Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Turn on Heater or AC thread

Talk about anything.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:50 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I don't like being on heat/cold duel mode. I usually try to stick to one or the other, but dang cold in the morning and hot at night ruins it. I would rather just be a little cold at times and stick to AC when I need it later in the day. When you do hot/cold you usually end up with a 5 degree middle temp that can vary because it wouldn't be energy smart to put AC/Heat on the same temp. One or the other would be running all day I assume.

How hot is it actually getting during the afternoon/evening? I feel like you should just open some windows earlier in the day when it's cool and then not run the AC.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri May 10, 2019 7:57 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post How hot is it actually getting during the afternoon/evening? I feel like you should just open some windows earlier in the day when it's cool and then not run the AC.

It did get into the 80's a few day so I had full AC running. We are usually anti-opening windows, but I will sometimes open the front screen and the back sliding door to get a nice draft going through. Usually I just opt to run the Nest fan all day and that helps get some of the cool basement air upstairs (or so I've convinced myself).
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:58 am

Woooooow, so you're blasting AC when it gets into the 70s for a few hours a day? Wasteful.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri May 10, 2019 8:04 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Woooooow, so you're blasting AC when it gets into the 70s for a few hours a day? Wasteful.

NO!! I just said I turn on the fan when that happens!

But generally, yes, I'll pay an extra $20 a month in energy to be comfortable and not mess with windows.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:05 am

Idk, I like having windows open. It's refreshing.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 am

Janelle turned on the heat yesterday
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri May 10, 2019 8:30 am

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post Janelle turned on the heat yesterday

It was in the 40's yesterday, she wasn't wrong in turning it on!
Tyler
Owner

Re: Turn on Heater or AC thread

Postby Tyler » Thu May 16, 2019 1:44 pm

90 degrees here. Officially changed Nest from heat/cool to just cool mode.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 am

It got pretty warm in the house on Wednesday, I was tempted to turn AC on but held back. Now it's supposed to be a high of mid-60s today, 50 tomorrow, and mid-40s Sunday.
blake

Postby blake » Wed May 22, 2019 12:38 pm

been doing pretty well with the whole system off for almost the past month

Had a little A/C for a few days a few weeks ago. Actually needed heat this morning.

What's everyone's humidity level in their home on their nest/ecobee? I feel mine has been hovering too high lately. Was 35% for the most part during the winter. And now I'm seeing anywhere from 55%-65% but mainly no airflow and when I turn AC on it, it drops
wags83

Postby wags83 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:46 pm

Had ours completely off for a few days, ran the AC for a little bit one day, now back to needing heat. Says our inside humidity is 43% right now. It's also been raining for a while.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed May 22, 2019 3:08 pm

blake wrote:Source of the post Was 35% for the most part during the winter. And now I'm seeing anywhere from 55%-65% but mainly no airflow and when I turn AC on it, it drops

My house was upper 20's when it was dead winter temps and the house was way too dry. I ran a humidifier.

55-66% right now is too moist for a house. You should have the Nest on and fan running, but not necessarily the AC. Set the AC to like 75 so it doesn't kick on. You need that fan circulating the house though. I have my fan run 15 minutes every year, and on nice days I manually go into the app and set it to run for 12 hours to avoid turning on the AC.
blake

Postby blake » Wed May 22, 2019 3:21 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
blake wrote:Source of the post Was 35% for the most part during the winter. And now I'm seeing anywhere from 55%-65% but mainly no airflow and when I turn AC on it, it drops

My house was upper 20's when it was dead winter temps and the house was way too dry. I ran a humidifier.

55-66% right now is too moist for a house. You should have the Nest on and fan running, but not necessarily the AC. Set the AC to like 75 so it doesn't kick on. You need that fan circulating the house though. I have my fan run 15 minutes every year, and on nice days I manually go into the app and set it to run for 12 hours to avoid turning on the AC.

running fan every 15 minutes per hour going to lesson the humidity levels? Or do you think I need to get a dehumidifier? I've also read the humidity level on the ecobee can be off at times too.... doesn't feel that humid in the house
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed May 22, 2019 3:24 pm

blake wrote:Source of the post running fan every 15 minutes per hour going to lesson the humidity levels? Or do you think I need to get a dehumidifier? I've also read the humidity level on the ecobee can be off at times too.... doesn't feel that humid in the house

Air Flow – Increasing the airflow within your home will help promote the evaporation of any moisture. This is especially helpful for rooms that feel a little more stuffy than the rest of the house. There is a reason you see so many ceiling fans all over the south! The increased circulation of air will do wonders for reducing humidity

We use to run a dehumidifier in the last house as well. Hopefully you can put it somewhere near a floor drain so you don't need to constantly empty the tank.
blake

Postby blake » Wed May 22, 2019 3:26 pm

blake wrote:Source of the post running fan every 15 minutes per hour going to lesson the humidity levels? Or do you think I need to get a dehumidifier? I've also read the humidity level on the ecobee can be off at times too.... doesn't feel that humid in the house

Air Flow – Increasing the airflow within your home will help promote the evaporation of any moisture. This is especially helpful for rooms that feel a little more stuffy than the rest of the house. There is a reason you see so many ceiling fans all over the south! The increased circulation of air will do wonders for reducing humidity

We use to run a dehumidifier in the last house as well. Hopefully you can put it somewhere near a floor drain so you don't need to constantly empty the tank.

makes sense. Have fans running upstairs quite a bit

might get another humidity reader to see if the ecobee is reading an accurate level
blake

Postby blake » Fri May 24, 2019 8:32 am

Bought a humidity reader at Lowes last night. It was reading 12-15 less than what my Ecobee was reading. I could adjust the Ecobee in the settings to reflect a -10 difference but at least closer now and feel better my house isn't as humid as I thought it was reading
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri May 24, 2019 8:39 am

blake wrote:Source of the post Bought a humidity reader at Lowes last night. It was reading 12-15 less than what my Ecobee was reading. I could adjust the Ecobee in the settings to reflect a -10 difference but at least closer now and feel better my house isn't as humid as I thought it was reading

What if the Lowes one is wrong?!
blake

Postby blake » Fri May 24, 2019 9:24 am

blake wrote:Source of the post Bought a humidity reader at Lowes last night. It was reading 12-15 less than what my Ecobee was reading. I could adjust the Ecobee in the settings to reflect a -10 difference but at least closer now and feel better my house isn't as humid as I thought it was reading

What if the Lowes one is wrong?!

lol had great reviews on their website

and read a lot of threads online saying ecobee humidity reader can be way off
Tyler
Owner

Re: Turn on Heater or AC thread

Postby Tyler » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:03 am

110 heat index yesterday. 13 hours of AC the nest says.
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:56 am

It was super hot on Saturday here. Only 7 hours of AC but would have been more if we were home more during the day on Saturday. Pretty hot yesterday too, but the rain helped cool it off some in the afternoon.

Return to “Off Topic”