Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Kids movies that don't need their own thread

Discuss your favorite movies
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:29 am

With it getting colder out we have been watching a lot more movies as a family.

Iron Giant was obviously the highlight of the batch (and got its own thread). But I wanted to call out the other ones we saw.

The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature (2017) - 9%
Evie actually watched this TWICE over the weekend. Jocelyn got up early with her Saturday and she picked it and then Sunday she asked to watch it again when I woke up with her. I would give the movie 3.75/10 for adults but 8/10 for kids. A lot to keep their attention. Evie liked "the bunnies" (actually mice) the most. The head mouse was voiced by Jackie Chan. There were actually a lot of famous people in this movie.

Rio (2011) and Rio 2 (2014)
Not to be confused with Rango, the Johnny Depp lizard movie. I think some people assume they are the same thing.
Both movies were cute and fun. I think I liked the first one a little bit more. This isn't Pixar quality though where you could watch without kids. If it wasn't for trying to entertain a toddler the other week I never would have considered them. Anne Hathaway and Jesse Eisenberg voiced the leads in both of them.

Princess and the Frog (2009)
Disney cartoon (not CGI). This was the first time seeing it and I liked the half that I saw.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:11 am

The book of life is incredible and we definitely watched over Halloween.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Kids movies that don't need their own thread

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:16 am

cwilkins88 wrote:The book of life is incredible and we definitely watched over Halloween.
We watched that a few years ago. It's hard finding animated movies that I haven't seen since we don't like rewatching stuff unless it's been awhile.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:52 am

Where the Wild Things Are (2009)
We watched this over the course of a week since it didn't hold Evie's attention very long. This movie is so bizarre. I can't imagine many kids liked it because how weird and moody it was.
Same director as Her from a few years ago.

Meet the Robinsons (2007)
Another movie that Evie didn't really like, but she watched the whole thing. Every 20 minutes she would say "I dont like it. different one" but she kept powering through.
I think I saw this movie with DannyFanny back when I worked at the theater, so when Jocelyn and I guessed the 2 plot twists it wasn't that impressive. It's an okay kids movie, but nothing really stands out about it.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:29 am

I liked Meet The Robinsons.

Rango (2011)
Been a few years since I watched this. Basic new sheriff in a corrupt town plot but for kids.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:07 am

DannyFanny wrote:I liked Meet The Robinsons.

Rango (2011)
Been a few years since I watched this. Basic new sheriff in a corrupt town plot but for kids.
I need to watch that one again. I feel like Jocelyn and I tried watching it on a road trip before and she lost interest. It's one of the few movies to beat out Disney/Pixar for best animated movie of the year.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:35 pm

DannyFanny wrote:
Rango (2011)

We watched this yesterday and Jocelyn kept saying how this wouldn't be something she could show her classes. Uses the word "hell" and "damn" a lot. A lot or murder and death too.

I thought it was really good, but I totally understood what she was saying. Very adult natured compared to Pixar. Took 3 sittings to finish it with Evie's attention span.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Kids movies that don't need their own thread

Postby Tyler » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:06 pm

Watching 1987's The Brave Little Toaster. I was always confused how the blanket had a face, but I finally learned it. He is an electric blanket and that's the knob.

A lot more singing in this than I remembered, as in there is singing.

The movie is very dated but Evie loved it. Didn't get up at all. Right after it ended she yelled "I like that movie!!"
Tyler
Owner

Re: Kids movies that don't need their own thread

Postby Tyler » Tue May 29, 2018 12:54 pm

Hoodwinked 1 and Too. Meh. Evie liked them because cartoon, but these aren't very good. Animation is rough. Nick Jr shows look better than this.

Oh wow, the first one is 13 years old now. We are old.
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:32 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Watching 1987's The Brave Little Toaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcPtVwOu9QY

Return to “Movies”