Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Apple, Windows, technology news

Talk about anything.
User avatar
bmyoungs
Moderator
Posts: 4070
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:44 pm

Tyler wrote:From what I understand you reserve it now, but dont need to install on July 29th if you dont want to. You are just locking in the free price.

I thought it was free for the first year no matter what?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:18 pm

Yeah. I'm confused by that too. Maybe you have a year to reserve it and can apply it anytime after that
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:57 am

8 days until you can install Windows 10. If you reserve your copy now it will auto download and you can apply it whenever.
User avatar
bmyoungs
Moderator
Posts: 4070
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:59 pm

Tyler wrote:8 days until you can install Windows 10. If you reserve your copy now it will auto download and you can apply it whenever.

I'll hold off for a bit with ours to see if there are a lot of bugs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:25 pm

Yolo. The most current dev build for the tech preview is what the product version of 10 will be. People are really happy with that so I'll pull the trigger right away to be an early adopter
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:52 am

2 days. This launch is very confusing. I think if you have a home edition of windows 7 or 8 then you have no control over Windows 10 and it will automatically be installed?

Also reports that Nvidia drivers are breaking.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:45 pm

Just downloaded. All drivers are being updated. Says I am 1920 x 1080 but it isnt full screen, I am sure my video card windows 10 driver will fix that.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:41 am

Cwilkins, return your new router and get the Google one that was announced last week

https://on.google.com/hub/
$200 with 13 antennas

[youtube]HNnfHP7VDP8[/youtube]
User avatar
Blue Jackets
Posts: 2703
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby Blue Jackets » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:43 am

Sold out everywhere....lol....and $200? Pass
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:23 pm

Windows 10 program to fix privacy issues.
http://www.pcgamer.com/use-ultimate-win ... -settings/
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby Tyler » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:03 pm

Ran into an interesting Windows 10 hickup while upgrading my hardware. After attaching my SSD (with a valid version of Windows 10 on it) to the motherboard I was getting an issue that my Windows was not verify and that I needed a new product key. I contacted help support and they said my free Windows 10 upgrade was attached to all my old hardware, and it wouldn't transfer even though all I did was change my motherboard. That sounds like complete BS and I would have fought them on it, but I have another Windows 10 key so it wasn't a huge issue.

Based on this though, if your motherboard went bad (like Cwilkins did), if you replaced it you would also need to buy a new version of Windows 10? Cwilkins, did you have this message pop up after you put in your new mobo?
User avatar
bmyoungs
Moderator
Posts: 4070
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:33 pm

Tyler wrote:Ran into an interesting Windows 10 hickup while upgrading my hardware. After attaching my SSD (with a valid version of Windows 10 on it) to the motherboard I was getting an issue that my Windows was not verify and that I needed a new product key. I contacted help support and they said my free Windows 10 upgrade was attached to all my old hardware, and it wouldn't transfer even though all I did was change my motherboard. That sounds like complete BS and I would have fought them on it, but I have another Windows 10 key so it wasn't a huge issue.

Based on this though, if your motherboard went bad (like Cwilkins did), if you replaced it you would also need to buy a new version of Windows 10? Cwilkins, did you have this message pop up after you put in your new mobo?

That is very weird. Glad they gave you another key, that would be total bs to have to buy a copy.

Although I guess because it's a free upgrade deal it makes a small amount of sense to register it in such a way. Still shady.
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:46 am

To clarify, they did not give me another key. I had a different key through work. I would have been forced to buy a new copy of Windows
User avatar
cwilkins88
Top Contributor
Posts: 2951
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:13 am

Based on this though, if your motherboard went bad (like Cwilkins did), if you replaced it you would also need to buy a new version of Windows 10? Cwilkins, did you have this message pop up after you put in your new mobo?


Yes, it happened to me too. I didn't know the deal, so I just sucked it up and used a new key like you.
User avatar
bmyoungs
Moderator
Posts: 4070
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:17 am

Surface pro 4 and new surface book look awesome! I'm going to be getting an sp4 once I get my coaching bonus.

I'd love to get the surface book with the extra dedicated graphics but I can't justify almost $2000.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:12 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Surface pro 4 and new surface book look awesome! I'm going to be getting an sp4 once I get my coaching bonus.

I'd love to get the surface book with the extra dedicated graphics but I can't justify almost $2000.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Both very cool devices. Corey, going to upgrade?
User avatar
Corey
Site Admin
Posts: 1471
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:09 am
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby Corey » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:54 pm

No upgrade for me although the surface book looks amazing
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:23 pm

I love how over the top the ad is. More pixels than stars in the universe I heard.

https://youtu.be/XVfOe5mFbAE
User avatar
Tyler
Owner
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:52 am

It's neat how there is a dedicated graphics card in the keyboard, but you can detached it if you don't want it!
User avatar
bmyoungs
Moderator
Posts: 4070
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Apple, Windows, technology news

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:34 am

Tyler wrote:It's neat how there is a dedicated graphics card in the keyboard, but you can detached it if you don't want it!

Yeah the only downside is the gpu is an optional item, and its base price with it included is like $1900.

Return to “Off Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests