Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Samsung Google Chromebook

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:15 am

The ol' ball and chain got one of these from her school and her classroom gets a handful of them. I played with it a little bit yesterday. Obviously the OS is lacking because it's only google app. However, it's an impressive machine from a hardware viewpoint. For $250 you get a very slim laptop with great battery life.

Wallinga, how do these go over at Bestbuy? I did a little research because I was curious if you could install Windows on them, you can't, but you can install Ubuntu
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Re: Samsung Google Chromebook

Postby Huss Buss » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:05 am

Tyler wrote:The ol' ball and chain got one of these from her school and her classroom gets a handful of them. I played with it a little bit yesterday. Obviously the OS is lacking because it's only google app. However, it's an impressive machine from a hardware viewpoint. For $250 you get a very slim laptop with great battery life.

Wallinga, how do these go over at Bestbuy? I did a little research because I was curious if you could install Windows on them, you can't, but you can install Ubuntu

haha calling her that already...pretty cool they get those...anything else technology wise she is getting?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:38 am

A real laptop and iPad. All rooms obviously have projectors in them as well nowadays
Wallinguana

Postby Wallinguana » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:37 am

Chromebooks are great if you just need something for Internet but beyond that I don't see the point. A lot of people buy them because they think they will be a full laptop and then are very disappointed.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:25 pm

Wallinguana wrote:Chromebooks are great if you just need something for Internet but beyond that I don't see the point. A lot of people buy them because they think they will be a full laptop and then are very disappointed.

Agreed. I think it could make a great secondary laptop. Like if I was on the PC playing a game Jocelyn could just reach for the ultra lightweight Chromebook and browse Facebook on the couch without having to worry about a battery dying
blake

Postby blake » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:42 am

Bought an Acer Chromebook. Got for $115. $40 off at target, 5% off with red card, 15% off with cartwheel app. Sold our Macbook Pro last year because we never used. Just wanted something dirt cheap to browse internet as kids always have ipad
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:15 am

Nice discount stacking. Like I said years ago, a Chromebook makes a lot of sense for people who just browse and check email.

Jocelyn and I are probably in the minority. We have no laptops we use in the house. She has a work laptop but chooses to do all of her work on the desktop via Google Drive. We have no ipad or tablet that we use for browsing (my tablet is only for reading). Jocelyn really only needs her phone for Facebook and desktop on Sunday evenings for school work. I prefer sitting at the desktop 90% of the time vs using my phone (aside for CPT on the go).
blake

Postby blake » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:20 am

I'm 85% everything on my Iphone
Rest is work computer/little ipad at home
now a little on chromebook
blake

Postby blake » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:20 am

I'm 85% everything on my Iphone
Rest is work computer/little ipad at home
now a little on chromebook
jathko87

Postby jathko87 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:29 am

90% phone. 10% tablet.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:37 am

jathko87 wrote:90% phone. 10% tablet.

Don't ever use a computer of any kind?
jathko87

Postby jathko87 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:15 am

Tyler wrote:
jathko87 wrote:90% phone. 10% tablet.

Don't ever use a computer of any kind?

Nope. If I really need something done I use work computer. I mean I do my jha and loto sheets at work.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:17 am

I use my surface rt all the time at home and I use it a bunch at work for displaying scoreboards on the TV.

I'm likely going to get a new surface 3 (non pro) so I can do more with it on the go, and just use the rt as a media consumption device.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:46 am

7 years after making this thread and we now own a Chromebook.

With Evie home for 4 weeks+ I wanted to get her something to do some learning materials on. I tried using the laptop I bought from Wags but she struggled with the mousepad and wireless mouse. I went to Target and almost bought a $300 touchscreen Chromebook out of desperation, but I couldn't bring myself to it. That is the cost of Nintendo Switch!

Looked on BBY and found a better one on sale plus I had $40 of rewards from buying my TV or dishwasher or something. Anyways, got this one. Evie thinks it is awesome.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-spin- ... Id=6175410

bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:49 pm

I failed. I never got a new surface.

I've nearly bought many Chromebooks but you're right that it always seems like a waste.

I'm sure Marshall will get one eventually as I know many schools use them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:53 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I've nearly bought many Chromebooks but you're right that it always seems like a waste.

For $150 I love this thing. I have used it myself over the few days we have owned it just to check work email and things like that.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:51 pm

Update. We use this all the time. Evie does learning. I'll check work emails or remote to the desktop downstairs. Jocelyn has her work Google account as a profile so she can work from it. Very slick little device.

Return to “Off Topic”