Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

New phone and phone news

Talk about anything.
Corey
Site Admin

Re: New phone

Postby Corey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:52 pm

Tyler wrote:
Corey wrote:Lollipop is awesome. My work requires a PIN when adding email to your phone which I hated but now Android has Trusted Devices which turns off the PIN when a bluetooth device of your choice is connected (aka my Pebble). Now I don't have to use Touchdown anymore. The camera is awesome and this thing flies through the menus. I have no complaints right now. Pure Android is so much better than the crap that most non-Nexus phones have on them cluttering everything up.

Sounds like the new OS is great, but what about a phone the size of your face? Are you able to comfortably have it in your pocket and sit?

I was reading this morning that the camera only ranks 6th in camera phones :o

Yeah the size is fine. The speakers are pretty amazing as well. It is louder than the HTC One M7 that my coworker has and those are supposed to be some of the best speakers. Front facing stereo speakers are so nice. No more cupping your hand around the phone to get the sound to be directed to your ears.
jathko87

Postby jathko87 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:54 pm

Tyler wrote:
Sounds like the new OS is great, but what about a phone the size of your face? Are you able to comfortably have it in your pocket and sit?

I was reading this morning that the camera only ranks 6th in camera phones :o

Yeah the size is fine. The speakers are pretty amazing as well. It is louder than the HTC One M7 that my coworker has and those are supposed to be some of the best speakers. Front facing stereo speakers are so nice. No more cupping your hand around the phone to get the sound to be directed to your ears.

Unless he's wearing skinny jeans it shouldn't be a problem. I have no problem with my note 4 in my Jean pockets. Only thing I do have a problem with is fitting it in some hoodie pockets. It always fits eventually and then I don't have to worry about it falling out. .

I'm excited for lollipop. But Samsung is always slow to release updates because they are. They say it's because of the bugs and they don't want to send shitty updates out. Last I read it may be January until I see it. I did look up some stuff while I was sitting in the hospital about my phone and got into the developer options and turned something off and it runs smoother between apps and screen changes.
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:57 pm

The remaining big thing on the Nexus 6 is that the phone is encrypted out of the box. All devices that ship with Lollipop are supposed to be encrypted out of the box which causes them to slow down a bit. Googles encryption is really shitty apparently. People have found ways to decrypt the phone and it is showing as 3x faster read/write speeds. I will probably do that eventually once enough people have tried it but at this point I don't see lag so I am fine with the speed.
jathko87

Postby jathko87 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:05 pm

See, you list me at encrypted
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:27 pm

Being the only one at work with a non Samsung phone I can say without a doubt I like pure android better than any other skin. It just looks and feels so much cleaner. Plus its very fast compared to touchwiz.

I guess technically the turbo isn't 100% pure given some Verizon bloat but its really only 4-5 apps and 1 extra widget so I'm cool with it.
Corey
Site Admin

Postby Corey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:58 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Being the only one at work with a non Samsung phone I can say without a doubt I like pure android better than any other skin. It just looks and feels so much cleaner. Plus its very fast compared to touchwiz.

I guess technically the turbo isn't 100% pure given some Verizon bloat but its really only 4-5 apps and 1 extra widget so I'm cool with it.

Yeah, Motorola is the best phone maker at not messing with the OS too much.
simo

Postby simo » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Corey wrote:Yeah, Motorola is the best phone maker at not messing with the OS too much.

^For the time being. They are still putting out products that were in the pipeline when they were Google owned, we'll see what happens when/if Lenovo starts making changes. Remember the Verizon inspired "DROID"s before google? - most bloated phones ever.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:43 pm

simo wrote:
Corey wrote:Yeah, Motorola is the best phone maker at not messing with the OS too much.

^For the time being. They are still putting out products that were in the pipeline when they were Google owned, we'll see what happens when/if Lenovo starts making changes. Remember the Verizon inspired "DROID"s before google? - most bloated phones ever.

Yeah it seems like Verizon is doing less bloat overall with their line up. I am curious to see what lenovo does with Motorola in the coming years
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:34 pm

Posting from my note 4. Was between this and turbo. Both 100 off this weekend. Going to take awhile to get use to. Want to root to get pure android.

Also, no more find my friends. That's the only downside
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:32 am

Thanks corey for suggesting the Google now launcher. Let's me set up the phone more how in want to. I went in and stopped tons of bloatware apps but it still had a lot
jathko87

Postby jathko87 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:53 am

What made you decide note 4? How you do stop bloatware app? Never open them?
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:33 am

jathko87 wrote:What made you decide note 4? How you do stop bloatware app? Never open them?

You can disable them from the app manager. They are not visible that way.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:21 am

What Brad said. I just turned them off. You can't uninstall, but turning off removes them from apps.

I don't know why I went with Note 4 over turbo. This phone is huge, but I will get use to it. Corey thought there might be a bigger rom community behind the note so I can get a pure lollipop eventually. And I figured if I was getting a big phone I might as well go all out.

Turbo does guarantee their screen won't break, and if it does they will replace it (once) for free. It was a tough choice like I said.
jathko87

Postby jathko87 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:54 am

So just push turn off? Lol
jathko87

Postby jathko87 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:53 am

Well that was easy
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:03 pm

Been a day and the size is still huge. Maybe I should have gotten the turbo?!
jathko87

Postby jathko87 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:12 pm

It gets better lol. Plus there is an option for one handed operation, tiny hands .
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:53 pm

One handed options are dumb. If I'm going to reduce the screen then I should have gotten a smaller phone
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:18 pm

If you're not going to use the spen you shouldn't have gotten the note.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:31 am

bmyoungs wrote:If you're not going to use the spen you shouldn't have gotten the note.

Now you tell me! But bigger is better? Only like 15% of note users probably use the pen anyways

Return to “Off Topic”