Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Wilkins List of Horror Movies That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Discuss your favorite movies
Tyler
Owner

Re: Wilkins List of Horror Movies That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Postby Tyler » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:41 pm

I wanted to see It Comes at Night. That one looked more thriller so something I could handle. Maybe I will check it out since the spooky part has been spoiled
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:47 pm

Tyler wrote:I wanted to see It Comes at Night. That one looked more thriller so something I could handle. Maybe I will check it out since the spooky part has been spoiled
I did not enjoy this movie at all. Loved Veronica and the ritual, but this movie was so slow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:13 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post The Ritual (2017):

I watched this on Netflix a while back. I agree with your take, it was pretty creepy through the first part of the movie before it becomes a monster movie. It was entertaining enough overall, and that's all I want in a horror movie.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:29 am

wags83 wrote:
DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post The Ritual (2017):

I watched this on Netflix a while back. I agree with your take, it was pretty creepy through the first part of the movie before it becomes a monster movie. It was entertaining enough overall, and that's all I want in a horror movie.
Agreed. I personally love the whole thing, but definitely the first half more

DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:36 pm

Rosemary's Baby (1968): A woman and her husband move into a new apartment. Eventual they decide to have children and subsequently get pregnant. As Rosemary's pregnancy progresses she suspects her husband and neighbors are manipulating and affecting her pregnancy. This is a classic horror movie, and a must for any horror buff.

Let Me In (2010): An outcast child makes friends with his new neighbor, only to discover she's a vampire. This is the American version of Let the Right One In. Now it's been probably close to 8 or 9 years since I've watched Let the Right One In, but from what I remember this is a pretty close remake. What didn't remember is that this is more of a love story than a horror movie. While it does have some gore, the truly terrifying parts are when Owen gets bullied. It would be interesting to see Swedish version again to compare. If you are just looking for a good vampiric love story with more horror than Lost Boys and more good than Twilight, you can't go wrong with the American version.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Sun May 05, 2019 6:12 pm

Watched the Predator series yesterday.

Predator (1987): A ground of elite military personnel are sent into the Guatemalan jungle to retrieve hostages. It is soon discovered that was a cover-up for the real mission. This movie has a lot of nostalgia for me. It was one of the first R-rated movies I remember seeing. For the most part the characters are smart, but get in over their head. Effects hold up pretty decent even compared to newer movies in the franchise.

Predator 2 (1990): Ten years after the events of Predator, a new predator observed the turf-war in the concrete jungle of LA. This movie has some notable faces, Danny Glover, Bill Paxton, Gary Busey, and Adam Baldwin. This movie also has a lot of nostalgia for me. It was a fun movie back then and still fun for me now. It's not a great movie nor would I recommend it to anyone, but god do I love it.

AvP (2004): After satellites discover an ancient pyramid under the ice of Antarctica, a group of scientist go to explore. They soon realize it's hunting ground for an alien species who happen to return every century... and guess what today is?! This movie had promise but like many films in the Alien franchise the beauty is in the stories not told. Neither franchise consider this canon, but it is the better of the two movies.

Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem (2007): A direct sequel to AvP. As the Predator ship is leaving Earth, an Alien bursts free from a predator's chest causing the ship to crash in Colorado. With the Alien/Predator hybrid on the loose and growing alien infestation, the town's residents fight to survive. A lone Predator Sherlock Holmes is dispatched to eliminate the threats. This movie would be trope after trope if you could see what is happening. Lighting is terrible.

Predators (2010): A random assortment of military and criminals wake up on an alien planet. Eventually they discover, they are being hunted for sport. This film introduces new sub-species of Predators and the eventual genetic modification plot point in the sequel. This movie was decent, but honestly my least favorite of the Predator proper series.

The Predator (2018): During a secret mission an Army Ranger encounters a space ship crashing. He retrieves evidence of an alien creature and sends it back to his residence. A Government agency trying to capture the Predator and its tech, arrest the Army Ranger to put him in an asylum so his information wouldn't be believed. All while a Super Predator is hot on the trail of the original Predator to execute him. This movie has a lot of sub-plot going on, but I enjoy the quick dialogue with the "Loonies." It has lot of decent continuity between Predator and Predator 2 even casting Jake Busey to play Keyes the son of Gary Busey's character in Predator 2. I liked this movie. It was a silly, fun movie, I could just turn my brain off to, but enough substance there to dig into the mythos of the Predator species.

My power rankings: Predator, Predator 2, The Predator, Predators, AvP, AvP:R. 2 is where it due to nostalgia not quality.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun May 05, 2019 7:38 pm

How did you watch 6 movies and finish at 6? Start at 9am and didn't stop?

That's a fun day though.

I'm glad you mentioned AVP2's light, or lack thereof. The only thing I remember from that movie is not seeing anything. The real surprise, GoT s08e03 had the same director.

You didn't even mention how being autistic gives you a super power in the newest one. More of us talked about the newest one here
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Sun May 05, 2019 9:35 pm

I watched them over the course yesterday. I actually started with Predator Friday night but got tired and finished the series around 1AM today. I did other things through out the day. Fun fact each main Predator movie has a run time of 107 minutes except Predator 2 which is 108.

Yeah I thought about mentioning the autistic superpowers. That was the plot of Mercury Rising too. I figure if Bruce Willis can get away with it, a silly action movie can too.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:18 am

The only thing I remember in AvP is that the hot girl gets killed and no one expected it.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon May 06, 2019 8:26 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post The only thing I remember in AvP is that the hot girl gets killed and no one expected it.

It's just as surprising the second time. Both the survivors and the Predator are in the hospital, but it's cut to look like they are on completely different levels. The survivors are running up some stairs while it looks like the Predator just entered the building. He must have climbed up the elevator shaft to get ahead of them though.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:20 pm

This makes me want to play Alien: Isolation again.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon May 06, 2019 3:22 pm

I just picked that up along with it's DLCs. I'm planning on playing that soon.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:23 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post I just picked that up along with it's DLCs. I'm planning on playing that soon.

It's pretty intense at points. you'll love it.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Wilkins List of Horror Movies That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Postby Tyler » Mon May 06, 2019 6:14 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:This makes me want to play Alien: Isolation again.
They do have a VR mod.... A lot of people say it's one of the best VR games even tho it was a mod someone tacked on
Tyler
Owner

Re: Wilkins List of Horror Movies That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Postby Tyler » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:48 pm

cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:55 pm

Interesting. I've only seen 2 of those. Gonjiam was soooo creepy.

DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:43 pm

Tis the season for spooks and scares.

Cube (1997): 6 strangers wake up in a cube-based labyrinth filled with deadly traps. With a wide range of personalities, they must work together to in order to escape. This is a must if you're into "one-room" movies. I haven't watched this one in awhile, but this is to preface my next two movies.

Cube 2: Hypercube (2002): Same basic premise but now it's 8 strangers...oooo spooky... The titular cube has been upgraded with some space-age decor, physics-defying augments and bad cgi. Will adding some interesting concepts, I would say this is the weakest of the series and requires too much suspension-of-disbelief even for a series as this. Watch this if you liked the first one, personally, I'd watch the third before this.

Cube Zero (2004): This is a prequel to the first movie, however we follow on operate of the Cube. This Cube seems to be in it's version 1.0, functional but not polished. I was with this one until the halfway point, then some silly things happened. This one is probably the second best mostly because it's beats follow a similar progression as the first, just from a different perspective. If I recall correctly, this is the goriest of the series.

All in all a pretty ok series. each movie clocks in around 90-100 minutes so not too much of a task to watch. The second and third lose some of the mystery behind the original. Again I recommend the first if you’re into the “one-room” movies, two and three of you liked the first.

Sleepaway Camp (1983): Years after a traumatizing accident, a young girl is sent to summer camp with her cousin. Shortly after arriving, people start turning up dead. This has become a cult classic due to it's infamous twist ending. Nothing too scary or gruesome, some implied sexual assault. Lots of cussing. If you're into slashers and summer camps, this is for you. Were summer camps big things in the 80's?

All of these movies can be found on Vudu under their free with ads viewing.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:55 pm

The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015): Two girls are left at a boarding school during the winter break. Rumor has it the nuns are satanist... ohh noo... Meanwhile an escaped mental patient is picked up by a couple headed in the direction of the school... what could happen next?!

I've had my eye on this movie for awhile after hearing it was a pretty scary movie and seeing it on a couple Taste of Cinema lists today. It stars Emma Roberts and Kiernan Shipka (Sabrina from the Netflix series), and is an A24 production. I thought this movie was boring, maybe it could have been interesting if I had not read a little about it before hand. It's not really scary, a little bloody but not over-the-top. I would say it has more of sense of dread. I'm going to post some spoilers
► Show Spoiler
I can't recommend this movie really. If really like the VVitch and want something not as good as that, then you might like this. It has a similar tone without the period piece.

Edit: I want to talk about the ending.
► Show Spoiler
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:08 pm

DannyFanny wrote:The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015): Two girls are left at a boarding school during the winter break. Rumor has it the nuns are satanist... ohh noo... Meanwhile an escaped mental patient is picked up by a couple headed in the direction of the school... what could happen next?!

I've had my eye on this movie for awhile after hearing it was a pretty scary movie and seeing it on a couple Taste of Cinema lists today. It stars Emma Roberts and Kiernan Shipka (Sabrina from the Netflix series), and is an A24 production. I thought this movie was boring, maybe it could have been interesting if I had not read a little about it before hand. It's not really scary, a little bloody but not over-the-top. I would say it has more of sense of dread. I'm going to post some spoilers
► Show Spoiler
I can't recommend this movie really. If really like the VVitch and want something not as good as that, then you might like this. It has a similar tone without the period piece.

Edit: I want to talk about the ending.
► Show Spoiler
I didn't like that movie at all. Got tons of rave, but never cared for it. Just thought it was boring

DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:27 pm

I agree.

Return to “Movies”