Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Wilkins List of Horror Movies That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Discuss your favorite movies
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:13 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post Maniac (2012): Elijah Wood plays a serial killer who scalps his victims and attaches the scalps to mannequins. This movie is gory and can be hard to watch at some points. I did like the way it was shot mostly first person from Elijah's POV and many shots of him are through reflections or photos. Apparently this is a remake so maybe some day I'll find the original and give it a watch.

I assume he's playing Frodo in every movie, no matter the plot.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:24 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I assume he's playing Frodo in every movie, no matter the plot.

Yeah he lures his victims in with the promise of the One Ring then goes all Gollum on them.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:58 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post Apparently this is a remake so maybe some day I'll find the original and give it a watch.

Maniac (1980): Obviously same premise as the remake, but I'd tell people to watch the remake over this one. I liked the first person filming of the remake. I also prefer the ending in the remake. Again some scenes were hard to watch, but more because they were laughable or lingered too long. Due to the film's low budget, it was filmed guerilla-style. I think that makes it more interesting than had it been filmed with proper permits.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:31 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post
DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post Maniac (2012): Elijah Wood plays a serial killer who scalps his victims and attaches the scalps to mannequins. This movie is gory and can be hard to watch at some points. I did like the way it was shot mostly first person from Elijah's POV and many shots of him are through reflections or photos. Apparently this is a remake so maybe some day I'll find the original and give it a watch.

I assume he's playing Frodo in every movie, no matter the plot.

Welp, I'm sold on this.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:31 am

The Collector (2009): To pay off a debt an ex-con breaks into the home of his employer only to discover a more devious criminal has all booby trapped the house. This was once planned to be a prequel in the Saw franchise. What I liked about the movie were the deaths were somewhat creative and fun and the main character is relatively intelligent. That being said the acting is bad, timeline is wonky, and the villain is imbued with horror movie "super strength." It is revealed that the Collector is
► Show Spoiler
which is pretty predictable. It would have been more fun if there was no connection. How did this guy set up traps in what appears to be minutes? I don't recommend this movie unless you're a fan of the Saw movies and home invasion types.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:03 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post The Collector (2009): To pay off a debt an ex-con breaks into the home of his employer only to discover a more devious criminal has all booby trapped the house. This was once planned to be a prequel in the Saw franchise. What I liked about the movie were the deaths were somewhat creative and fun and the main character is relatively intelligent. That being said the acting is bad, timeline is wonky, and the villain is imbued with horror movie "super strength." It is revealed that the Collector is
► Show Spoiler
which is pretty predictable. It would have been more fun if there was no connection. How did this guy set up traps in what appears to be minutes? I don't recommend this movie unless you're a fan of the Saw movies and home invasion types.

So this is pretty funny to me. The Collector is one of my favorite horror movies and let me tell you why!

I didn't care for the Saw like killings etc that were here, but what I loved was the Genre switching they did occasionally. I watched this movie as a background work movie, and I legitimately thought this was a home invasion movie, but not with all the killings and traps, etc.

I loved this movie because of the traps and how ridiculous it was. For some reason, I really enjoyed the moving back and forth between the rooms and him not being a complete idiot doing it.

There is actually a sequel to this called 'The Collection' that was interesting, but if you didn't like the first, definitely don't watch the second.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:37 am

I knew what I was getting into. Biggest gripe is the timeline of events. I watched some scenes again because Arkin walks through an area twice then when we get back to the area a third time it's covered in tripwires. This couldn't have been more that 15 minutes in movie time. The door Arkin enters opens no problem, then it's locked with four unique deadbolts minutes later. Maybe a "sequel" to this but through the Collector's perspective doing the mundane things would make me feel differently about this movie.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:44 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post I knew what I was getting into. Biggest gripe is the timeline of events. I watched some scenes again because Arkin walks through an area twice then when we get back to the area a third time it's covered in tripwires. This couldn't have been more that 15 minutes in movie time. The door Arkin enters opens no problem, then it's locked with four unique deadbolts minutes later. Maybe a "sequel" to this but through the Collector's perspective doing the mundane things would make me feel differently about this movie.

I could watch an entire movie of Hermantrout from Breaking Bad/Better Call saul, just setting up the traps. That'd be really entertaining.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:45 am

Fun Fact: Arkin plays the villain from punisher season 2.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:50 pm

Bone Tomahawk (2015): A sheriff and his posse hunt a group of cannibalistic Indians who captured the town's doctor. Starring Kurt Russell and Patrick Wilson. I would say this incorrectly labeled as a horror movie, more of an action-thriller. Last 1/3 has some pretty gruesome scenes but not terrible. While slow, the movie never felt like it was dragging. That's good because it has a run time of 132 minutes. People died really easily in this movie, which kind of hinders any horror aspect of the film. Watch if you're into Kurt Russell or westerns and "horror" movies.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:56 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Bone Tomahawk (2015): A sheriff and his posse hunt a group of cannibalistic Indians who captured the town's doctor. Starring Kurt Russell and Patrick Wilson. I would say this incorrectly labeled as a horror movie, more of an action-thriller. Last 1/3 has some pretty gruesome scenes but not terrible. While slow, the movie never felt like it was dragging. That's good because it has a run time of 132 minutes. People died really easily in this movie, which kind of hinders any horror aspect of the film. Watch if you're into Kurt Russell or westerns and "horror" movies.
If you liked this, watch brawl on cell block 99 and dragged across cement. Brawl is fukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkt up

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Wilkins List of Horror Movies That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:34 am

DannyFanny wrote:Bone Tomahawk (2015): A sheriff and his posse hunt a group of cannibalistic Indians who captured the town's doctor. Starring Kurt Russell and Patrick Wilson. I would say this incorrectly labeled as a horror movie, more of an action-thriller. Last 1/3 has some pretty gruesome scenes but not terrible. While slow, the movie never felt like it was dragging. That's good because it has a run time of 132 minutes. People died really easily in this movie, which kind of hinders any horror aspect of the film. Watch if you're into Kurt Russell or westerns and "horror" movies.
I watched this one! There is a dedicated thread for it I'm pretty sure. I also watched Brawl, but not Dragged.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:00 pm

The Witch (2015): After Puritan family's unbaptized baby was kidnapped while under that watch of their eldest child, tensions rise high in the cramped, dying farm while a witch maybe among them. This movie was not what I was expecting. It was tense, but not overly gory or filled with jump scares. It is based on old folk tales of witchcraft and possession. It was a fitting follow up to the second season of Sabrina. So if you watched the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina on Netflix, give the Witch a viewing.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Wilkins List of Horror Movies That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Postby Tyler » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:05 pm

DannyFanny wrote:The Witch (2015): After Puritan family's unbaptized baby was kidnapped while under that watch of their eldest child, tensions rise high in the cramped, dying farm while a witch maybe among them. This movie was not what I was expecting. It was tense, but not overly gory or filled with jump scares. It is based on old folk tales of witchcraft and possession. It was a fitting follow up to the second season of Sabrina. So if you watched the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina on Netflix, give the Witch a viewing.
I'm surprised there wasn't a thread for this one. I even searched VVitch because I think some people called it that. I obviously never saw it, but I remember Hayes liking it. This is where Ana Taylor-Joy made her break I think
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:36 pm

I didn't find anything while searching for "The Witch" didn't think about trying VVitch (spelled like that because there wasn't a W in old English.) You are correct this is Anya Taylor-Joy's first major role.

This is what I expected. Not much of a spoiler, but if you want to experience the film yourself don't look.
► Show Spoiler
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 am

Watched a couple movies last night. They weren't horror but were thrillers, and I'm using this as a catch all to talk about these types of movies.

Circle (2015): A group of 50 survivors wake up in a room. They are forced to stand in a circle, and every 2 minutes one of them is killed by a vote from the people in the circle. It's your typical wake up in an unknown room and try to survive movie. There are just too many characters to build any real connection to the characters. They could have ended it on a who killed who note but chose not to. If these types of movies interest you don't click the spoiler. If they don't, go ahead and read away
► Show Spoiler

Green Room (2015): Not much to say what hasn't already been said in the Green Room thread. I liked the movie. Will check out other films by this director.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:50 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post Watched a couple movies last night. They weren't horror but were thrillers, and I'm using this as a catch all to talk about these types of movies.

Circle (2015): A group of 50 survivors wake up in a room. They are forced to stand in a circle, and every 2 minutes one of them is killed by a vote from the people in the circle. It's your typical wake up in an unknown room and try to survive movie. There are just too many characters to build any real connection to the characters. They could have ended it on a who killed who note but chose not to. If these types of movies interest you don't click the spoiler. If they don't, go ahead and read away
► Show Spoiler

Green Room (2015): Not much to say what hasn't already been said in the Green Room thread. I liked the movie. Will check out other films by this director.

Circle was interesting for sure. Neat concept and fun-ish ending, but yeah. It's fairly obvious for certain characters on their reaction, and you're not really tied to any specific person.

I haven't watched a horror movie in like 2 months, excluding Hagazussa, which I'll post about now.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:59 am

Hagazussa - What the fuck. End of review. No idea what this German movie was even about. Some witch peed on some rats and then the movie ended.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:03 am

I feel like Wilkins has talked to me about The Circle before, back when we worked together at Nationwide.
I read the spoiler. Yes. I have heard of this for sure.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:52 am

It Comes At Night (2017): During a viral outbreak, a family tries to survive out in the woods, until a desperate young family seeks refuge. Framing the story like that makes it seems like a home invasion type of film, it isn't. The start living together until something goes wrong. I feel like this movie could have built more tension between two families in acts 1 and 2 before going all out in act 3. It has a few jump scares, but the film is pretty mild. I feel like pacing is this movie's downfall. If you like tight spaces with some paranoia in your movie, give it a go.

The Ritual (2017): Four friends go on a hiking trip to honor their friend who recently passed away. When one of the friends gets injured, they decide to take a short cut through the spooky forest in order to get to the lodge quicker. The movie starts as a pretty decent psychological horror movie, but slow movies into a monster movie as it progresses. That's my personal problem with the movie. It was creepy and interesting, but it lost that as it moved onto monster movie. Actually if I knew it was going to be a monster movie, I would have been more receptive to it. Watch if you like monster movies, watch the first 2/3rds if you don't.

Veronica (2017): After using a ouija board to contact her father, Veronica starts experiencing paranormal activities. The premise is your pretty standard possession/demonic presence film. I generally don't like these movies because they always feel so slow and use cheap scare tactics. This one wasn't too bad. Apparently this is based on a true story. Note this film is in Spanish. I recommend it if you are into these types of movies though.

Return to “Movies”