Tyler
Owner

Tablets

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:07 pm

Blue Jackets

Tablets

Postby Blue Jackets » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:31 am

Apple's quiet iPad launch proves no one cares about tablets
Psst! Did you hear that Apple released a new iPad?

You'd be forgiven if you didn't. After all, Apple didn't bother to hold an event to introduce its newest 9.7-inch tablet, which drops the Air name and gets a $70 price cut along with a faster processor and brighter display. Instead, Apple made the announcement in a press release issued with little fanfare Tuesday morning.
Tyler
Owner

Tablets

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:56 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post Apple's quiet iPad launch proves no one cares about tablets

Starting at $330 seems like a decent price, but I kind of agree with the article that tablet market is shrinking, or rather the lines are being blurred.

I've said it before (probably in this thread), but if I'm at home I'm going to use my phone for a quick web thing, but if it is something that takes a lot of typing or multitasking I am going to sit at the desktop. I never think to reach for my tablet unless I am reading comics or watching something late in bed and don't want the TV on. The tablet gets used a lot on roadtrips when Jocelyn loads up Plex content for offline viewing, but it wouldn't be a huge deal to do that on her phone. I have no problem using my 5" phone to watch a TV show while on my lunch break. It's not convenient to carry around a tablet for that.

What's my point? Having a phone with you 24/7 + a real computer at home = no real need for a tablet or at the minimum no reason to upgrade to something newer.
ejhartman91

Tablets

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:24 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post Apple's quiet iPad launch proves no one cares about tablets

Starting at $330 seems like a decent price, but I kind of agree with the article that tablet market is shrinking, or rather the lines are being blurred.

I've said it before (probably in this thread), but if I'm at home I'm going to use my phone for a quick web thing, but if it is something that takes a lot of typing or multitasking I am going to sit at the desktop. I never think to reach for my tablet unless I am reading comics or watching something late in bed and don't want the TV on. The tablet gets used a lot on roadtrips when Jocelyn loads up Plex content for offline viewing, but it wouldn't be a huge deal to do that on her phone. I have no problem using my 5" phone to watch a TV show while on my lunch break. It's not convenient to carry around a tablet for that.

What's my point? Having a phone with you 24/7 + a real computer at home = no real need for a tablet or at the minimum no reason to upgrade to something newer.

Maybe this will change that?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/br ... uperscreen
bmyoungs

Tablets

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:38 am

I almost never use my tablet for more than watching video. I sometimes use it at work for video during golf lessons but my phone does a better job with slow motion capture.

I feel like most people I know who are Apple users own an iPad because they are supposed to not because they actually use it.

I've considered a surface pro for quite a while however.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
ejhartman91

Tablets

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:41 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I almost never use my tablet for more than watching video. I sometimes use it at work for video during golf lessons but my phone does a better job with slow motion capture.

I feel like most people I know who are Apple users own an iPad because they are supposed to not because they actually use it.

True, my wife did end up selling hers after having it for a couple years and rarely using it. (It was given to her as a gift though).
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Tablets

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:54 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Maybe this will change that?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/br ... uperscreen

Meh, so it basically adds a bigger screen to your phone? That isn't any more convenient than just carrying around a tablet, actually it's worse if you need to haul around more cables. Plus for the $300 price you could just buy a tablet, heck at the $99 introduction price you could just buy a tablet.

Are you backing?
ejhartman91

Tablets

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:29 am

Are you backing?

Nope. My OG Shield Tablet is still going strong. It even has Android 7.0!
Tyler
Owner

Re: Tablets

Postby Tyler » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:42 am

I bought a used last generation Kindle Fire 8" this week for $25 from Amazon. Looks brand new.

Within minutes I had Google Play store and Google Launcher installed. It looks like a stock Android tablet now and I didn't have to root it, just install some APKs in a specific order.

Resolution isn't as good as my 4+ year old 8.3" G pad, but it will be fine for Evie to use on long trips. Has a MicroSD slot which is nice when it comes to loading tv shows and movies
ejhartman91

Tablets

Postby ejhartman91 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:03 am

Within minutes I had Google Play store and Google Launcher installed. It looks like a stock Android tablet now and I didn't have to root it, just install some APKs in a specific order.

Good to know. I've always wondered if it was possible to get the play store on the Amazon tablets. If I do need a tablet for whatever reason when my SHIELD tablet dies, I'll probably go with an Amazon one.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:17 am

I wouldn't call the fire tablet a replacement for the $300 Shield, but at $25 it's basically disposable so my kid can use it and I won't be worried about her breaking it. I'm not even going to mess with a case at this point.
bmyoungs

Tablets

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:56 am

Nice I should have gotten one but forgot.

Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Tablets

Postby Tyler » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:38 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Nice I should have gotten one but forgot.

I'm pretty sure they are still available, they were this morning I think.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:35 pm

I thought my G Pad was good at holding an idle charge, but the fire tablet is insane. I haven't charged it since getting it and it's still above 50%

Return to “Off Topic”