Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Titan - Sam Worthington, Taylor Schilling

Discuss your favorite movies
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:33 am

A military family takes part in a ground-breaking experiment of genetic evolution and space exploration.

https://youtu.be/x1lCft5SwYQ
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:59 am

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:37 am

My excitement for this is basically zero unless I hear glowing reviews. Netflix does not have a great movie track record.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:20 am

I forgot this was a thing. I haven't watched those two trailers but the still image and quick synopsis makes me not really care about it.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:46 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post My excitement for this is basically zero unless I hear glowing reviews. Netflix does not have a great movie track record.

Bright was awesome!
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:07 am

Watched this over the weekend... thought the premise looked interesting... but its a lot of build up to nothing. Its hard to put this movie into words without spoiling it... but honestly, its so bad that you shouldn't watch it.... but spoilers ahead:

First, it starts off by introducing you to a team of military personel from across NATO. Second, they give you a bleak outlook on the environment of the world. So, this team is built to go into space to visit Titan. Actually, I think I have those backwards, but anyway. The volunteers for this program are told they will be given experimental drugs that will change their DNA to live on the harsh environment of Titan for a two year mission to go there and come back. You begin to learn through the rigorous program montages that the scientists know not everyone from the program will survive the training/medical procedure and that the people or person going to Titan won't return. So, how is this program saving the world that is over populated, used up all its resources, and are constantly warring going to save the human population by sending one guy to a planet light years away? I thought this movie was dumb.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:15 am

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post but honestly, its so bad that you shouldn't watch it

Thanks for the taking a bullet for us. How does the movie end then? He gets sent to the planet and never returns? Should it be very obvious if you are training for a mission and no one mentions how you get home?

Is the entire point of the mission to prove humans can live here and they will send more humans to the planet once he proves it's okay?
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:24 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post but honestly, its so bad that you shouldn't watch it

Thanks for the taking a bullet for us. How does the movie end then? He gets sent to the planet and never returns? Should it be very obvious if you are training for a mission and no one mentions how you get home?

Is the entire point of the mission to prove humans can live here and they will send more humans to the planet once he proves it's okay?

The movie sets up the notiong that before they volunteered for this mission, they were hand selected for survivorabliity, and they were given briefings about how they would be given experimental drugs to turn them into a super human, much like Captain America. Where they would be sent to Titan for a two year mission, then return. But complications begin to happen where someone dies in the shower and another one begins to become overly emotional and violent. Sam Worthington's wife is a doctor, she finds that they put something living into his body they didn't tell him about. The girl dies in the shower because developed gills, the guy who was violent is killed because he began develop bat charateristics. That's when they find out they are beyond the point of no return. They have to press forward to turn them into this 'homo titanus' that this doctor has been wanting to create. Only one woman and one man survive the procedure. The girl is killed. The program gets taken over by NASA as it was ran by the military. Sam Worthington is sent to Titan. It ends with him swimming and flying all alone on Titan while his family and NASA are studying him on Earth.

Honestly, I don't know the point of the movie. You are told the Earth will not be able to support life for much longer. But our only hope is dying off and being killed. I think it loses its way or something. I'll have to read more about the movie to understand what it is.
Tyler
Owner

Re: The Titan - Sam Worthington, Taylor Schilling

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:04 am

Thanks for the recap. I will 100% not watch now. Why is it so hard for Netflix to make a good movie?
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:09 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Thanks for the recap. I will 100% not watch now. Why is it so hard for Netflix to make a good movie?

I think Netflix just wants content. They just green light anything that could be something. I feel that as they flood their system with original content, they are forgetting to make sure its good. This movie could have been good. But you have so many others on the same storyline... Cloverfield Paradox... dystopian world where you look to space to find the answer to the problem that lies within.
purple_hayes

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:09 am

Christopher Nolan did it better

Return to “Movies”