Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Internet and Pricing

Talk about anything.
bmyoungs

Internet and Pricing

Postby bmyoungs » Mon May 11, 2020 2:18 pm

wags83 wrote:Looks like I better change my password...
Sorry bewbz1 is already taken

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
wags83

Internet and Pricing

Postby wags83 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:54 pm

I'm just gonna use b00beez69
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Internet and Pricing

Postby DannyFanny » Mon May 11, 2020 3:12 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I'm just gonna use b00beez69

that's a good one we'll never guess that.
wags83

Internet and Pricing

Postby wags83 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:11 am

I wish they would work on expanding service to more areas rather than increasing service to existing areas.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Internet and Pricing

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:19 pm

wags83 wrote:I wish they would work on expanding service to more areas rather than increasing service to existing areas.
Cry some more about never getting good internet to come north enough off the highway for you
wags83

Internet and Pricing

Postby wags83 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:05 pm

Waaaaaa! :cry: :cry: :cry:
ejhartman91

Internet and Pricing

Postby ejhartman91 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:40 am

Just got an email from Mediacom this morning. The are increasing my download speed by 100Mbs and my upload by 10Mbs for no additional cost. My data allowance is remaining the same though (2TB/month). Good guy Mediacom or trying to get money in overage fees??
Tyler
Owner

Internet and Pricing

Postby Tyler » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:45 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Just got an email from Mediacom this morning. The are increasing my download speed by 100Mbs and my upload by 10Mbs for no additional cost. My data allowance is remaining the same though (2TB/month). Good guy Mediacom or trying to get money in overage fees??

I have a friend who is going from 500mb to the 1000mb plan for free too, but staying at 4TB limit. I told him not to bother getting a new modem because he doesnt need the 1000mb speeds anyways.

Not sure what their angle is. No free upgrade for us at the top plan :(
Tyler
Owner

Internet and Pricing

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:46 pm

My ISP has been kind of crazy this week. I will try to quickly summarize. My friend and I (and many others) got letters saying we are in the top 99.5% of uploaders and we had to adjust our usages or be kicked off, even though we are under the monthly caps there is a special exception for upload and we are hogging all the upload.

I called to work something out and the lady said I was the NUMBER ONE UPLOADER IN 22 STATES. She said some other crazy stuff, but I basically left that call and immediately set up an install with Century Link (10% the speeds) and cancelled mediacom.

I called back today and talked to a much nicer guy. I am being put on a special babysitter program that will throttle my upload when needed. He said I will likely get kicked off unless i can drastically change my usage, but this will buy me some time.

In the meantime I have killed the squirrel stream, stopped my cloud backups, and told my heavy plex users to lower quality.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Internet and Pricing

Postby DannyFanny » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:58 pm

I upped my service tier late last month because Maria has and I have been home every weekend together (normally she works every other weekend). Pairing that with recent additions of rokus and Disney+, we have streamed much more content in December than previous months. I call to up my tier level and get told my cost is going up $25 instead of the advertised $10 because I was getting a specialty price. I'm not too happy about that. Also an email claiming a $200 bill, but haven't seen that reflected on my statements or in my bank account.

Might have to see what my equipment is rated for, and upgrade this year.
Tyler
Owner

Internet and Pricing

Postby Tyler » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:47 am

Do you have Mediacom Danny? If so, surprised they didn't give you a free upgrade like they did so many other people who werent on the max plan.

$200 bill?!?! For going over on data? Is that why you want a bigger plan, for a bigger cap or just more speed? I was on the highest plan just to get the highest cap, I didn't need that speed. But still, they were mad at my upload being half of my internet usage, they said it should be a fraction of the download.

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post I call to up my tier level and get told my cost is going up $25 instead of the advertised $10 because I was getting a specialty price.

I swear no 2 people pay the same for price for the same service. There are always rolling deals and promos
bmyoungs

Internet and Pricing

Postby bmyoungs » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:49 am

Tyler wrote:Do you have Mediacom Danny? If so, surprised they didn't give you a free upgrade like they did so many other people who werent on the max plan.

$200 bill?!?! For going over on data? Is that why you want a bigger plan, for a bigger cap or just more speed? I was on the highest plan just to get the highest cap, I didn't need that speed. But still, they were mad at my upload being half of my internet usage, they said it should be a fraction of the download.
Well that squirrel stream was crushing you

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Internet and Pricing

Postby Tyler » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:34 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Well that squirrel stream was crushing you

Lol, I wish that was the primary culprit, but I haven't had it running for a few weeks and it was only 1080p, but I do know I was uploading like 4x the bitrate that YT Live needed.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Internet and Pricing

Postby DannyFanny » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:55 am

I didn't go over. I called before going over. I was at like 90% data cap with 10 days left in the cycle. I haven't received the bill. It was in an order confirmation email.
Speed isn't the issue. Data cap hasn't really been an issue, until December when Maria and I were home every weekend together streaming movies and tv shows on the rokus. If she's working on the weekends, I usually don't stream much content.

I'll keep an eye on my statements and bank account and raise hell if I get charge anything more than the $2 service charge and the price change in tiers.

Return to “Off Topic”