Top Contributor

Re: Taxes

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:32 am

I love turbotax. It's my fave.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:13 pm

What happens if you don't get a document by Feb 1st? That establishment owes you double the refund?
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:28 pm

i got a few more today
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:39 pm

I'm still waiting on a w2, and my 1099misc for lessons.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:59 pm

Submitted mine today. Need one interest document to do Janelle's
Tag

Postby Tag » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:46 pm

My cousin owns/runs an accounting firm so she does ours. She filed Friday Jan 29th. got our return deposited into our account on Feb 3. almost 5k, 2 kids FTW!!
-Tag
*Formerly known as Slumdog Billionaire

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
bmyoungs

Taxes

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:32 pm

Excited to finish our returns this year with the baby and house. Maine also opened up their college graduate credit to include any college grad and not just Maine grads. So we will both get an extra refund for that, no clue how much it is.
Tyler
Owner

Taxes

Postby Tyler » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:32 pm

Omg stop bragging!
blake

Taxes

Postby blake » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:49 am

Looks like I'll have to pay in this year for the first time. Not complaining though because it was my best year financially
Tyler
Owner

Taxes

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:59 am

blake wrote:Source of the post Looks like I'll have to pay in this year for the first time. Not complaining though because it was my best year financially

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Omg stop bragging!

Tyler
Owner

Taxes

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:44 am

Better finish this weekend if you haven't!!
SleepyChimera

Taxes

Postby SleepyChimera » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:25 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Source of the post Turbo Tax vs H&R Block vs Taxact. Go

I'm employed by HR Block so from experience I can say:
  • Having the face to face experience can be a benefit over the DIY online programs because I have gotten deductions on things for people who had NO IDEA they could get deductions for it just by my knowledge, and asking if they had any items related to it. (IE: day care expenses, charity donations (cash and goods), car registrations, miles driven to and from medical/dental appointments, copays, prescription costs, etc)
  • Some of the Tax Pros DO put in a lot of effort into learning information relevant to your case. I personally spent 5+ hours researching how to file income made while visiting another country, and if any credits can be claimed to reduce the tax liability on it for one young kid.
  • POTENTIAL BENEFIT: With H&R Block's new partnership with IBM Watson, if they take it the direction that I think they will, Watson will observe your taxes (numbers only, no personal info) and millions of others with similar situations to yours, and compare them. If lots of other people receive X deduction or have Y credit, and you don't, in the future he might prompt the Tax Pro to look into it and see if the customer could be eligible for the item. Again this is not CURRENTLY the case, but I believe it very well could be next year or the year after.
  • IF you do try H&R Block, please don't be pissed at your Tax Pro for the cost. It has nothing to do with them or their experience. At the beginning of the year, H&R Block assigns a cost to each and every form that can possibly be filed, and your cost is the cost of those forms added together. Also on that note, we are extremely discouraged from giving coupons (Though my manager says fuck that and is having us hand out coupons left and right if we can). H&R Block apparently did some research a bit back and found that of the customers that received coupons, 5% did not return to us the next year.
  • Wow I got a little carried away on this, didn't I? If you have any questions for me, ask, I will answer honestly.
Extell

Taxes

Postby Extell » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:51 pm

SleepyChimera wrote:Source of the post POTENTIAL BENEFIT: With H&R Block's new partnership with IBM Watson, if they take it the direction that I think they will, Watson will observe your taxes (numbers only, no personal info) and millions of others with similar situations to yours, and compare them. If lots of other people receive X deduction or have Y credit, and you don't, in the future he might prompt the Tax Pro to look into it and see if the customer could be eligible for the item. Again this is not CURRENTLY the case, but I believe it very well could be next year or the year after.

So... they are going to employ Watson to kill your job... Watson = Stage 1 of Skynet
SleepyChimera

Taxes

Postby SleepyChimera » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:06 pm

Extell wrote:Source of the post So... they are going to employ Watson to kill your job... Watson = Stage 1 of Skynet

They insist that they are using Watson only to "augment" the customer experience and make the customer feel that they truly are getting the best possible return (this validating their prices). There is a lot of argument on the in-house forums about who likes it and who doesn't and why. I can see many good potential uses from it, but I do definitely acknowledge the potential for some job replacement.
bmyoungs

Taxes

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:11 pm

I could get a better return if I tracked all my expenses for work better so I could decrease the taxable amount of my lesson income.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
SleepyChimera

Taxes

Postby SleepyChimera » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:15 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I could get a better return if I tracked all my expenses for work better so I could decrease the taxable amount of my lesson income.

From my limited knowledge of business returns, this is true. Though I'm not really educated on how depreciation factors into taxes yet.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:03 am

That time of year. I'm officially my dad. I bought a physical CD copy of TurboTax from Target. It was on sale and red card gives you more discount.
wags83

Taxes

Postby wags83 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:55 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I bought a physical CD copy of TurboTax from Target.

Is it a better deal than doing it online? More features?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:56 am

I've done the desktop version the past 3 years because it includes free filing for multiple returns and Jocelyn and I don't file together.
bmyoungs

Taxes

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:36 pm

Tyler wrote:I've done the desktop version the past 3 years because it includes free filing for multiple returns and Jocelyn and I don't file together.
Do you get a better return filing separately?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Return to “Off Topic”