Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

What to read?

Talk about anything.
Artukka

What to read?

Postby Artukka » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:32 pm

A while back after reading a few Joe Abercrombie books (fairly gritty and soul-crushing stuff) and following some depressing real world news, I was in the mood for some more uplifting escapism. I've found that the works of Brandon Sanderson pretty well fit that pretty well -- over the past several months I've read most of his catalog. My favorite series of his so far is his most ambitious one, the Stormlight Archives, which starts with The Way of Kings.

Sanderson's main shtick is creating well-developed, fair and coherent supernatural elements and incorporating them effectively in the progression of the characters and plot. His prose and dialogue is straight forward and contemporary. Most of his books tend to be coming of age stories of some variety, particularly in the early part of a series. One great thing about Sanderson is that he actually finishes books (and regularly updates fans as to the progress he's making on them), unlike a few great fantasy authors with ongoing series that one could name.
wags83

What to read?

Postby wags83 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:26 pm

Artukka wrote:Source of the post unlike a few great fantasy authors with ongoing series that one could name.

Hmmm....doesn't ring a bell
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

What to read?

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:27 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post
Artukka wrote:Source of the post unlike a few great fantasy authors with ongoing series that one could name.

Which reminds me. When are we going to see your next book, Chris?
wags83

What to read?

Postby wags83 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:34 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post
wags83 wrote:Source of the post

Which reminds me. When are we going to see your next book, Chris?

My fans have been impatiently waiting ever since I won that short story award in 3rd grade.
Tyler
Owner

Re: What to read?

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:16 pm

Danny, are you still reading that book? I'm looking for a new book since I finished Artemis. I feel slightly better about myself if I read for 20 minutes at night instead of looking at memes.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

What to read?

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:28 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Danny, are you still reading that book? I'm looking for a new book since I finished Artemis. I feel slightly better about myself if I read for 20 minutes at night instead of looking at memes.

Yeah about two-thirds of the way through. I'd recommend it if you liked the other two in the series. I would be finished if I read it every night since I initially picked it up. Lots of chapters keep me wanting to find out what crazy BS is going to happen next.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: What to read?

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:14 pm

DannyFanny wrote:
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Danny, are you still reading that book? I'm looking for a new book since I finished Artemis. I feel slightly better about myself if I read for 20 minutes at night instead of looking at memes.

Yeah about two-thirds of the way through. I'd recommend it if you liked the other two in the series. I would be finished if I read it every night since I initially picked it up. Lots of chapters keep me wanting to find out what crazy BS is going to happen next.
I read the intro last night, count it? Should I read a summary of the last 2 books or does it matter? I don't really remember them at all.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

What to read?

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:21 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I read the intro last night, count it? Should I read a summary of the last 2 books or does it matter? I don't really remember them at all.

I don't see how it would hurt to get a quick refresher.
Tag

What to read?

Postby Tag » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:10 pm

currently reading 19 Minutes while at work. its awesome
-Tag
*Formerly known as Slumdog Billionaire

As Pat from Silver Linings Playbook says... "I've got nothing but love for you, brother."
Tyler
Owner

What to read?

Postby Tyler » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:32 am

Danny, I am about halfway through the newest David Wong book. I never did go back and read any summaries of the other books, but they filled in enough of the gaps for me (like how did they get their powers). It's silly and dumb, but I enjoy reading it.
CrckrJack

What to read?

Postby CrckrJack » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:53 am

I am rereading Harry Potter :)

I also have a stack of war books to get through. I have read a few of this genre and they have been pretty interesting.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

What to read?

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:18 pm

I was recommended 'Red Rising' by Pierce Brown.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:00 pm

Tyler wrote:Danny, I am about halfway through the newest David Wong book. I never did go back and read any summaries of the other books, but they filled in enough of the gaps for me (like how did they get their powers). It's silly and dumb, but I enjoy reading it.
It's also creepy! It doesn't keep me up at night, but some of the scenarios are freaky. Like when a mother realizes her son isn't real, same with John's dog. Just read the part were the missing child is a giant maggot (hey, her name is Maggie too) and is eating her "mom"
Tyler
Owner

Re: What to read?

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:21 pm

I finished Danny. Looks like there was a 3rd David Wong book I missed, Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits.

This book was as entertaining as the others (from what I can remember) up until the end. There wasn't really a conclusion and the book admits that. The ride was wacky though so I enjoyed it.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

What to read?

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:29 pm

Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits isn't part of the JDatE series. I feel like I've mentioned the book earlier.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:44 am

DannyFanny wrote:Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits isn't part of the JDatE series. I feel like I've mentioned the book earlier.
Yes you did, in the favorites of 2015 thread.

I think the next book I read will be the Hitchhikers Guide. I've never read it and my boss has been recommending it since I started here.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

What to read?

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:20 am

Hitchhiker's Guide is fun. I liked the movie too. I should read the rest of that series.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:33 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Hitchhiker's Guide is fun. I liked the movie too. I should read the rest of that series.
The one I got is the Ultimate Guide and has all 5 books. I didn't realize that at first. Had 25 pages (on my Kindle) of forwards too before the story even started.

Return to “Off Topic”