Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

The Endless (2018)

Discuss your favorite movies
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Endless (2018)

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:14 am

I was going to add this to my other thread, but this movie deserves it's own. This movie was fantastic. The last year has produced a lot of good movies like The Ritual and Veronica, and now this one is going to be added to my recommendation list.

97% Critic Rating on RT:https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_endless/

While not technically horror, this has a lot of the flavors of it. I would consider this more Sci-Fi than horror, but still counts.

This movie is about a couple of brothers. The older brother realizes they are growing up in a cult, and takes his brother away. The older brother tells him a bunch of lies about how awful the cult is, does a bunch of interviews telling everyone they castrated all their members, worshipped UFOs, etc.

Except they don't. They are a pretty good group of people.

The brother decides his life away from the cult isn't very good and wants to go back. Weird shit starts happening. I Really really really want you to watch this, so I'll post the rest in spoiler tags.

► Show Spoiler
Tyler
Owner

Re: The Endless (2018)

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:02 am

Sounds interesting. Think I can handle it?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Endless (2018)

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:06 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Sounds interesting. Think I can handle it?

It's not scary. It's just awesome.
Tyler
Owner

Re: The Endless (2018)

Postby Tyler » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:47 am

I'm single dad starting tomorrow. I'll watch this tomorrow during nap time if anyone wants to join in VR theater.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Endless (2018)

Postby cwilkins88 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:17 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I'm single dad starting tomorrow. I'll watch this tomorrow during nap time if anyone wants to join in VR theater.

You better.
Tyler
Owner

The Endless (2018)

Postby Tyler » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:09 pm

I agree with wilkins, this isn't a horror movie. It just feels eerie throughout the entire thing.

I was confused at first why the cult was being called a suicide cult, but it was just a flat out lie from the older brother.

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post The two brothers left before the end of the last loop, and the cult is nearing its 10-year loop. The brothers even realize this.

I don't think this was the reason they decided to come back, but it was almost like the loop was pulling them back and trying to get them to return. Once there, they eventually learned of the loops. What made you think the main camp was on 10 years? It was for sure numerous years compared to the smaller loops.

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Every time the loop resets, you repeat a similar set of actions, but you retain the knowledge you had.

I thought this too, but the tweaker and other guy seemed to disprove it. Actually, never mind. I think their loop starts with the redneck high on drugs so maybe it takes him awhile to come down from the high and remember the loop, whereas the 2nd guy goes into the loop sober and remembering everything.

Question about the camp. Why didn't the people flat out tell the brothers about the loop and to gtfo. They were always so cryptic. And what exactly happened to them at the end? Did the monster kill them when they were around the fire? It seems like most people choose to end their own life before the monster ends the loop for them, but I wasn't sure what happened around that fire.
Tyler
Owner

The Endless (2018)

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:24 am

Wilkins, did you know about Resolution? Same directors/writers. Sounds familiar...
Resolution is a movie starring Peter Cilella, Vinny Curran, and Emily Montague. A man imprisons his estranged junkie friend in an isolated cabin in the boonies San Diego to force him through a week of sobriety, but the events of that week are being mysteriously manipulated
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Endless (2018)

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:45 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I don't think this was the reason they decided to come back, but it was almost like the loop was pulling them back and trying to get them to return. Once there, they eventually learned of the loops. What made you think the main camp was on 10 years? It was for sure numerous years compared to the smaller loops.

I don't think it was exactly ten years, but it was something close. They said something like, we've been gone for twenty years, but she looks like she has only aged 10 (or something like that). The other is I think they said the sun thing only happened once before, but maybe not. Could've misheard. Also, I agree that they didn't know about the loop until after they had come back.
Tyler wrote:Source of the post uestion about the camp. Why didn't the people flat out tell the brothers about the loop and to gtfo. They were always so cryptic. And what exactly happened to them at the end? Did the monster kill them when they were around the fire? It seems like most people choose to end their own life before the monster ends the loop for them, but I wasn't sure what happened around that fire.

I think it's because they wanted the little brother to stay. You go crazy doing the same things over and over without being able to leave, and you go crazy. Any change is welcomed. Just look at the greatest movie of the century, passenger.

The end is hard to decypher for me. If they reset anyway, why did everything get destroyed? None of the smaller loops do this.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

The Endless (2018)

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:46 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Wilkins, did you know about Resolution? Same directors/writers. Sounds familiar...
Resolution is a movie starring Peter Cilella, Vinny Curran, and Emily Montague. A man imprisons his estranged junkie friend in an isolated cabin in the boonies San Diego to force him through a week of sobriety, but the events of that week are being mysteriously manipulated

I'm pretty sure I've seen resolution, but I put it on my list of movies to watch anyway.

Return to “Movies”