Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Taxes

Talk about anything.
bmyoungs

Taxes

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:25 pm

It's so weird having ours done for the first time. I submitted all our documents and now I'm just waiting.

I withhold 0 on my check to hopefully counter anything extra I make from lessons etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
ejhartman91

Taxes

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:09 pm

Just filed tonight. Turns out I hadn't yet added our insurance stuff which meant we got a little more back from the state and owed a little less to Fed. Just filled out the new W4 and turns out I should be claiming 0 and witholding an additional $100 or so more from each paycheck...
Tyler
Owner

Taxes

Postby Tyler » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:17 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Just filed tonight. Turns out I hadn't yet added our insurance stuff which meant we got a little more back from the state and owed a little less to Fed. Just filled out the new W4 and turns out I should be claiming 0 and witholding an additional $100 or so more from each paycheck...

DINK
Have a kid or something
Tyler
Owner

Taxes

Postby Tyler » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:17 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post It's so weird having ours done for the first time. I submitted all our documents and now I'm just waiting.

I withhold 0 on my check to hopefully counter anything extra I make from lessons etc.

That is weird. So much trust! Where did you end up going? One of the seasonal places or a real accountant?
bmyoungs

Taxes

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:47 pm

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post It's so weird having ours done for the first time. I submitted all our documents and now I'm just waiting.

That is weird. So much trust! Where did you end up going? One of the seasonal places or a real accountant?
Real accountant. I figure I'm just as good at taxes as one of the seasonal places. If I wanted I could do my own and compare to see if it's worth it but I really don't want to do that

Tyler
Owner

Re: Taxes

Postby Tyler » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:53 pm

Good move. I was hoping you would say accountant.
blake

Taxes

Postby blake » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:36 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
blake wrote:Got a bigger refund than last year somehow haha

My wife runs an in home day care with a few kids so that helps a ton with deductions
Don't lie to us. You're part of the 1%ers that benefit from the tax changes. Us middle classers are the ones who got hurt!

ha! I wish
blake

Taxes

Postby blake » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Love not worrying about state income tax
Tyler
Owner

Taxes

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:40 pm

Congress Is About to Ban the Government From Offering Free Online Tax Filing. Thank TurboTax.

Clarification:
This is the end of the IRS itself offering a free service (for folks < $70k annual income). Those folks will get the simple free service through some corporate offering, if this is passed, which would include the freetaxusa online service.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Taxes

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:16 am

So what's happening here is Turbo Tax (and I presume other tax filing services HR Block, TaxACt, etc...) are lobbying against the Government from helping people file taxes. I know other countries have their government prepare the taxes then send them to their residence to verify information or something along the lines of that. It takes all of five minutes in those countries.

Big Tax is fighting against that from happening.
Tyler
Owner

Taxes

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:39 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post I know other countries have their government prepare the taxes then send them to their residence to verify information or something along the lines of that. It takes all of five minutes in those countries.

We should have that. For 95% of people the government probably has everything they need. When you do your taxes and send it in, you arent giving them any new information. IRS is just checking what they already have on you against what you sent in. (I think)
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Taxes

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:42 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post I know other countries have their government prepare the taxes then send them to their residence to verify information or something along the lines of that. It takes all of five minutes in those countries.

We should have that. For 95% of people the government probably has everything they need. When you do your taxes and send it in, you arent giving them any new information. IRS is just checking what they already have on you against what you sent in. (I think)

Exactly. I recall reading an article, on Cracked I think, where a county in California tried this method, and an overwhelming number of residents preferred this method. Corporate Tax companies then lobbied against it to shut it down. I'll see if I can find it.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Taxes

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:04 pm

.Image
wags83

Taxes

Postby wags83 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:12 am

Lol, I've seen a few meme-type things like that. Makes the process of paying taxes seem so dumb....because they are.
wags83

Taxes

Postby wags83 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:13 am

DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Taxes

Postby DannyFanny » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:58 am

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1 ... 3613349888 An addendum to a thread about Tax Services. Original thread is linked in the tweet.

TL;DR Corporate Tax Services (Turbo Tax, H&R Block, etc...) are actively hiding their required free services for people making under $66K a year in order to get people to pay for the upgraded tax prep. services.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Taxes

Postby Tyler » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:35 pm

DannyFanny wrote:https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1121786103613349888 An addendum to a thread about Tax Services. Original thread is linked in the tweet.

TL;DR Corporate Tax Services (Turbo Tax, H&R Block, etc...) are actively hiding their required free services for people making under $66K a year in order to get people to pay for the upgraded tax prep. services.
I like how this backfired on them. Added the code, that got discovered, and now tons of articles about it are driving up results for the free version.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Taxes

Postby Tyler » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:11 pm

DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Taxes

Postby DannyFanny » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:11 pm

I will personally accept all responsibility for having Congress shutdown these lobbyists. And people think one or two random posts on an obscure forum don't do anything.

Return to “Off Topic”