blake

Amazon Echo

Postby blake » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:40 am

I meant the google home so thanks for answering
Tyler
Owner

Amazon Echo

Postby Tyler » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:44 am

So far (literally like an hour of using it) I haven't been as impressed with the Echo

Pros:
-It's cool there is an "app store" like place to add new skills to the device, but not many of them are interesting.
-Plex is a skill and I can now control Plex on Roku with my voice, however, it doesn't work very well and I would prefer a remote if it was within reach, but I think there is a lot of potential here.
-"Alexa" seems to detect my voice better than "Hey Google". I am sure room placement is a factor in this

Cons:
-Music is basically worthless without a Spotify or Amazon Music Unlimited account. I thought Music was included with Prime, but it is an additional fee
-No Google Music, there is a hack to add it, but it's too complicated for me to figure out
-Knowledge graph is horrible compared to Google. Bmyoungs pointed this out last week when he asked both devices trivia questions and Home could answer them and Echo couldn't
-I wish it had Google Keep integration, but I understand why it doesn't. I don't want to install a new app to keep a 2nd list of shopping things.
-Weird use case, Tylersucks and I share a family prime account. I can see all of his searches on his Dot and he can see all of mine.
-Plex setup was complicated. I had to sign out on the Roku, delete it from my plex server, sign back in, and then Dot could find it.

I kind of played around with shopping, but not too much. I said "order diapers" and she listed off 15 different options. I thought she would look through my order history and order the most recent diapers that I had in there.
wags83

Amazon Echo

Postby wags83 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:58 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post -Weird use case, Tylersucks and I share a family prime account. I can see all of his searches on his Dot and he can see all of mine.

That's gonna be awkward...
bmyoungs

Amazon Echo

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:42 am

Tyler wrote:So far (literally like an hour of using it) I haven't been as impressed with the Echo

Pros:
-It's cool there is an "app store" like place to add new skills to the device, but not many of them are interesting.
-Plex is a skill and I can now control Plex on Roku with my voice, however, it doesn't work very well and I would prefer a remote if it was within reach, but I think there is a lot of potential here.
-"Alexa" seems to detect my voice better than "Hey Google". I am sure room placement is a factor in this

Cons:
-Music is basically worthless without a Spotify or Amazon Music Unlimited account. I thought Music was included with Prime, but it is an additional fee
-No Google Music, there is a hack to add it, but it's too complicated for me to figure out
-Knowledge graph is horrible compared to Google. Bmyoungs pointed this out last week when he asked both devices trivia questions and Home could answer them and Echo couldn't
-I wish it had Google Keep integration, but I understand why it doesn't. I don't want to install a new app to keep a 2nd list of shopping things.
-Weird use case, Tylersucks and I share a family prime account. I can see all of his searches on his Dot and he can see all of mine.
-Plex setup was complicated. I had to sign out on the Roku, delete it from my plex server, sign back in, and then Dot could find it.

I kind of played around with shopping, but not too much. I said "order diapers" and she listed off 15 different options. I thought she would look through my order history and order the most recent diapers that I had in there.

I haven't tried Plex integration. I was sorely disappointed with the Alexa voice remote for fire TV so I would imagine it would be the same.

I'd love to have keep integration on echo. If I had smart home products I'd see much more value in having multiple echos but as it is 1 of them is just a white noise machine in our bedroom for Marshall.

If Google home goes on a good Sale again I would replace the echo in a heartbeat.
tylersucks

Amazon Echo

Postby tylersucks » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:29 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post -Weird use case, Tylersucks and I share a family prime account. I can see all of his searches on his Dot and he can see all of mine.

That's gonna be awkward...

Naw..its cool. Tylers first search was "What's the right tomato score for a king cobra". what the hell is that? Tylers second search was "How small is Brian Crosby's weiner?" Alexa couldn't help.
wags83

Amazon Echo

Postby wags83 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:18 pm

I think we need a new thread where you guys just post each other's amazon searches.
tylersucks

Amazon Echo

Postby tylersucks » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:28 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I think we need a new thread where you guys just post each other's amazon searches.

haha. I like it. Mine would all me my daughter asking stuff like how to spell supercalafragalisticexpalidosious or my wife saying goodnight to alexa.
Tyler
Owner

Amazon Echo

Postby Tyler » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:20 pm

tylersucks wrote:Source of the post Mine would all me my daughter asking stuff like how to spell supercalafragalisticexpalidosious or my wife saying goodnight to alexa.

Here are some good ones. I also think I can listen to the recordings, but I probably shouldnt try that at work.

Alexa, set a timer for 11 minutes
*1 minute later*
Alexa, how much is left on my timer?
*1 minute later*
Alexa, how much is left on my timer?

Alexa, how do you people make dollar bills?

Alexa, one of the use the hot tub to my by paly can't find a bathing suit if you don't come home smelling like light beer and chlorine do not come home at all
LOL! This was from last week's Modern Family. Did someone saying "Alex" in the show set it off?

Alexa, how long is it supposed to be today?

Alexa, add emergency to the shopping list

Alexa, how do you spell water park?

Alexa, is for two words or one?

Alexa, you're dumb

Alexa, how do you spell friends and family?
Tyler
Owner

Re: Amazon Echo

Postby Tyler » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:59 am

Plex stuff is actually cool, but not slick as I wish. Yesterday we couldn't find the remote "Alexa, tell Plex to pause" a second later and it does.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Amazon Echo

Postby cwilkins88 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:11 pm

Tyler wrote:Plex stuff is actually cool, but not slick as I wish. Yesterday we couldn't find the remote "Alexa, tell Plex to pause" a second later and it does.

I can use my phone for the fire TV remote and it solves a lot of problems
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:43 pm

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:34 pm

Also a new echo with a screen. Smaller and cheaper. I believe there are now 7 different echo models
ejhartman91

Amazon Echo

Postby ejhartman91 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:48 am

Tyler wrote:Also a new echo with a screen. Smaller and cheaper. I believe there are now 7 different echo models

These are all intriguing, but I've already got a Google home so I'm holding out to see how Google bolsters it's smart home lineup.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Amazon Echo

Postby Tyler » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:00 pm

Return to “Off Topic”