Page 4 of 5

Re: Taxes

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:13 pm
by Tyler
I'm sure I explained it somewhere in this thread. Because of Jocelyn's career her student loans are forgiven after 10 years, so we want to keep them as small as possible until then. If we file together her income based loans are adjusted for our dual income, if we file separately her loans are based on only her income.

We get way less for a return, but it saves us $400ish+ a month in student loan payments.

Taxes

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:25 pm
by Kath525
That's how Tim and I will be. Trump is trying to take away the program Jocelyn and I are in though!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taxes

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:39 pm
by bmyoungs
Tyler wrote:I'm sure I explained it somewhere in this thread. Because of Jocelyn's career her student loans are forgiven after 10 years, so we want to keep them as small as possible until then. If we file together her income based loans are adjusted for our dual income, if we file separately her loans are based on only her income.

We get way less for a return, but it saves us $400ish+ a month in student loan payments.
Oh yeah you have mentioned that. That is a huge difference and a nice bonus down the road

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Taxes

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:19 pm
by Tyler
Kath525 wrote:That's how Tim and I will be. Trump is trying to take away the program Jocelyn and I are in though!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought it was Betsy. It's funny because the program started in 2007 so the first people to actually get anything were last year and they already want to take it away. Luckily Jocelyn qualifies for a few other programs too, but this one would have had the biggest impact I think.

Re: Taxes

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:13 pm
by Tyler
It's almost time!

Taxes

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:46 pm
by cwilkins88
Tyler wrote:Source of the post It's almost time!


Woooooooo!!!

Re: Taxes

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:58 pm
by Tyler
Just got Deluxe + state TurboTax digital download for $40

Taxes

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:32 pm
by bmyoungs
Getting ours prepared by a pro this year.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Taxes

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:15 pm
by Huss Buss
got my appointment made if that counts

Taxes

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:32 pm
by Tag
i take advantage of how awesome it is that my cousin runs an accounting deal. She's the best!

Taxes

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:38 pm
by ejhartman91
I think I screwed us over this year. Didn't adjust my withholding at the beginning of the year and instead of thousands of $ in refunds we might owe a couple thousand or more...whoops. Also thanks Trump for the super confusing W4.

Re: RE: Taxes

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:57 pm
by Tyler
ejhartman91 wrote:I think I screwed us over this year. Didn't adjust my withholding at the beginning of the year and instead of thousands of $ in refunds we might owe a couple thousand or more...whoops. Also thanks Trump for the super confusing W4.
Oh no! Always a headache when starting a new job. I owed around $1,200 last year so this year I put $100 into savings a month to account for it. Hopefully it works out.

At least your paychecks seemed huge all throughout the year for you?

Taxes

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:28 pm
by ejhartman91
Tyler wrote:Source of the post At least your paychecks seemed huge all throughout the year for you?

That is correct. I did get a bit of a raise over my old job, and I no longer have 401K or Insurance costs at my new job. However, my paychecks were significantly larger than at my previous job. I should have put 2 and 2 together, but oh well...

Taxes

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:37 pm
by cwilkins88
ejhartman91 wrote:
Tyler wrote:Source of the post At least your paychecks seemed huge all throughout the year for you?

That is correct. I did get a bit of a raise over my old job, and I no longer have 401K or Insurance costs at my new job. However, my paychecks were significantly larger than at my previous job. I should have put 2 and 2 together, but oh well...


Well shit. Owing taxes is one of my biggest fears. Sell your dogs.

Taxes

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:00 pm
by bmyoungs
I'm scared of how much I will owe this year from my pro shop income. I'm trying to expense as much as possible.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Taxes

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:59 am
by blake
Haven't filed yet. Worried about needing to pay in as well

Taxes

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:56 pm
by blake
Got a bigger refund than last year somehow haha

My wife runs an in home day care with a few kids so that helps a ton with deductions

Re: RE: Taxes

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:16 pm
by Tyler
blake wrote:Got a bigger refund than last year somehow haha

My wife runs an in home day care with a few kids so that helps a ton with deductions
Don't lie to us. You're part of the 1%ers that benefit from the tax changes. Us middle classers are the ones who got hurt!

Taxes

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:17 pm
by ejhartman91
We will end up owing around $2500 to Fed and getting a $500 state refund. I've already requested a Fed W4 form to adjust my withholding amount...not sure what I did wrong but hopefully we can get closer to $0 next year.

Re: RE: Taxes

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:26 pm
by Tyler
ejhartman91 wrote:We will end up owing around $2500 to Fed and getting a $500 state refund. I've already requested a Fed W4 form to adjust my withholding amount...not sure what I did wrong but hopefully we can get closer to $0 next year.
I changed my fed withholdings from 1 to 0. I too want to be closer to $0 after seeing what happened this year and how much we owe. I'm scared how my monthly pay will me impacted now, I don't want to swing too far in the other direction and get a big return next year.