Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Sherlock Gnomes - James McAvoy, Emily Blunt, Michael Caine, Johnny Depp, Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Mary J. Blige

Discuss your favorite movies
Tyler
Owner

Sherlock Gnomes - James McAvoy, Emily Blunt, Michael Caine, Johnny Depp, Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Mary J. Blige

Postby Tyler » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:03 am

We'll see this for sure in theaters, maybe even bring the kid.
goldenrod

Postby goldenrod » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:39 pm

1st one was pretty good
Tyler
Owner

Re: Sherlock Gnomes - James McAvoy, Emily Blunt, Michael Caine, Johnny Depp, Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Mary J. Blige

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:18 pm

Out this weekend. Pumped! Will be seeing for sure.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:47 am

I don't want to be overly critical of this movie because it is a kids movie and it did indeed entertain a 2.5 year old, but this was not good. The first Gnome had some charm to it being limited to mostly garden gnomes, this one opens up the world too much and basically becomes Toy Story. At one point they are actually in a toy store and all of the toys are alive. They refer to them as "ornaments" so they could bring more things alive, but it just felt like a C rated Toy Story at some points.

Not to toot my own horn, but I called the Watson angel within the first minute of the movie. The movie made this pretty obvious so I shouldn't feel special, but I still do. I did not however, predict the twist of the twist. It actually was funny when the movie itself called it complicated and unnecessary.

The movie wasn't overly funny. I didn't hear many adults or kids laughing during the showing and it was a 1/2 full theater. I do have to give the movie some credit for their Sherlock and Watson characters. I am probably reading waaay too much into this, but I recognized some of the plot points from the RDJ movies and BBC show.
-RDJ movie ended on the London bridge, same as this
-BBC Sherlock had a plot point of Sherlock jumping off a building and faking his own death with Watson believing it, this movie did that, but with Watson being the faker
-BBC Watson has a cane and walked with a limp, at the end of this movie it is Sherlock walking with a limp and needing the cane
-BBC Moriarty died and came back to Sherlock in the form of video messages, same thing happened in this movie.

Closing thoughts. Good on these A-list celebrities for doing a week's worth of voice work to get a paycheck. Not faulting them for that.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:30 am

It wasn't good, but I expected it to much worse tbh. They did a good job adding the elements from all the Sherlock books, but it's done so many times that I doubt it took A lot of research

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Return to “Movies”