Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

American Animals - distributed by MoviePass

Discuss your favorite movies
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:42 am

It premiered at the 2018 Sundance Film Festival on January 19, 2018.[2] The film's distribution rights were purchased by The Orchard and MoviePass Ventures for $3 million.

Four young men mistake their lives for a movie and attempt one of the most audacious heists in U.S. history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yToJXBkOdI0
Tyler
Owner

Re: American Animals - distributed by MoviePass

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:59 am

I had no idea MoviePass bought a movie or was even in the market for that.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:45 am

I saw an email from MoviePass about this movie but I deleted it without really reading it.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:10 pm

This came out on DVD yesterday and digital last week. Watched tonight and I am ready to put it in the top 3 of 2018 movies for me. I have more to say about it, but I will save it for the morning. Very original movie that I am excited to talk more about.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:51 am

I won't spend a lot of time describing the plot, you can watch the trailer or read it elsewhere. It's the true story of 4 college kids plan and execute a heist to steal artwork from the school library.

What makes this movie so unique is that it blends documentary testimonies in with the story. The movie will cut to one of the real life people portrayed in the movie and he will say "I remember X telling me the plan during a party", the movie will then show the 2 of them chatting at a party about the plan. Then it will cut to X and he will say "I think we were in the car when it was first brought up". The movie then shows the 2 characters in the car talking about it. They do this effect a handful of time and it works very well.

Aside from that, I thought the performances were great and the stakes were so real. In typical movies detaining or knocking out a guard is such a typical thing the character and audience doesn't even think of the consequences. In this movie the library had to be dealt with. It would seem like zero stakes in a normal heist movie, but there was so much riding on it here. Fun fact: the library is played by Aunt Lydia from The Handmaid's Tale/Peggy from The Leftovers.

There is a lot more to talk about, but I want others to go into the movie spoiler free. There is a very long article (Vanity Fair I think) that was written a few years ago about the events. That inspired the movie. I sent that to my Kindle to read later.

I can easily recommend this movie to everyone here.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:09 am

Bump for Wilkins and TylerSucks
tylersucks

Postby tylersucks » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:42 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Bump for Wilkins and TylerSucks

I like it. It gud.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:01 am

This was really good. I liked how meticulous and simple the original plan was....all the way up until they were idiots and threw away all of their masks and let everyone see their face. That was dumb.

The mix of actual interview and distortion of their memories was a really nice touch.

Return to “Movies”