Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Bird Box | Netflix - Sanda Bullock, Sarah Paulson, Rosa Salazar, John Malkovich

Discuss your favorite movies
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:27 am

A woman and a pair of children are blindfolded and make their way through a dystopian setting along a river.

https://youtu.be/o2AsIXSh2xo
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:55 am

That looks...interesting? but mostly dumb.
Writer somewhere: A Quiet place popular...what if we did that...but instead of limiting sound we limit sight.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Bird Box | Netflix - Sanda Bullock, Sarah Paulson, Rosa Salazar, John Malkovich

Postby Tyler » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:01 pm

Out now
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:29 am

This movie was very good. Essentially, there is a 'thing' that comes to Earth and causes people to instantly go mad and kill themselves if they see it, so the remaining people use blindfolds when outside so they can't see the things.

I like how it starts off, and the disaster takes place almost immediately. They hole up in a house and the typical horror-trope happens. People need help, people want in the house etc.

Something happens and Sandra and her kids have to leave and travel somewhere else. The reason for them leaving takes the whole movie to find out, due to flashbacks (which were pretty well balanced), as all things should be.

Taking two kids down a river while all three of you blind-folded sounds friggin awful, especially when they are both like 6 years old. Would never be able to do it.

The way it spreads was cool and it reminded me of A Quiet Place for obvious reasons, even though this book came out before that movie.

Go watch it
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:06 pm

Do you ever get to see the thing?!
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:25 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Do you ever get to see the thing?!

Sorta. Not directly.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Bird Box | Netflix - Sanda Bullock, Sarah Paulson, Rosa Salazar, John Malkovich

Postby Tyler » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:42 am

I've talked to a lot of people who have seen this movie. It must have been a pretty big draw for Netflix. I'll for sure watch even tho it might be spooky.
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:44 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I've talked to a lot of people who have seen this movie. It must have been a pretty big draw for Netflix. I'll for sure watch even tho it might be spooky.

Netflix Says Over 45 Million People Watched "Bird Box" In First Week; Best First 7 Days Ever For A Netflix Movie.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:43 pm

I watched this without pooping my pants. I wouldn't classify this as horror so I was able to make it through. It was even less suspenseful than A Quiet Place. Speaking of which, this movie is 75/25 The Happening and A Quiet Place. I thought people would kill themselves when they saw others do it, but I guess there was some kind of alien creature making them do it? Or maybe the drawings were just how Crazy Gary saw them, maybe there was nothing there at all and it was just like The Happening where the wind was the bad guy.

-Lame that "crazy" people weren't infected the same way. What defines a crazy person?
-Girl was good. Felt really sad when she volunteer to be lookout for the rapids. Speaking of which, why not dock and just walk once you hear the rapids?
-Wished we didn't get the big 5 year time jump. How did the 4 of them get out of dodge?
-School for the Blind was cheesy, but also awesome. I really liked liked it, but why was it in the middle of the woods?
-Gives kids 5 year old poptarts. tHiS Is WhAt StrAwBeRrIeS TaStE LiKe
-5 years living off of canned food and being blind - Tom is still jacked as the day is long. Trevante Rhodes is great. He was the best part of the horrible Predator movie and he was great in this.

After reading Reddit about the book
-the school for blind was full of people who had blinded themselves on purpose. In the book there was a part where Mal almost blinded the newborns too.
-the creatures in the book don't cast a shadow or cause the wind to spin up. The creatures are also indifferent about humans. They don't mean to hurt humans, but if humans see them they go crazy. That is why they don't go inside houses, they just don't care
-Gary is not as crazy. Gary is a lot more fleshed out in the book and not some crazy weirdo who just seems off the whole time. You do find out eventually that he has seen the creatures and believes you’ll only go crazy if you’re actually afraid to see them so he encourages everyone else to not be afraid. Of course this doesn’t work out for any of them and Gary actually ends up living and walking away leaving Mallory alone. He never actually wanted to kill anyone he was just wanting others to see the creatures. Movie Gary was just straight up murder crazy at some points though which was weird to me because he was extremely calm and collected in the book, not some weird jittery freak that no one really trusted. That all being said Gary talks about having seen them walking around and it gives you kind of an idea that they are actually just like passive animals almost, minding their own business until someone looks at them
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:20 pm

Watched this over the weekend while in Sheldon. I enjoyed it enough, although it did get a bit long/drawn out I felt.
Interesting about the differences from the book. The movie definitely makes the creature seem malevolent and out to get any humans it comes across, especially when they were in the woods running to the blind school and it apparently has telekinetic powers to make people start hearing things.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:31 pm

Good point about the voices saying to take off the blind fold. No one on Reddit said if the book had that or not, but I assume not if the creatures were indifferent
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:20 am

.Image
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:13 pm

so what the connection in the movie for calling it Bird box?
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Bird Box | Netflix - Sanda Bullock, Sarah Paulson, Rosa Salazar, John Malkovich

Postby Tyler » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:39 pm

Huss Buss wrote:so what the connection in the movie for calling it Bird box?
They carried around a box of birds to alert them of danger.

Return to “Movies”