Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

What to read?

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: What to read?

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:35 pm

bmyoungs wrote:I listened to enders game on audible and ended up just diving into the entire enderverse series of books (like 8-12 books?) Honestly there's like 2 good books and everything else pisses me off but I still listened.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Wilkins once showed me a flowchart of the books timeline. I'm not reading those. Cool you listened to them all though
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

What to read?

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:46 pm

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:I listened to enders game on audible and ended up just diving into the entire enderverse series of books (like 8-12 books?) Honestly there's like 2 good books and everything else pisses me off but I still listened.

Wilkins once showed me a flowchart of the books timeline. I'm not reading those. Cool you listened to them all though
I read all of them! Have not started the one that came out last month

bmyoungs

What to read?

Postby bmyoungs » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:48 pm

Tyler wrote:

If you're in for a deep dive it's fine. Overall though 60% of each book I hate.

cwilkins88
Top Contributor

What to read?

Postby cwilkins88 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:57 pm

bmyoungs wrote:
Tyler wrote:

I could see that. I liked the bean series and the first split on ender. The second 2 just get weird

bmyoungs

What to read?

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:07 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:
Tyler wrote:

I could see that. I liked the bean series and the first split on ender. The second 2 just get weird

Yeah I'd agree with that, outside of beans love life bs those were good.

I'm not totally dissatisfied with earth unaware and earth afire either. Card's writing style just drags whenever he discusses any type of relationship or God.

cwilkins88
Top Contributor

What to read?

Postby cwilkins88 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:52 pm

bmyoungs wrote:
cwilkins88 wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:
Tyler wrote:

Yeah I'd agree with that, outside of beans love life bs those were good.

I'm not totally dissatisfied with earth unaware and earth afire either. Card's writing style just drags whenever he discusses any type of relationship or God.

None of that happens in the other books. The earth .... Books are good enough, just unnecessary.

Tyler
Owner

Re: What to read?

Postby Tyler » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:28 pm

Ready Player Two comes out in a month. I'll read

Starting Console Wars now. Amazon turned it into a documentary. It's written by the guy who did the Oculus VR history book. This one is Nintendo vs Sega mostly I believe
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

What to read?

Postby DannyFanny » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:23 am

Currently reading the second book in David Wong's Zoey Ashe series. It came out on the 13th.
Lovecraft country will be next.

I'm not sure how into RPT I will be. I didn't really like his book Armada.
Tyler
Owner

What to read?

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:31 am

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post I'm not sure how into RPT I will be. I didn't really like his book Armada.

I don't have high hopes, lol, but I need to read it because of VR.

On Tested podcast one of the host was begging the other one not to spoil anything, but he read him the synopsis. I am less excited after hearing that. lol.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

What to read?

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:53 pm

Zoey Punches the Future in the Dick has some VR in it. I re-read the first one book, "Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits," prior to ZPtFitD. I think I liked the first one more. Felt like the stakes were higher. But with any David Wong book I still found it an enjoyable read.

That said, I started Lovecraft Country the other night. Obviously the differences are popping out to me right in the beginning. I'm glad they consolidated that one story in the first episode. You know the one.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

What to read?

Postby DannyFanny » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:30 pm

I'm looking into other books by Matt Ruff.
Bad Monkey(2007): Arrested for murder, Jane Charlotte claims to be part of a secret organization dedicated to fighting evil. This claim lands her in the psych ward at the prison. Sounds similar to 12 Monkeys.

The Mirage (2012): Essentially a bazaaro version of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, where Fundamentalist Christians attack World Trade Centers in the United Arab States. Captured prisoners tell tales of living a mirage and how things actually happened. This sounds kind of interesting.

88 Names (2020): A paid guide in an MMORPG suspects his newest client might actually be Kim Jong-Un. This sounds like a Tyler type of book.
suprams_info

What to read?

Postby suprams_info » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:19 am

Recently read Screw it, let's do it by Richard Branson. It's full of adventures and motivation!
bmyoungs

What to read?

Postby bmyoungs » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:16 am

Just finished Ready Player two. I have thoughts but I also won't be upset if no one else reads it ever to discuss.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: What to read?

Postby Tyler » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:53 am

bmyoungs wrote:Just finished Ready Player two. I have thoughts but I also won't be upset if no one else reads it ever to discuss.

I'll read it after Console Wars, but this book must be pretty big. I've been reading pretty regularly and only at 30% or so.

You said you didn't like Wheaton's narration? Did you listen to the first one with him?
bmyoungs

What to read?

Postby bmyoungs » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:57 am

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Just finished Ready Player two. I have thoughts but I also won't be upset if no one else reads it ever to discuss.

I'll read it after Console Wars, but this book must be pretty big. I've been reading pretty regularly and only at 30% or so.

You said you didn't like Wheaton's narration? Did you listen to the first one with him?
Yeah I've actually listened to quite a few books with his narration. Honestly I think with how soulless this book is combined with his emotion less narration it's a bad match.

I didn't have an issue in book 1 with him and I enjoyed red coats. The head on series is also quite good and he does that.

kasperskyhelps

What to read?

Postby kasperskyhelps » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:29 am

I am currently reading The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Return to “Off Topic”