Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Wilkins List of Horror Movies That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Discuss your favorite movies
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:48 pm

You're Next (2011): During a weekend getaway, a family's vacation home gets attacked by mask-wearing criminals. Phrased that way it sounds like a generic home invasion movie. I liked this movie. A strong female lead that makes intelligent decisions. I didn't like how it was shot with close,tight shots and some jarring back and forth, but I understood the reason for it. It was primarily shot on a handheld for this reason. It's pretty gory with one over-the-top kill and has some black humor that made me laugh. If you're looking for a home invasion movie, I can recommend this.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:40 am

Wounds (2019): I watched this movie because Arnie Hammer and Zazie Beetz. The movie starts with a bar fight, and after a broken bottle to the face, some kids run out of the bar and forgot their phone. The bartender (Arnie Hammer), gets the phone unlocked, and finds disturbing videos and photos on the phone. Turns into a slow decent into alcoholism and toxic relationships.

This movie ended up having no payoff at the end. It just kind of stopped on a weird scene and then was done. It was a bad ending.

However, Arnie and Zazie did so well, that I can say I still enjoyed the movie. 8/10 performance. 3/10 ending.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Wilkins List of Horror Movies That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Postby Tyler » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:48 pm

Danny and Wilkins, you are the resident horror special. I've seen both of you talk about laughing at horror movies or they are casual for you to watch. Question to you both, what movies have actually scared you? Was it jump scares or the story?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:41 pm

I don't get scared at horror movies. I often get really scary dreams after, which i really enjoy.

A movie that really did scare that shit out of me, was Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum. And Grave Encounters.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:53 am

I don't know if I could recall a movie that scared me. Recently at least. I used to be scared of horror movies as a child, and Mothman Prophecies really scared me then. I think anything based on a true story or can conceivably happen are the scariest to me. Green Room would be a good example.
That's not to say I don't get startled at a jumpscare or tense during horror movies. They just don't bother me after I've watched them.

I've listened to a few podcasts that gave me the creeps. It Could Happen Here terrified me because I could visualize that happening. Astonishing Legends series on Black Eyed Children scared me too. I don't know why maybe because I don't want any creepy kids knocking on my door while I'm sleeping.

That stuff and creepy dolls.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:27 am

DEATHGASM (2015): Two teenage metalheads unknowingly summon a demon to bring about the end of the world. It's much more comedy than horror, but plenty of gore none-the-less. I had a few good chuckles, but nothing laugh out loud. A few ridiculous deaths with my favorite being the dildo deathpunch. They should have used that as their band name. I'm still trying to find something that captures the feeling I had when watching Todd and The Book of Pure Evil from some years ago, and this has been the closest thing I found.
Watch if your a fan of metal music and silly horror movies.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:47 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post dildo deathpunch

Never thought I'd read those words put together in such a way
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:26 pm

DannyFanny wrote:DEATHGASM (2015): Two teenage metalheads unknowingly summon a demon to bring about the end of the world. It's much more comedy than horror, but plenty of gore none-the-less. I had a few good chuckles, but nothing laugh out loud. A few ridiculous deaths with my favorite being the dildo deathpunch. They should have used that as their band name. I'm still trying to find something that captures the feeling I had when watching Todd and The Book of Pure Evil from some years ago, and this has been the closest thing I found.
Watch if your a fan of metal music and silly horror movies.

I liked this movie a lot. But it's not a serious horror movie, for sure.

Return to “Movies”