Good beer recipes

Talk about anything.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 21600
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Good recipes

Postby Tyler » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:27 pm

wags83 wrote:I haven't really experimented with additives like nuts before.

I'm just going to use pecan extract in this when I brew it in a week or so.
User avatar
wags83
Moderator
Posts: 8520
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:05 pm
Location: Golden Valley, MN
Contact:

Re: Good recipes

Postby wags83 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:30 pm

Tyler wrote:
wags83 wrote:I haven't really experimented with additives like nuts before.

I'm just going to use pecan extract in this when I brew it in a week or so.

Is that the one you're making?
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 21600
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Good recipes

Postby Tyler » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:00 pm

wags83 wrote:Is that the one you're making?

Got this kit and pecan extract, might try mixing some in when I bottle.
This Amazon place has kits made to order with fresh ingredients, they are just boxes sitting in a warehouse. Coworker got a kit from them and was really impressed

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IT1 ... UTF8&psc=1
User avatar
wags83
Moderator
Posts: 8520
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:05 pm
Location: Golden Valley, MN
Contact:

Re: Good recipes

Postby wags83 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:59 pm

Tyler wrote:
wags83 wrote:Is that the one you're making?

Got this kit and pecan extract, might try mixing some in when I bottle.
This Amazon place has kits made to order with fresh ingredients, they are just boxes sitting in a warehouse. Coworker got a kit from them and was really impressed

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IT1 ... UTF8&psc=1

Better get a little extra extract to bring up that OG and give it a bit more kick.
User avatar
wags83
Moderator
Posts: 8520
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:05 pm
Location: Golden Valley, MN
Contact:

Re: Good recipes

Postby wags83 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:12 pm

wags83 wrote:Brewing this today: https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/run-down
I've done an IPA before but it wasn't as hoppy as I had hoped. This one should be better (if you like hoppy that is).

OG: 1.095
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 21600
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Good recipes

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:41 pm

Got my kit already today. Brewing in the garage now. Not going to do a full boil since I don't have the wort chiller to bring it down in temp. These grains smell delicious while steeping.
User avatar
wags83
Moderator
Posts: 8520
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:05 pm
Location: Golden Valley, MN
Contact:

Re: Good recipes

Postby wags83 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:38 pm

Tyler wrote:Got my kit already today. Brewing in the garage now. Not going to do a full boil since I don't have the wort chiller to bring it down in temp. These grains smell delicious while steeping.

What do you mean not going to do a full boil? Like just steep grains and wait to do the rest?
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 21600
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Good recipes

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:58 pm

Full boil as in boiling 5 gallons. I only boiled like 3 and then added water before I pitched yeast

I also don't want to make beer until I can do it outside. PITA to prep and clean in the kitchen and took way too long without wort chiller.
User avatar
wags83
Moderator
Posts: 8520
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:05 pm
Location: Golden Valley, MN
Contact:

Re: Good recipes

Postby wags83 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:47 pm

Tyler wrote:Full boil as in boiling 5 gallons. I only boiled like 3 and then added water before I pitched yeast

I also don't want to make beer until I can do it outside. PITA to prep and clean in the kitchen and took way too long without wort chiller.

Ah, I see as in volume. Yeah I just did 3 gallons too. Most because the stove too take super long to boil just with 3.
User avatar
wags83
Moderator
Posts: 8520
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:05 pm
Location: Golden Valley, MN
Contact:

Re: Good beer recipes

Postby wags83 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:33 am

wags83 wrote:
wags83 wrote:Brewing this today: https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/run-down
I've done an IPA before but it wasn't as hoppy as I had hoped. This one should be better (if you like hoppy that is).

OG: 1.095

Gravity check today: 1.023
User avatar
wags83
Moderator
Posts: 8520
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:05 pm
Location: Golden Valley, MN
Contact:

Re: Good beer recipes

Postby wags83 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:41 am

If my calculations are correct that puts it at about 9.2% ABV. Tasted it and it's right on with what I was going for. A lot more hoppy/bitter than the first IPA that I made but that's a good thing.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 21600
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Good beer recipes

Postby Tyler » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:18 pm

Waaaat, that is a strong ass beer.
User avatar
wags83
Moderator
Posts: 8520
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:05 pm
Location: Golden Valley, MN
Contact:

Re: Good beer recipes

Postby wags83 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:32 pm

Yeah I used probably 10 or 11 pounds of extract.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 21600
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Good beer recipes

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:30 pm

My pecan extract was lost in the mail. Emailed them today about it. Can't bottle until I get that.
User avatar
wags83
Moderator
Posts: 8520
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:05 pm
Location: Golden Valley, MN
Contact:

Re: Good beer recipes

Postby wags83 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:34 pm

You putting it right in the bottle or into the fermenter for a bit before bottling?
User avatar
awright
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Good beer recipes

Postby awright » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:33 pm

How long until it's done after the bottling process?
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 21600
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Good beer recipes

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:44 am

wags83 wrote:You putting it right in the bottle or into the fermenter for a bit before bottling?

Says fermenting bucket 2 days before bottling. Then during bottling taste and add more to bottling bucket if you need to.

awright wrote:How long until it's done after the bottling process?

3 weekish
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 21600
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Good beer recipes

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:17 am

Yep, got confirmation that the postal service lost my almond extract and I will be getting a refund. Now I have to order another one. When I end up bottling I think I will do half just maple and half maple pecan.
User avatar
wags83
Moderator
Posts: 8520
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:05 pm
Location: Golden Valley, MN
Contact:

Re: Good beer recipes

Postby wags83 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:41 pm

Bottling today. Still at 1.023 for a final gravity. This beer is gonna get ya drunk!
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 21600
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Good beer recipes

Postby Tyler » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:43 pm

wags83 wrote:Bottling today. Still at 1.023 for a final gravity. This beer is gonna get ya drunk!

I just got done bottling my maple pecan porter. My mom and Jocelyn helped. I hope it turns out. I was too excited to mix in the rest of the extract that I forgot to do a final gravity reading.

Return to “Off Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests