Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

What to read?

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Re: What to read?

Postby Tyler » Mon May 18, 2015 8:32 am

Started John Dies at the End last night. Only got through the preface. I had no idea what this book was about but the preface sets the tone pretty well. I didn't even know it was comic horror until I started
megatron

Postby megatron » Mon May 18, 2015 9:26 pm

I'm listening to Amy Poehler's book Yes Please. She's pretty funny and she has guests read different chapters so it's a cool way to read other than actually reading. If you haven't listened to an audiobook before and want a few laughs, I recommend listening to this for sure.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon May 18, 2015 10:06 pm

I started "reading" ready player one today. Just got to the part where he's actually entering oasis.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon May 18, 2015 10:12 pm

And I just read chapter 1 of John Dies. Look at us 3. We are so smart
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri May 22, 2015 9:59 pm

I called John Dies at the End one of the strongest books I've ever read the other day and I got a judgmental comment from cwilkins as if it isn't even that weird. I am going to rephrase this, John Dies at the End is the strangest book I have ever read.

Cwilkins has seen the movie and not read the book so maybe the movie isn't as weird, but the book is super super weird and nothing makes sense ever; but it is still good.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

What to read?

Postby DannyFanny » Fri May 22, 2015 10:45 pm

Book is much stranger than the movie.

The movie doesn't explore all the themes and subplots the book does.

Are you liking it at least?
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat May 23, 2015 9:19 am

Oh yeah. I'm liking it, just very strange
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Tue May 26, 2015 12:30 am

Finished ready player one today with like 9 hours left on my drive.

I really liked the references and subject matter of the book but felt the plot line was fairly basic.

I'm excited to check out his book coming out in July.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:20 pm

What's his new book about?

I finishes John Dies at the End. Such a weird weird book. The "big reveal" was interesting but then nothing came from it. I hope to watch the movie this weekend. I'll probably read the sequel next
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:26 pm

TL;DR. Kid spends most of his time daydreaming and playing video games. One day he sees a alien space ship that is identical to one in his favorite video game.

Sounds like the video game is actually used to prevent an alien invasion... wait this sounds like ender's game.
http://www.amazon.com/Armada-A-Novel-Er ... 0804137250
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:23 am

I never read Ender's Game, but I'll probably read his new book
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:39 am

Neither have I. I've only watched the movie
JocelynJane

Postby JocelynJane » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:14 am

I'm in a book club with some teacher friends this summer, and so far they have been leaning towards classics. I guess the idea is that we a) read plenty of juicy but not particularly thought provoking books on our own time and b) spend a lot of time reading kids books to keep up with our students. We just finished reading Fahrenheit 451 and only 4 of us made it through. We are going to read the Grapes of Wrath next... Hopefully this one is a bit more engaging. Anyone ever read it? Characters I can get invested in? Fahrenheit 451 was all theme/commentary on society with no real character development.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:26 am

JocelynJane wrote:I'm in a book club with some teacher friends this summer, and so far they have been leaning towards classics. I guess the idea is that we a) read plenty of juicy but not particularly thought provoking books on our own time and b) spend a lot of time reading kids books to keep up with our students. We just finished reading Fahrenheit 451 and only 4 of us made it through. We are going to read the Grapes of Wrath next... Hopefully this one is a bit more engaging. Anyone ever read it? Characters I can get invested in? Fahrenheit 451 was all theme/commentary on society with no real character development.

I've read Fahrenheit 451. I like those Classic Dystopian books ie Fahrenheit 451, 1984m etc. Yeah I'll agree the characters aren't memorable compared to the themes of the book.
awright

What to read?

Postby awright » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:19 pm

I have...If you didn't like Fahrenheit 451, you likely won't like Grapes of Wrath lol I'm with Danny and find those books great... John Steinbeck books aren't edge of your seat material though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JocelynJane

Postby JocelynJane » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:54 pm

awright wrote:I have...If you didn't like Fahrenheit 451, you likely won't like Grapes of Wrath lol I'm with Danny and find those books great... John Steinbeck books aren't edge of your seat material though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't dislike it by any means, it just wasn't a page turner!
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:45 am

DannyFanny wrote:I felt TBiFoS showed a lot more character growth in John and Dave and had a touch more realism than JDatE. Not to say that these books are realistic, because they aren't. To me the ending felt a little rushed after this long tense build up.

I'm liking TBiFoS more. I am sure you know this, but JDatE is a collection of short stories that he did and then combined them into a book. TBiFoS flows a lot better since it's one story throughout the whole thing. I am about half way through and do find it more "realistic" even though it's not real at all. I can get on board with spiders that crawl into your mouth and take over your body easier than all of the time travel, mutli dimensional, meat men, ghost and ghouls of the first book.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Postby DannyFanny » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:43 pm

John and Dave's actions actually have weight in TBiFoS. That's what I liked. The book shows growth.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:15 pm

DannyFanny wrote:John and Dave's actions actually have weight in TBiFoS. That's what I liked. The book shows growth.

Just read about the massacre. How the college kids thought they were killing zombies but it was actually all of those concentration camp prisoners trying to escape.
awright

Postby awright » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:10 pm

I just checked out the complete Sandman from the local library and plan to invest some time in that for awhile. It's received so much praise and the story is much more interesting than I had imagined.

Return to “Off Topic”