Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Wilkins List of Horror Movies That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Discuss your favorite movies
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:13 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post Maniac (2012): Elijah Wood plays a serial killer who scalps his victims and attaches the scalps to mannequins. This movie is gory and can be hard to watch at some points. I did like the way it was shot mostly first person from Elijah's POV and many shots of him are through reflections or photos. Apparently this is a remake so maybe some day I'll find the original and give it a watch.

I assume he's playing Frodo in every movie, no matter the plot.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:24 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I assume he's playing Frodo in every movie, no matter the plot.

Yeah he lures his victims in with the promise of the One Ring then goes all Gollum on them.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:58 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post Apparently this is a remake so maybe some day I'll find the original and give it a watch.

Maniac (1980): Obviously same premise as the remake, but I'd tell people to watch the remake over this one. I liked the first person filming of the remake. I also prefer the ending in the remake. Again some scenes were hard to watch, but more because they were laughable or lingered too long. Due to the film's low budget, it was filmed guerilla-style. I think that makes it more interesting than had it been filmed with proper permits.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:31 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post
DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post Maniac (2012): Elijah Wood plays a serial killer who scalps his victims and attaches the scalps to mannequins. This movie is gory and can be hard to watch at some points. I did like the way it was shot mostly first person from Elijah's POV and many shots of him are through reflections or photos. Apparently this is a remake so maybe some day I'll find the original and give it a watch.

I assume he's playing Frodo in every movie, no matter the plot.

Welp, I'm sold on this.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:31 am

The Collector (2009): To pay off a debt an ex-con breaks into the home of his employer only to discover a more devious criminal has all booby trapped the house. This was once planned to be a prequel in the Saw franchise. What I liked about the movie were the deaths were somewhat creative and fun and the main character is relatively intelligent. That being said the acting is bad, timeline is wonky, and the villain is imbued with horror movie "super strength." It is revealed that the Collector is
► Show Spoiler
which is pretty predictable. It would have been more fun if there was no connection. How did this guy set up traps in what appears to be minutes? I don't recommend this movie unless you're a fan of the Saw movies and home invasion types.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:03 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post The Collector (2009): To pay off a debt an ex-con breaks into the home of his employer only to discover a more devious criminal has all booby trapped the house. This was once planned to be a prequel in the Saw franchise. What I liked about the movie were the deaths were somewhat creative and fun and the main character is relatively intelligent. That being said the acting is bad, timeline is wonky, and the villain is imbued with horror movie "super strength." It is revealed that the Collector is
► Show Spoiler
which is pretty predictable. It would have been more fun if there was no connection. How did this guy set up traps in what appears to be minutes? I don't recommend this movie unless you're a fan of the Saw movies and home invasion types.

So this is pretty funny to me. The Collector is one of my favorite horror movies and let me tell you why!

I didn't care for the Saw like killings etc that were here, but what I loved was the Genre switching they did occasionally. I watched this movie as a background work movie, and I legitimately thought this was a home invasion movie, but not with all the killings and traps, etc.

I loved this movie because of the traps and how ridiculous it was. For some reason, I really enjoyed the moving back and forth between the rooms and him not being a complete idiot doing it.

There is actually a sequel to this called 'The Collection' that was interesting, but if you didn't like the first, definitely don't watch the second.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:37 am

I knew what I was getting into. Biggest gripe is the timeline of events. I watched some scenes again because Arkin walks through an area twice then when we get back to the area a third time it's covered in tripwires. This couldn't have been more that 15 minutes in movie time. The door Arkin enters opens no problem, then it's locked with four unique deadbolts minutes later. Maybe a "sequel" to this but through the Collector's perspective doing the mundane things would make me feel differently about this movie.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:44 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post I knew what I was getting into. Biggest gripe is the timeline of events. I watched some scenes again because Arkin walks through an area twice then when we get back to the area a third time it's covered in tripwires. This couldn't have been more that 15 minutes in movie time. The door Arkin enters opens no problem, then it's locked with four unique deadbolts minutes later. Maybe a "sequel" to this but through the Collector's perspective doing the mundane things would make me feel differently about this movie.

I could watch an entire movie of Hermantrout from Breaking Bad/Better Call saul, just setting up the traps. That'd be really entertaining.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:45 am

Fun Fact: Arkin plays the villain from punisher season 2.

Return to “Movies”