are answers to all of these questions.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Annihilation (2018)

Postby cwilkins88 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:17 pm

Tyler wrote:When Portman first went into the hole her leader didn't have a face, then when she turned around she did. Did she get copied by the chrome thing too and it was just finishing? If so, what happened to original lady?

I don't actually think there are answers to all of these questions.
That's what I'm guessing. She just finished copying. And yeah, I don't know what happened to the other one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Annihilation (2018)

Postby Blue Jackets » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:24 am

"Annihilation was exactly what people have been asking for. Female leads, women in STEM, minority representation, LGBT representation, etc. and no one said a damn thing about it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtePG4Pon_M
wags83

Annihilation (2018)

Postby wags83 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:01 am

I guess I didn't look how well it did at the box office, but they're right, nobody really talks about it. Outside of CPT, I don't think I know anybody who saw it. But it seems like everyone here who saw it liked it. It does kinda suck that whenever we get a somewhat original, non-super hero/comic book, non-sequel/reboot movie, they never seem to do all that well.

Side note, the guy in that video is drinking a Moon Man. I wonder if they're from Wisconsin.
Tyler
Owner

Annihilation (2018)

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:46 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Outside of CPT, I don't think I know anybody who saw it.

Or even heard of it
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Annihilation (2018)

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:07 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post Outside of CPT, I don't think I know anybody who saw it.

Or even heard of it

Why would you talk about movies outside of CPT!?
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Annihilation (2018)

Postby Blue Jackets » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:01 am

Annihilation's director explains the film's psychedelic ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1O1Oam0yQs
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:26 am

I wouldn't say he explained the ending, just that he wanted it to be trippy at the end.
purple_hayes

Annihilation (2018)

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:14 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I wouldn't say he explained the ending, just that he wanted it to be trippy at the end.

That does nothing but make the director sound like a pompous ass. He just explained why he made the movie difficult to understand.
purple_hayes

Annihilation (2018)

Postby purple_hayes » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:30 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post
It seems that everything immediately tries to merge with everything. The fire burning everything at the end alludes to that, but I liked the more subtle ones, like glass on the trees because its part of the sand surrounding them.

I believe since it was a beach, devoid of actual plant life, the crystal trees are the sand trying to be trees more than the trees turning crystal.

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post
The more I think about this, the less sense it makes. The alien merged with final Portman, but is this a bad thing, what does it mean? If the cells were still in Kaine, why did he just randomly get better once the lighthouse burnt down? Why didn't they just go in from the ocean side?!? Why didn't they roll up in a tank? Why didn't they try taking small steps into the shimmer instead of full-blown expeditions each time? Why did some people turn refract faster than others?

I don't think that Lena (Natalie Portman) was not who she was, at the end she wasn't an alien. She went through changes. The tattoo on her arm after touching that one chick. She did tests on her blood, much like cancer cells she was studying at John Hopkins, her cells began to change. I believe that she took from the shimmer.

I read an article that talked about the ideas in this movie. Everyone who went into the shimmer got out what they wanted from life. The chick who cut herself to feel alive because a new life form who's sole purpose is to be alive. Ventress, who was dying from cancer, wanted answers before she moved on. So, the alien gave her the answers she was looking for at the light house and she moved on. Lena was self destructive. She destroyed her whole marriage, she kept her self in solitude after Kane went missing, she went into the bubble not to find answers but to self destruct as she knew there was no coming back. It was this driving point she gave to the alien, and why it chose to destroy itself. The question now begins... is Lena changed for knowing what she knows and will begin to seek out life... like in the fake Kane... or continue her path of self destruction.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Annihilation (2018)

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:57 pm

purple_hayes wrote:

I read an article that talked about the ideas in this movie. Everyone who went into the shimmer got out what they wanted from life.

Did those 2 ladies want to be eaten by a bear nightmare monster? Was that their life's calling?
purple_hayes

Annihilation (2018)

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:28 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Did those 2 ladies want to be eaten by a bear nightmare monster? Was that their life's calling?

In part, yes. They both wanted to die. Is why all of them were on the team to go into a suicide mission.
purple_hayes

Annihilation (2018)

Postby purple_hayes » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:43 am

Great video that helps explain a theory about Annihilation, about 8 min long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdAfah15V-Y
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:05 pm

I'll watch eventually, but I see the image is of her cup. Obviously it didn't have blood in it like her husband's, so she isn't the same thing that he was

Return to “Movies”