Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Cutting the cord

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Cutting the cord

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:17 am

Corey and I were talking yesterday if we could cut out cable/DTV and just use the internet for watching our stuff. Right after this conversation I was at Walmart and couldn't believe how many set top boxes are out now that all do pretty much the same thing
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Cutting the cord

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:23 am

I wouldn't pay for cable/satellite. Also I've been think about getting hulu plus. I hVe too much in my netflix queue to justify it right now.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Cutting the cord

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:29 am

DannyFanny wrote:I wouldn't pay for cable/satellite. Also I've been think about getting hulu plus. I hVe too much in my netflix queue to justify it right now.

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime. $8 each x 3 = $24 for a lot of shows.
awright

Postby awright » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:48 am

I'm a huge fan of the idea but know I would miss live sports when fall and winter came back around. In reality though, it would better place my focus on more important things during the breaks in my schedule. Kelsey hasn't had cable for over two years and she's survived; however, we value cable for entirely different reasons. Some places in the area offer extended cable as part of the rent here. It's a nice concept but it almost puts you in the position of needing a DVR / tiVo if you do want to utilize it properly.

When you do finally cut the cord, you may realize how little you cared for some of the stuff you were watching before. Our cable provider dropped Comedy Central, Spike, MTV, etc. and I've hardly noticed. News and sports...I've become my father.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:56 am

No more Bar Rescue for you?! But I agree, cutting the cord would trim the fat on shows you were only watching just to watch and would give you more time to do productive things.

As for sports. Most games are on a big network which you can pick up with just rabbit ears.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:11 am

Tyler wrote:No more Bar Rescue for you?! But I agree, cutting the cord would trim the fat on shows you were only watching just to watch and would give you more time to do productive things.

As for sports. Most games are on a big network which you can pick up with just rabbit ears.

but espn cares important games
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:30 am

Huss Buss wrote:
Tyler wrote:No more Bar Rescue for you?! But I agree, cutting the cord would trim the fat on shows you were only watching just to watch and would give you more time to do productive things.

WatchESPN is carried under Comcast for us so we could watch without a cable subscription unless they drop that right when you cancel cable.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:00 am

Corey wrote:
Huss Buss wrote:

WatchESPN is carried under Comcast for us so we could watch without a cable subscription unless they drop that right when you cancel cable.

You would lose watchESPN without having a subscription but if you still have Internet you would have access to ESPN3 which is online but not live.

I know I could live without tv, I did for a year and a half in St. Cloud. I even went a summer without Internet and just used the library. It's not a necessity by any means but I enjoy it. I rarely use netflix anymore though.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:25 am

I have a receiver/dvr for DTV. So I may watch tv more now that I don't have to worry about taking up all the DVR space to record shows and find a time when someone else isn't watching the tv. Though I'll probably still just record movies I want to watch and hold on the various tv shows.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:06 am

Corey, do you still have a Sling Box plugged in at your parents'? I know you use to use that to get Twins games
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:00 pm

We haven't had cable at our place and haven't missed it one bit. We have an antenna for NBC, CBS, and ABC which is more than we really watch on TV anyways. My old boss set up an email on his Comcast account so I can still use watch ESPN for live games and my sportscenter fix.

I do think its funny how well the set top boxes like roku sell since they are basically unnecessary. Every new DVD player has the same services and most TVs do as well. If I'm using anything else I can just hook up my surface to the tv
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:14 pm

bmyoungs wrote:I do think its funny how well the set top boxes like roku sell since they are basically unnecessary. Every new DVD player has the same services and most TVs do as well. If I'm using anything else I can just hook up my surface to the tv

Right, so many ways of getting the exact same result. We are spoiled and have laptops laying around so we have those hooked up to our TVs. That lets us do everything plus stream Steam games. But $50 to turn any TV into a smart TV is pretty cool, especially if you have your media library on Plex. Right Corey and cwilkins?!
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:00 am

Tyler wrote:Corey, do you still have a Sling Box plugged in at your parents'? I know you use to use that to get Twins games

Slingbox on Slick Deals for $99. Give Chris $1 a month to install this at his house and use him for his TVs
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/118492/ ... ingbox-350
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:52 am

I am very close to cutting the cord. I have a system all set up that will magically drop new tv shows on my computer then plex picks them up and I can watch them on our ChromeCast.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:07 pm

Corey wrote:I am very close to cutting the cord. I have a system all set up that will magically drop new tv shows on my computer then plex picks them up and I can watch them on our ChromeCast.

But you've only been Beta Testing for a few days!
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Corey got an Amazon Fire TV this weekend. We spent sometime at Best Buy and decided to go with that set top box. It's only a couple weeks old and seems to be the most powerful option. It does a pretty good job running Plex.
awright

Postby awright » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:37 pm

How much you save without cable?
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:21 pm

awright wrote:How much you save without cable?

It will be about $50 a month and I will be able to sell my TiVos for around $800.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:26 pm

Listing them this week?
And use your Apple Amazon Kindle fire TV yet?
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:50 pm

Did you cancel cable?

Return to “Off Topic”