Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Wilkins List of Horror Movies That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Discuss your favorite movies
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:24 pm

Pooka! (2018) On Hulu. A new in town actor gets an acting gig, but it is more than he bargained for? The actor gets a job playing a playing mascot for this year's hottest toy, Pooka. The job start taking its toil mentally on him. This movie is more psychological thriller than horror. It had one decent jump scare that was almost the opposite of a jump scare. Ending was very much like Jacob's Ladder. It's a short movie, I'd say give it a watch if you don't have anything better.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:41 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post Pooka! (2018) On Hulu. A new in town actor gets an acting gig, but it is more than he bargained for? The actor gets a job playing a playing mascot for this year's hottest toy, Pooka. The job start taking its toil mentally on him. This movie is more psychological thriller than horror. It had one decent jump scare that was almost the opposite of a jump scare. Ending was very much like Jacob's Ladder. It's a short movie, I'd say give it a watch if you don't have anything better.

Good enough for me. I'll check it out.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:09 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Pooka! (2018) On Hulu. A new in town actor gets an acting gig, but it is more than he bargained for? The actor gets a job playing a playing mascot for this year's hottest toy, Pooka. The job start taking its toil mentally on him. This movie is more psychological thriller than horror. It had one decent jump scare that was almost the opposite of a jump scare. Ending was very much like Jacob's Ladder. It's a short movie, I'd say give it a watch if you don't have anything better.
I'm going to watch this in about thirty minutes, but apparently this is part of a larger anthology TV series called into the dark. They do one a month and typically corresponds to something seasonal. This is episode 3

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:33 pm

watched the Alien series over the past 36ish hours.

Alien (1979): A merchant vessel receives a distress signal from a derelict ship crash landed on an uninhabited moon. The crew is attacked by an unknown life-form. This is my favorite of the series. It's a horror movie, but the characters for the most part make rational decisions.

Aliens (1986): Decades after the events of Alien the sole survivor is awoken after her escape shuttle is found in space. The uninhabited moon has been colonized and now has lost connection with the rest of the Weyland-Yutuni Corporation. Ripley is sent back to the moon with a group of space Marines to find out what is wrong. If you are wanting to watch the Alien series, stop after this one. It's more of an action movie than a horror movie.

Alien 3 (1992): Weeks or months after Aliens, the space shuttle carrying survivors catches on fire while the crew is in their cryopods. The shuttle launches the crews' escape pod. The pods crash land on a planet housing a defunct maximum security prison. You guessed it an alien was aboard the escape pod and now got loose on the planet. Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister) is in this film so that's neat. This movie is entirely too long and boring(I watched the special edition added about 30 minutes to the film per the internet's suggestion). CGI is really bad too but what can you expect from the early 90's.

Alien: Resurrection (1997): 200 years after Alien 3, Ripley is cloned due to revelations from 3. This is also a bad movie but I would say it's more entertaining than 3. It was a pretty star studded cast, Sigourney Weaver, Winona Ryder, Ron Perlman.

Prometheus (2012): This movie is a prequel to the rest of the series. A group of scientists find the potential planet that houses the lifeforms that created human life. It kind of shows the origins of the xenomorph. I remember being disappointed by this movie when I first saw this movie. On second viewing it wasn't as bad as I thought. Apparently there are some cut scenes that clarify questionable actions of characters. Those needed to be left in.

Alien Covenant (2017): A sequel to Prometheus, a crew of manning a colonization ship picks up a rogue signal while doing repairs to their ship. Finding the origin of the signal, the captain decides to investigate due to the planet being habitable. Don't watch this movie. The crew acts too erratic and makes poor decisions. It's the first look at the xenomorph, but the timelines don't add up with Alien.

All in all this series had a lot of promise and interesting mythos, but it's poorly executed. Watched the first two then stop. The brilliancy lies in the mystery.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Wilkins List of Horror Movies That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:30 pm

I'm impressed Danny by you watching them all and your right ups. I've never seen an Alien movie to completion other than AVP and Prometheus
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:46 am

Blood Fest (2018): This movie was originally slated as a Rooster Teeth webseries. A group of horror movie fans must survive a theme park based on the most iconic horror movies. This had as a Cabin in the Woods vibe to it. Ending is kind of lame, but it's a fun little romp. Like most of the movies I watch in this thread watch it you have nothing better to watch. It has Ned from Spider-Man: Homecoming.

American Satan (2017): A group of aspiring musicians move to California to chase their dream and in the process make a deal with the Devil. DTV had it classified as a horror/psychological thriller, but it's much more of a drama with thriller aspects. While this movie resonated with me (probably because it's premise involves music) the movie feels disjointed, and some symbolism is too on the nose (main character's last name is Faust). I'd skip this movie unless you are really into Bullet for my Valentine style of music. It does has some pretty notable cast members Malcolm McDowell, John Bradley (Samwell Tarly), Denise Richards, and few other familiar faces.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:04 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post American Satan (2017): A group of aspiring musicians move to California to chase their dream and in the process make a deal with the Devil. DTV had it classified as a horror/psychological thriller, but it's much more of a drama with thriller aspects. While this movie resonated with me (probably because it's premise involves music) the movie feels disjointed, and some symbolism is too on the nose (main character's last name is Faust). I'd skip this movie unless you are really into Bullet for my Valentine style of music. It does has some pretty notable cast members Malcolm McDowell, John Bradley (Samwell Tarly), Denise Richards, and few other familiar faces.

Did you ever watch The Devil's Candy?
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:17 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Did you ever watch The Devil's Candy?

No, it looks like it's on Netflix so I'l give it a go
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:22 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post

No, it looks like it's on Netflix so I'l give it a go

It's VERY good. Like way better than it looks. Dude is a painter/metal head, but not like in a stereotypical way. Super good dad etc, but its a solid movie.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:45 pm

Watched this tonight. It wasn't bad. Totally not what I expected when read the synopsis.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:10 pm

We watched half of Goosbumps 2 and had to turn it off because it was too spooky.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:17 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post We watched half of Goosbumps 2 and had to turn it off because it was too spooky.

I'm assuming for you, and not for Evie
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:18 pm

I was invested! I wanted to finish it
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:07 pm

cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:56 pm

Tyler wrote:Image
Well. Time to get some new movies

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:53 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post I watched Last House on the Left (1972) This movie might have been disturbing when it came out but most of the graphic scenes happen off screen. The movie has a weird juxtaposition of horror/comedy, but I wouldn't classify it as a horror comedy movie. It's almost like the scenes outside of the rape/torture/murder were there break up the horrific acts and lighten the tone of the movie. Maybe Wes Craven was going for dichotomy of life can be silly and fun but there are also some dark things that happen right outside your door. Music felt really off too.

Last House on the Left (2009): This movie is more graphic per se. The original had more implied rape that happened off screen. This one had a pretty graphic scene but fairly short. It had a darker tone and more of a thriller atmosphere than the first one. I don't think either are worth a watch unless you are a horror movie buff, but you'd watch the original regardless of my opinion. This one did have a pretty ridiculous closing scene though.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:00 pm

Play Misty for Me (1971): Clint Eastwood's first directorial debut and stars as Dave, a radio dj who meets an obsessive fan turned to dangerous stalker. Jessica Walter (Lucille Bluth,Malory Archer) plays the obsessive fan, Evelyn. She does an fantastic job alternating between adorning, sweet fan and completely psychotic stalker. The movie is a little slow and some scenes are poorly filmed. I'm crediting that to budget, technology/technique, and Clint's first film. Dave makes some stupid and questionable decisions, but due to the era Dave probably doesn't want to be emasculated.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Wilkins List of Horror Movies That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Postby Tyler » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:19 am

DannyFanny wrote:Play Misty for Me (1971): Clint Eastwood's first directorial debut and stars as Dave, a radio dj who meets an obsessive fan turned to dangerous stalker. Jessica Walter (Lucille Bluth,Malory Archer) plays the obsessive fan, Evelyn. She does an fantastic job alternating between adorning, sweet fan and completely psychotic stalker. The movie is a little slow and some scenes are poorly filmed. I'm crediting that to budget, technology/technique, and Clint's first film. Dave makes some stupid and questionable decisions, but due to the era Dave probably doesn't want to be emasculated.
Was it scary at all? I'm a baby when it comes to horror as we all know, but it's easy to watch old movies I think and not get scared (usually).
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:55 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Was it scary at all? I'm a baby when it comes to horror as we all know, but it's easy to watch old movies I think and not get scared (usually).

No. It's a thriller. I kind just use this thread as a catch all these types of films. Plus many older films aren't as scary as newer ones. Lighting, pacing, atmosphere, effects, etc... There are lots of reasons.
I didn't really point this out when comparing the two Last House of the Left films, but did mention the remake was much darker. The Original mostly took place during the day or pretty well lit areas and had these weird oafish bits between the graphic scenes. The whole cop subplot is just silly and that isn't in the remake. Now I don't whether the director wanted to break up the heavy and darker bits with comedy or he wanted to show these truly horrible things can happen in this world filled with a variety of characters, I don't know.
Whereas the Remake was much darker in lighting and tone. The second half of the film takes place in the house but the power is out due to a storm.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:59 pm

Maniac (2012): Elijah Wood plays a serial killer who scalps his victims and attaches the scalps to mannequins. This movie is gory and can be hard to watch at some points. I did like the way it was shot mostly first person from Elijah's POV and many shots of him are through reflections or photos. Apparently this is a remake so maybe some day I'll find the original and give it a watch.

Return to “Movies”