Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Mortal Engines (2018) - Presented by Peter Jackson

Discuss your favorite movies
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:51 am

I watched this movie over the weekend. There is waaaaaay too much going on for a 2 hour movie. Or at least they tried to fit way too much into it. The idea of the movie isn't bad and is actually kind of interesting. But after watching it all, I have so many questions. They do almost nothing to explain how the world came to be like this. We don't really know when the story is taking place, just some time in the distant future (only knowing this because of a scene where they say a Twinkie with a "best by" date of the year 2118 is "Over a thousand years old"). The world seems to have shifted back to a Pangea-like land mass, but I don't think this was ever confirmed. There is a zombie-robot guy that doesn't REALLY need to be included, and we don't really get much background on why zombie-robots exist except that they were used in some war at some point in time, but this is the only one left. There is a side of the world that seems to be really nice with people living relatively peacefully in regular, static (as in not on wheels) cities, while the other half of the world is a terrifying free-for-all with giant cities on wheels that are constantly trying to kill each other....seems like everyone could just live in a regular city with no problem.

I dunno, there was just too much going on that distracted from the main plot. I guess it's based on a book, might be an interesting read.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Mortal Engines (2018) - Presented by Peter Jackson

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:33 pm

Lol. Sounds horrible. So it is never explained why these wheeled cities even need to be a thing? Especially if normal cities can exist.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:30 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post So it is never explained why these wheeled cities even need to be a thing?

They allude to a war from long ago, but never get into details. Unless I missed something at the beginning of the movie.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Especially if normal cities can exist.

It seems like the world is split in half. One half is a horrible free-for-all where you almost certainly are killed or captured as a slave if you're not in a wheeled city and the other half is fine. It's split by a mountain range and the only way a wheeled city could pass is a narrow gap with a giant wall that the non-wheeled-city people defend. Again, no idea how or why this is the way the world is.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Mortal Engines (2018) - Presented by Peter Jackson

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Lolol. I actually want to see this now because it sounds even sillier than I thought. Someone likes the visuals of cities on wheels and didn't stop to create a reason to justify them.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:30 am

This movie was actually really fun. No lore in explaining anything, just that humans are dumb blah blah, don't use technology now, except for giant mechanical London.

Reminds me of stardust a lot.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:16 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post This movie was actually really fun. No lore in explaining anything, just that humans are dumb blah blah, don't use technology now, except for giant mechanical London.

See, I would have enjoyed it way more had I gotten some of that lore. The issue is that they already had too much in the movie to try to jam in a backstory as well. Although, Peter Jackson hasn't had an issue with making 3 hour movies before. Maybe there will be an extended edition that will include the history.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:50 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post This movie was actually really fun. No lore in explaining anything, just that humans are dumb blah blah, don't use technology now, except for giant mechanical London.

See, I would have enjoyed it way more had I gotten some of that lore. The issue is that they already had too much in the movie to try to jam in a backstory as well. Although, Peter Jackson hasn't had an issue with making 3 hour movies before. Maybe there will be an extended edition that will include the history.

I'd go back and forth on this. Maybe a short prequel for the backstory would be nice, but not sure I would've ever watched this movie if it was 3 hours long.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:25 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post

I'd go back and forth on this. Maybe a short prequel for the backstory would be nice, but not sure I would've ever watched this movie if it was 3 hours long.

Yeah, they would need to figure out what to cut in order to include a backstory without it being a super long movie. I don't think I care enough to watch a dedicated prequel. They could take the entire arch of the zombie-robot out to make it shorter.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:02 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post

Yeah, they would need to figure out what to cut in order to include a backstory without it being a super long movie. I don't think I care enough to watch a dedicated prequel. They could take the entire arch of the zombie-robot out to make it shorter.

That piece felt like they were just trying to make it longer. It had nothing to do with anything, and only to get the necklace back to the girl, but if the rozombie was never introduced, it would've been null point.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:48 am

I will never watch the movie, but this trailer made me laugh a lot just based on the stuff I've read here from Wags and Wilkins. There is ZERO point to have cities on wheels eating each other.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:18 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I will never watch the movie, but this trailer made me laugh a lot just based on the stuff I've read here from Wags and Wilkins. There is ZERO point to have cities on wheels eating each other.

You just don't even understand.

Return to “Movies”