Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (2018)

Discuss your favorite movies
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:31 am

I'm assuming everyone has already watched this. It's a South Korean horror film. They've been really upping the game with movies like Train to Busan, and I thought I'd give this a shot.

This is basically the Korean equivalent to Grave Encounters (which I've reviewed before, and is one of my favorite horror movies). It's basically a group of people going to this mental asylum as part of a live stream to make money. They live stream the whole event, get views, get paid. They decide to go to this Mental Aslyum, where in the past, if anyone tries to open a door, they go insane or just die. Or so rumors say.

This is a high budget found footage, so you rarely feel like that's the kind of movie you are watching. The actors in this are all very unknown (according to the internetz), so the acting was a pleasant surprise. Very well done.

The movie has no gore, no jump scares for the most part, but the movie gave me a feeling of dread the whole way through.

This movie was legitimately terrifying to me, and I don't get scared at horror movies often.

The way they shot this whole film, and the way they did 'playbacks' of the supernatural stuff happening was great. The camerawork is one of the best pieces of this, and towards the end, there was a whole lot of 'oh f@#$ all of this' moments. I'd really give this a shot, even if you aren't a fan of the genre.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (2018)

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:00 am

"give it a shot even if you don't like horror"
"Legitimately terrified me"

Hard pass on this one
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:22 am

I meant even if you dont like found footage, sorry. Definitely don't watch this if you can't do horror :P
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:30 am

Is it all in Korean with subtitles? That would potentially be a deal breaker for me. I don't want to read during a horror movie.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:39 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Is it all in Korean with subtitles? That would potentially be a deal breaker for me. I don't want to read during a horror movie.

Yes. Although, they occasionally drop a 'what the f@#$' bomb. It's worth reading.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (2018)

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:38 am

I do want to still watch the zombie train movie. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow night. Should I?!?!
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:42 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I do want to still watch the zombie train movie. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow night. Should I?!?!

Yeah, that movie isn't really scary. You should.

Return to “Movies”