Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Turn on Heater or AC thread

Talk about anything.
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:17 pm

We managed to go all summer with no AC at my insistence... Only had a handful of really miserable days.

Hasn't been cold enough for heat yet but once the baby finally shows up in sure we'll turn it on just to make sure he's not to cold.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Sarah wrote:Source of the post once the baby finally shows up

You're pregnant?!

But seriously, impressed you didnt turn on the AC this summer. What is the average temp up in Maine?
Sarah

Postby Sarah » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:33 pm

Tyler wrote:
Sarah wrote:Source of the post once the baby finally shows up

You're pregnant?!

But seriously, impressed you didnt turn on the AC this summer. What is the average temp up in Maine?

Lol today is/was the due date.

Varies a bit this near to the coast, coastal towns are around 75-80. Where we are my guess would be 80-85. The cool nights are the only reason this works though.

I never had AC growing up so we went back to the method my parents used of opening up the house overnight with fans pulling cool air in and shutting it during the day, shades down, curtains pulled, vampire style.

Wouldn't have worked very well if our windows had turned out to be old/poor insulators, will work better when we get around to getting cellular blinds instead of regular (junky) blinds and curtains.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:58 am

It's November and we still have the AC running.... We should just crack some windows during the day, but AC is easier.
It does get a little cold in the mornings, but Evie hasn't complained.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:06 am

AC?! What's the temp in Des Moines?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:08 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post AC?! What's the temp in Des Moines?

My house would have been in the 70's over the weekend if I didn't have it kick on at 69.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:09 am

ha! 69
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:04 am

Yesterday was one of the muggiest days of recent memory. I was complaining to Wilkins that my AC seems to be on the fritz and our bedroom was 75 when we went to bed. He informed me that his AC is set to 75 usually.

What do you guys set yours to? I have it 68/69 usually. It's actually cold in the basement but seems to be perfect on the other 2 floors. As I said earlier in this thread, we almost never open windows on nice days and just pay the $20-30/month to always have the AC on keeping us comfortable.

When I woke up the house seemed to be better, but it also cooled off a lot last night. I hope the AC is magically working when I get home today.

Related:
It was funny when were were in LA for vacation and people heard we were from Iowa. "Iowa? This weather must be unbearably hot for you" "Actually we have been warmer than LA recently with like 100% humidity. This is nice"
kyle

Postby kyle » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:24 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the postWhat do you guys set yours to?

We just moved into a townhouse that has central heating and air for the first time and it is amazing! The wife and I are kind of fighting between the temperature so far...I am liking around 73, but my wife wants it down to 68-69. The downstairs gets pretty chilly regardless, but we haven't been using that room for much yet anyway.
CrckrJack

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

We keep it set at 72
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:38 am

We have a single window unit for now. It's in the living room. We bought a second smaller unit for upstairs since it's been around 76 every night up there.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:00 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post We have a single window unit for now. It's in the living room. We bought a second smaller unit for upstairs since it's been around 76 every night up there.

How is Marshall doing with that? I've never actually seen the heat/cold effect Evie's sleeping, even when she was an infant. She does like to say "beee it cold" though.
megatron

Postby megatron » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:01 am

If our air was working we would keep it around 68-72. Our house reached 88 yesterday, which was delightful...
Getting fixed Friday! Luckily our basement stayed pretty cool. The humidity is what makes it so uncomfortable.

wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:06 am

We've had a pretty mild summer so far, so we didn't have in on for the past week or so. We did turn it on yesterday when we got home from Chicago. Had it set at 75 but I was too hot and turned it down a couple degrees. We have central air but our AC unit is from the middle ages so we will likely need to replace that sooner than later, but for now it still works.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:26 am

megatron wrote:Source of the post If our air was working we would keep it around 68-72. Our house reached 88 yesterday, which was delightful...
Getting fixed Friday! Luckily our basement stayed pretty cool. The humidity is what makes it so uncomfortable.

88 is rough!

Do you have a dehumidifier in the basement? I bought a cheap one when we moved in and have it emptying straight into the drain, that helps a lot. I keep it on low though because of the nose and have it set to be off between 5pm-10pm so it doesn't distract us at night when we might watch TV.
SleepyChimera

Postby SleepyChimera » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:29 am

My heat is always set to 68-70 depending on the wind. My AC is always 73 unless we've been doing a lot of cooking and feel like we're dying. Then will reluctantly do like... 72 or 71
megatron

Postby megatron » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:33 am

Tyler wrote:
megatron wrote:Source of the post If our air was working we would keep it around 68-72. Our house reached 88 yesterday, which was delightful...

88 is rough!

Do you have a dehumidifier in the basement? I bought a cheap one when we moved in and have it emptying straight into the drain, that helps a lot. I keep it on low though because of the nose and have it set to be off between 5pm-10pm so it doesn't distract us at night when we might watch TV.

No we don't have one yet but that's a good idea!

Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:46 pm

We have AC now! Guy replaced a capacitor and added $60 of freon now we are back in business.

I have ours set to 72º when we are here and 78º when we are away or asleep. I'm sure I'll make changes once I remember what AC feels like.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:28 pm

Corey wrote:Source of the post I have ours set to 72º when we are here and 78º when we are away or asleep.

That seems hot for sleeping, or maybe we are crazy for having it at 68 when we sleep.

Do you have a Nest?
Corey
Site Admin

Re: RE: Turn on Heater or AC thread

Postby Corey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:30 pm

Tyler wrote:
Corey wrote:Source of the post I have ours set to 72º when we are here and 78º when we are away or asleep.

That seems hot for sleeping, or maybe we are crazy for having it at 68 when we sleep.

Do you have a Nest?
The odds of it getting that high are low. We will go to bed at 72 and be asleep before it gets hot

Return to “Off Topic”