Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Cloud Storage and Backup

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Cloud Storage and Backup

Postby Tyler » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:40 am

Corey and I have been discussing this as of late because we are nerds and care about securing our stuff.

Does anyone back up pictures, videos, documents, etc? If so, what methods do you use? Local vs cloud?

My current system is: backup all documents/pictures/etc to a portable hard drive connected to PC. Some important documents are stored on Google Drive. This protects against harddrive failure on my desktop, but not theft/fire.

Proposed system: continue to backup locally onto portable hard drives but also use Google Picasa. Google offers unlimited cloud storage for photos if you let them resize the pictures to a slightly smaller, but still big enough, size. I am also going to use Google Drive more for documents.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Re: Cloud Storage and Backup

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:46 am

I'm really.....paranoid.

I have all my photos/documents/videos backed up on a primary and secondary drive, all of which are also uploaded to my dropbox and amazon cloud accounts, and pictures are uploaded to flickr.

Documents are also on dropbox and simultaneously backed up on my google drive account. Also, my ebooks.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:19 am

Yeah, you are crazy. I hope with Google Picasa I can make it pretty seamless. Google Drive is seamless if you install the desktop version and just have everything save to the Google Drive folder.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:03 pm

I've been using one drive since I got a windows phone. My pics instantly back up and on the rare occasion I have a document of importance I put them there. Easy to access on phone, surface, and computers
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:04 pm

bmyoungs wrote:I've been using one drive since I got a windows phone. My pics instantly back up and on the rare occasion I have a document of importance I put them there. Easy to access on phone, surface, and computers

One Drive works with your android? And isn't One Drive only 15gb? I like that Google is unlimited if you resize pics
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:17 pm

Resizing and backing up 10,00 pictures now. How do I have this many pictures? I don't think I do?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:13 pm

Tyler wrote:Resizing and backing up 10,00 pictures now. How do I have this many pictures? I don't think I do?

Now it says 20k. Going to let it run and see what happens.

Edit: Whoops. I was backing up every image file for Plex and all other media
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:36 am

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:I've been using one drive since I got a windows phone. My pics instantly back up and on the rare occasion I have a document of importance I put them there. Easy to access on phone, surface, and computers

One Drive works with your android? And isn't One Drive only 15gb? I like that Google is unlimited if you resize pics

I have 100gb for one drive. And it works great on android. Arguably better than it did on windows.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:11 am

Google Photos has been removed from Google+ and is now a standalone service. That's pretty neat. I expect them to make enhancements more often now.
blake

Postby blake » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:19 am

I don't. Any pictures I care about are uploaded to facebook/instagram
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:37 am

blake wrote:I don't. Any pictures I care about are uploaded to facebook/instagram

People are entitled to their privacy though. I imagine we will be taking hundreds of pictures with a new baby. We don't need all of those on FB or social media. It's good taking pictures just for your own benefit, not just for likes.
blake

Postby blake » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:42 am

My wife is the picture taker. i think she uploads them all to shutterfly
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:19 pm

I'm adding all 8,000+ photos to Google Photos right now. It's so smart at grouping them and tagging. If you take a picture with your camera it will geotag the location. Google is also smart enough to tag folders based on what it sees. I used my camera in Chicago (no geotaging) but it still made a Chicago album based on the images. It also knows what I did what day and does cool scrap booking like things. Very very neat.

Much more enjoyable to look at pictures this way vs tons of folders. I rediscovered tons of embarrassing college pictures of Corey, Awright, etc so I will be sharing those gradually
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:00 pm

That's pretty cool. Also a bit creepy.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:31 pm

wags83 wrote:That's pretty cool. Also a bit creepy.

werd
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:10 am

It's an amazing tool. If anyone has pictures they need to upload them to Google Photos
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:24 am

Tyler wrote:It's an amazing tool. If anyone has pictures they need to upload them to Google Photos

I'm not seeing this tagging in my albums you're referring to. Is it only on the web application that it's sorted or do you have geo tagging enabled on your camera?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:37 am

bmyoungs wrote:I'm not seeing this tagging in my albums you're referring to. Is it only on the web application that it's sorted or do you have geo tagging enabled on your camera?

It auto created albums/collections for me called "Trip to New York" and "Trip to DC". I took all those pictures with a camera that has no geotagging and it was smart enough to make the albums.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:04 am

It already did that for my Orlando ones. Really cool.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:18 am

cwilkins88 wrote:It already did that for my Orlando ones. Really cool.

Yeah, but your phone has geotagging. It's more impressive when it does it without the GPS but just based on scenery

Return to “Off Topic”