Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Wilkins List of Horror Movies That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Discuss your favorite movies
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:48 pm

You're Next (2011): During a weekend getaway, a family's vacation home gets attacked by mask-wearing criminals. Phrased that way it sounds like a generic home invasion movie. I liked this movie. A strong female lead that makes intelligent decisions. I didn't like how it was shot with close,tight shots and some jarring back and forth, but I understood the reason for it. It was primarily shot on a handheld for this reason. It's pretty gory with one over-the-top kill and has some black humor that made me laugh. If you're looking for a home invasion movie, I can recommend this.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:40 am

Wounds (2019): I watched this movie because Arnie Hammer and Zazie Beetz. The movie starts with a bar fight, and after a broken bottle to the face, some kids run out of the bar and forgot their phone. The bartender (Arnie Hammer), gets the phone unlocked, and finds disturbing videos and photos on the phone. Turns into a slow decent into alcoholism and toxic relationships.

This movie ended up having no payoff at the end. It just kind of stopped on a weird scene and then was done. It was a bad ending.

However, Arnie and Zazie did so well, that I can say I still enjoyed the movie. 8/10 performance. 3/10 ending.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Wilkins List of Horror Movies That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Postby Tyler » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:48 pm

Danny and Wilkins, you are the resident horror special. I've seen both of you talk about laughing at horror movies or they are casual for you to watch. Question to you both, what movies have actually scared you? Was it jump scares or the story?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:41 pm

I don't get scared at horror movies. I often get really scary dreams after, which i really enjoy.

A movie that really did scare that shit out of me, was Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum. And Grave Encounters.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:53 am

I don't know if I could recall a movie that scared me. Recently at least. I used to be scared of horror movies as a child, and Mothman Prophecies really scared me then. I think anything based on a true story or can conceivably happen are the scariest to me. Green Room would be a good example.
That's not to say I don't get startled at a jumpscare or tense during horror movies. They just don't bother me after I've watched them.

I've listened to a few podcasts that gave me the creeps. It Could Happen Here terrified me because I could visualize that happening. Astonishing Legends series on Black Eyed Children scared me too. I don't know why maybe because I don't want any creepy kids knocking on my door while I'm sleeping.

That stuff and creepy dolls.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:27 am

DEATHGASM (2015): Two teenage metalheads unknowingly summon a demon to bring about the end of the world. It's much more comedy than horror, but plenty of gore none-the-less. I had a few good chuckles, but nothing laugh out loud. A few ridiculous deaths with my favorite being the dildo deathpunch. They should have used that as their band name. I'm still trying to find something that captures the feeling I had when watching Todd and The Book of Pure Evil from some years ago, and this has been the closest thing I found.
Watch if your a fan of metal music and silly horror movies.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:47 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post dildo deathpunch

Never thought I'd read those words put together in such a way
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:26 pm

DannyFanny wrote:DEATHGASM (2015): Two teenage metalheads unknowingly summon a demon to bring about the end of the world. It's much more comedy than horror, but plenty of gore none-the-less. I had a few good chuckles, but nothing laugh out loud. A few ridiculous deaths with my favorite being the dildo deathpunch. They should have used that as their band name. I'm still trying to find something that captures the feeling I had when watching Todd and The Book of Pure Evil from some years ago, and this has been the closest thing I found.
Watch if your a fan of metal music and silly horror movies.

I liked this movie a lot. But it's not a serious horror movie, for sure.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:21 am

Black Christmas (2019) - Wow, what a terrible piece of shit. Normally when movies are this bad, i don't even make an entry, but this was just terrible.

The film is so predictable. Everything is just exposition and talking to drive plot points, but it's not hidden, so you know. oh hey, they mentioned this, that's definitely going to be a plot point. great.

Basically nothing happens for like 50 minutes and then someone dies and the main character goes "oh hey, well i saw a ritual in a frat house that looked like any frat ritual, s
► Show Spoiler
Fucking what?

Then, I can let the movie breath a little, but the feminist plot that is shoved down your throat. It's not like a well guised female revenge movie or something like that. It's literally a Men vs Women movie, but it's so over the top. Honestly, if the men went around killing the women with their literal c0cks out and the women retaliated by using exploding feminine guile and glitter, it would have been LESS on the nose.

At the end, I looked up this movie on RT to see what it had, and at a 39% it was about 30% higher than I expected, but to find out this is a REMAKE? Like, they tried this once and this was supposed to be better?!

Ugh, just don't.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:45 am

Hmmm. I thought I wrote about the original in this thread. Either forgot or wasn't cataloguing my horror movies at the point.

I've only seen the original Black Christmas (1974). I think you'd like that one if you haven't seen it. It one of the earlier slasher flicks and an inspiration to Halloween. It's a little slow from what I remember, but definitely creepy if you've ever read those stories about people secretly living in houses.

I know there was a remake in 2006 and now this one in 2019. Haven't seen either, might still check them out because I really like comparing the original to the remakes in the horror genre.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:17 am

The Platform (2019): A Spanish film. Two prisoners are put into a room in a vertical prison with an undetermined amount of floors. A large hole is cut into each level, and once a day a platform is lowered into the room with food. The catch is that platform passes through every level, and in order to eat you must eat whatever is left over on the platform before it descends to the next level. Watching the trailer, I said this looked a lot like the Cube tied with Snowpiercer. Watching the movie, I confirmed that is an accurate description.

Premise was interesting. There is some gore. Movie made me feel a bit uneasy at times. There are some glaring questions you could ask or you can just suspend your disbelief and enjoy the film. I recommend for the fans of one room movies or if you think the Cube tied with Snowpiercer sounds like something you want to watch.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:47 am

I just watched this. Explained to Tyler that this was basically vertical Snowpiercer. I liked the movie. Obvious plotholes, but how couldn't there be. I liked the conversations and thought the story was interesting enough. This film might even deserve it's own thread.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:55 pm

I'd watch that
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:58 pm

I assume it is subbed?
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:17 pm

Yes it's subbed. Not terribly dialogue heavy though.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:30 pm

I actually watched a dubbed version. Normally I prefer subbed buy this was okay because there's not a ton of dialogue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:43 am

I did end up watching The Platform a couple weeks ago - the dubbed version. It was fine, but I probably wouldn't recommend watching while eating dinner.

I also watched Fantasy Island over the weekend, which I guess is horror. Not really much that's scary. It was kind of fun yet stupid throughout most of the movie, but the "twist" at the end was really dumb and made me not like it. I feel like the premise could be done a lot better.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Thu May 14, 2020 9:30 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post
There is actually a sequel to this called 'The Collection' that was interesting, but if you didn't like the first, definitely don't watch the second.

First you didn't mention anything about this movie starting with a murder rave.
Second this was a fun little romp through a Death Trap Hotel.
Albeit a predictable movie, deaths were interesting. I think I would put this above the first one just because it doesn't have the step up issue I had with the first. Cops and ambulance got to the hotel almost instantly, but it's not like "The Collector" fully booby trapped a room in a matter of minutes here. Definite recommend for Saw type movies or if you liked the Collector.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu May 14, 2020 9:32 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post
cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post
There is actually a sequel to this called 'The Collection' that was interesting, but if you didn't like the first, definitely don't watch the second.

First you didn't mention anything about this movie starting with a murder rave.
Second this was a fun little romp through a Death Trap Hotel.
Albeit a predictable movie, deaths were interesting. I think I would put this above the first one just because it doesn't have the step up issue I had with the first. Cops and ambulance got to the hotel almost instantly, but it's not like "The Collector" fully booby trapped a room in a matter of minutes here. Definite recommend for Saw type movies or if you liked the Collector.

You can't go around spoiling murder raves.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu May 14, 2020 10:15 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post You can't go around spoiling murder raves.

I'm not even going to watch anymore

Return to “Movies”