Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Trainspotting (1996) and T2 Trainspotting (2017)

Discuss your favorite movies
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:32 am

I watched the original over the weekend and got halfway through the 21 year old sequel.

This must have been one of Ewan McGregors first big roles? The first movie was good and I can understand why people love it so much. I had some troubles understanding the thick accents at first, but by the end of the movie I really didn't notice them. I read on IMDB they use softer accents during the first 20 minutes to get the audience use to it. I think people would call the movie a dark comedy, but I would put more emphasis on the dark than comedy part. There was a death of a baby that was really horrific and it was really disturbing to see someone detox.

I'm really enjoying the 2nd movie. They had a scheme to steal debit cards which was hilarious and actually really clever with how they targeted a group of people that they could easily guess the PIN for. They also started using the debit cards just before midnight so when the clock hit midnight they could use them all again.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:46 am

I have the second movie on my DVR.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:55 am

I finished T2 last night. I really enjoyed the movie and I'm glad I had just seen the first one. They do quite a few brief flashbacks to the first movie during some key moments, as well as spend some time up front bringing everyone up to speed, but having just seen the first movie made a lot of callbacks stand out. I imagine people who have been fans of Trainspotting for the past 20 years loved the sequel.

I didn't follow the announcement of T2 at all, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear if people were upset about it or called it a cash grab. The ending of the original really didn't leave anything open for an obvious sequel, but T2 was able to pick up 20 years later and came up with a reason to bring the main characters back together.

The movie had a lot of emotional depth and I enjoyed a lot of that more than the comedy bits. Easy movie to recommend if you're a fan of the first.

I also really like Danny Boyle's directing. He has some gorgeous shots. I want to rewatch 127 Hours and Slumbdog Millionaire now, as well as check out the rest of his work. Oh yeah, he did 28 Days Later too.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:22 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I also really like Danny Boyle's directing. He has some gorgeous shots. I want to rewatch 127 Hours and Slumbdog Millionaire now, as well as check out the rest of his work. Oh yeah, he did 28 Days Later too.

He also directed The Beach and Sunshine.

Return to “Movies”