Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Cutting the cord

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Cutting the cord

Postby Tyler » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:55 am

AT&T is lucky Net Neutrality is likely being tabled for the next 4 years.
bmyoungs

Cutting the cord

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:13 am

Doesn't sound like a conflict of interest at all
Tyler
Owner

Cutting the cord

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:27 am

What Roku/set top box apps do people use most? My Roku account is linked to my parents/in-laws so we have some weird stuff

Mine, in more or less order of us
1. Plex
2. Youtube
3. Netflix
4. HBO
5. Sling - once and awhile to watch cartoons with Evie
6. ABC - Dancing with the Stars for Jocelyn
7. Cyclone.tv - have used it once. Good thing we paid for it /s
PBS - my dad wanted to watch This Old House, not sure if he ever has
Watch ESPN - have watched sports before
History - I assume my dad downloaded this
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Cutting the cord

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:29 am

D.TV/DVR
Hulu/Netflix
Amazon Prime
Vudu
Plex... like twice
Tyler
Owner

Re: Cutting the cord

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:30 am

Oh yeah, I have Amazon Prime too, but I hate the UI so much that I never use it
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Cutting the cord

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:50 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Oh yeah, I have Amazon Prime too, but I hate the UI so much that I never use it

I know it's garbage.
wags83

Cutting the cord

Postby wags83 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:22 am

Comcast (DVR and live TV)
Netflix (through cable box)
Plex (through Xbone)
Tyler
Owner

Cutting the cord

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:29 am

Check to see if your cablebox has Plex. In-laws got a new one through Mediacom and it has Netflix, Plex, Amazon, etc.
wags83

Cutting the cord

Postby wags83 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:54 am

I'll have to look. The Netflix thing is fairly new (within the last year). I know it has other stuff like Pandora but not sure about other video apps.
bmyoungs

Cutting the cord

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:38 pm

Roku 2 upstairs and Amazon fire stick and Roku stick in basement

Netflix
Plex
Direct TV now (fire stick)
Amazon prime
purple_hayes

Cutting the cord

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:03 pm

[quote="Tyler"]Source of the post What Roku/set top box apps do people use most?

TiVo/Antenna for DVR/local channels

Roku -
Netflix
PS Vue
Plex
Amazon
Watch ESPN
BTN
Tyler
Owner

Cutting the cord

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:14 pm

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post TiVo/Antenna for DVR/local channels

Is it worth having TiVo for local channels?

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post PS Vue

Boy you fancy!
purple_hayes

Cutting the cord

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Is it worth having TiVo for local channels?

Well... yes and no. it is worth it if you don't use Plex. Its great for those times you are gonna miss a sporting event or want to catch something. We do use the One Pass feature to set up the recording of a whole series but the updates to the schedule isn't fast enough to compensate for sporting events throwing off the schedule. You can use the TiVo as an internet streaming device as well for stuff like Netflix and Amazon. But the DVR service is $13 a month. I found a refurbished one for under $100. So there is cost involved. For the most part, we have enjoyed it. Would be useless if I Plexed all the shows I watch.

PS Vue?

WORTH IT!! Far superior to Sling. When I used Sling I had such issues with rendering and image quality that even the free trial period wasn't worth it. PS Vue offers you live TV and VOD. The live streaming is HIGH quality. I don't like the UI. Sling's is better IMO. But if anyone asks my opinion on the two... PS Vue all the way, won't give Sling to anyone not even Blue Jackets.
Tyler
Owner

Cutting the cord

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:34 pm

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post PS Vue?

WORTH IT!! Far superior to Sling. When I used Sling I had such issues with rendering and image quality that even the free trial period wasn't worth it. PS Vue offers you live TV and VOD. The live streaming is HIGH quality.

I have had zero issues with Sling quality or buffering, I think they have gotten all of that fixed in the past year.

Does Vue offer VOD for everything? Sling only does for some channels/shows. Also, what is PS Vue pricing? $35 if you sign up during this promotional period?
purple_hayes

Cutting the cord

Postby purple_hayes » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:44 pm

purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post
I have had zero issues with Sling quality or buffering, I think they have gotten all of that fixed in the past year.

Does Vue offer VOD for everything? Sling only does for some channels/shows. Also, what is PS Vue pricing? $35 if you sign up during this promotional period?

When we had Sling, it was AWFUL, won't ever go back.

From the channels I have watched, the VOD is offered on most things. the CBS, NBC, ABC, AMC VOD is the last two episodes of a show. Not full season or at least I haven't found any yet. Vue offers a cloud based DVR that I haven't used yet. I have been able to rewind and fast forward when behind live TV. The minimum package is $25. Next level up is $35, which offers more sports programming. Next level up is $45, offers even more sports programming, latin programming, and some movie. the top level $55, currently offered at $45 during promotion, is every channel they offer and Showtime, I believe. HBO and some of the other pay channels are extra on top of all that. They are not included in any package. The package I have, $35, is perfect for me. Offers every channel I liked on DirecTV plus a few more like Fox Sports programming. One thing that is great is that its a flat fee. You aren't dinged for HD channels, DVR service, extra boxes. IF you have Amazon, Roku, Chromecast, or a Playstation, you can use up to 4 devices at once on your home network. Plus you sign in is good for the channel apps on the go such as WatchESPN or BTN or if you were to get HBO you could use HBOGo. Beyond the UI, the other drawback is that in order to stream through the service, you have to be on the home network so you can't stream Vue on the go. But like I said, it does offer the sign in for the streaming apps.
bmyoungs

Cutting the cord

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:50 pm

purple_hayes wrote:
purple_hayes wrote:Source of the post

When we had Sling, it was AWFUL, won't ever go back.

From the channels I have watched, the VOD is offered on most things. the CBS, NBC, ABC, AMC VOD is the last two episodes of a show. Not full season or at least I haven't found any yet. Vue offers a cloud based DVR that I haven't used yet. I have been able to rewind and fast forward when behind live TV. The minimum package is $25. Next level up is $35, which offers more sports programming. Next level up is $45, offers even more sports programming, latin programming, and some movie. the top level $55, currently offered at $45 during promotion, is every channel they offer and Showtime, I believe. HBO and some of the other pay channels are extra on top of all that. They are not included in any package. The package I have, $35, is perfect for me. Offers every channel I liked on DirecTV plus a few more like Fox Sports programming. One thing that is great is that its a flat fee. You aren't dinged for HD channels, DVR service, extra boxes. IF you have Amazon, Roku, Chromecast, or a Playstation, you can use up to 4 devices at once on your home network. Plus you sign in is good for the channel apps on the go such as WatchESPN or BTN or if you were to get HBO you could use HBOGo. Beyond the UI, the other drawback is that in order to stream through the service, you have to be on the home network so you can't stream Vue on the go. But like I said, it does offer the sign in for the streaming apps.

I never had those issues with sling either that's very weird.

I wasn't a fan of the home network portion of PS Vue. Seemed to limited for my use.

Direct TV now is $40 which includes HBO and all sports networks. It's had a ton of connectivity issues and random blackouts since it is only a month on the market. I've got a few days left on my trial month to decide if I want to keep it.
Tyler
Owner

Cutting the cord

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:10 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Direct TV now is $40 which includes HBO and all sports networks.

Dang.... HBO for life for only $40? That is awesome.
blake

Desk/PC Setups

Postby blake » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:14 am

three people at work recently cut the cord and ordered Directv Go streaming service
wags83

Desk/PC Setups

Postby wags83 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:03 pm

blake wrote:Source of the post three people at work recently cut the cord and ordered Directv Go streaming service

Do they also have sweet desktop setups?
blake

Desk/PC Setups

Postby blake » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:35 pm

oops, posted this in the wrong thread :lol:

mod- please move to cutting the cord!

Return to “Off Topic”