Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Home Networking

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Home Networking

Postby Tyler » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:56 pm

I got a new modem on Friday. My internet has been acting funny (lagging in games, drops in Rec Room, buffering for remote Plex, crappy webcam quality). I tried 3 different routers without much improvement so I figured it had to be the modem. The weird thing is that I was still getting consistent speeds according to Speedtest.net during all of the problems.

I replaced an Arris SB6183 with a Motorla MB7420. On paper they should perform the exact same, but the Motorola had slightly better reviews. Still too early to make a final call, but it seems like the remote Plex stuff is at least better. I tried testing my webcam at home on 2 laptops and it still seems pretty bad, but I'm not sure what you guys were seeing Thursday when you said it was awful. I also haven't played any games to see if that was improved. I'll hang onto the receipt and return it if things still seem bad.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Home Networking

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:55 am

I've been thinking about replacing my modem/router from Mediacom (https://www.amazon.com/TECHNICOLOR-TC87 ... B01DFM5Q12). Lately the Wifi seems to drop in and out for about an hour at a time. Wifi will be up for 5 minutes then down for 5 minutes. I've tried resetting the router and that doesn't help. It happens in all weather conditions but is usually at night. Maybe we have too much traffic in area because this could easily be happening at peak hours?

What are some good suggestions for what I would need? A lot of times we have three or so devices connected to the wifi. Maria is usually streaming some movie or tv show, while I'm playing PS4 and have something on twitch for background noise.
bmyoungs

Home Networking

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:59 am

DannyFanny wrote:I've been thinking about replacing my modem/router from Mediacom (https://www.amazon.com/TECHNICOLOR-TC87 ... B01DFM5Q12). Lately the Wifi seems to drop in and out for about an hour at a time. Wifi will be up for 5 minutes then down for 5 minutes. I've tried resetting the router and that doesn't help. It happens in all weather conditions but is usually at night. Maybe we have too much traffic in area because this could easily be happening at peak hours?

What are some good suggestions for what I would need? A lot of times we have three or so devices connected to the wifi. Maria is usually streaming some movie or tv show, while I'm playing PS4 and have something on twitch for background noise.
I think this is what most of us have for a router now. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075GYWPCJ/re ... zAbGN54ZHK

I have had zero issues with dropping and it has consistent speeds. I used to use my own mod m but spectrum bought time Warner and they don't charge for their modem so we just use that now.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Corey
Site Admin

Home Networking

Postby Corey » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:06 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the postI think this is what most of us have for a router now. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075GYWPCJ/re ... zAbGN54ZHK

I have had zero issues with dropping and it has consistent speeds. I used to use my own mod m but spectrum bought time Warner and they don't charge for their modem so we just use that now.

Yep. This will easily be the best bang for your buck.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Home Networking

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:20 am

Yep, I think 6+ of us have that exact one. $60 is average price for it but you can find it for less on Slickdeals pretty regularly.

Are you going to keep using the modem/router and just then off router option?
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Home Networking

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:35 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Yep, I think 6+ of us have that exact one. $60 is average price for it but you can find it for less on Slickdeals pretty regularly.

Are you going to keep using the modem/router and just then off router option?

I'd try that first and see if that eliminates my issues.
Tyler
Owner

Home Networking

Postby Tyler » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:49 am

I tried months ago to flash Asus proper firmware on my T-mobile router but failed. Corey did it over the weekend and gave me the motivation to try it again, and I succeed last night. 99.9% of people who buy the T-mobile should have no reason to do the complicated steps we did, but Corey and I want to use some new router features that the T-mobile build was never going to get.

I still haven't been able to get mine fully updated, but it was a fun project to do last night.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Home Networking

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:44 pm

Ordered the aforementioned router. I may have some questions this weekend, Tyler.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Home Networking

Postby Tyler » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:18 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Ordered the aforementioned router. I may have some questions this weekend, Tyler.
Did you get it from Slickdeals? I saw it was up today.

I'll be happy to help!
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:46 am

DannyFanny wrote:Ordered the aforementioned router. I may have some questions this weekend, Tyler.
I didn't hear from you. Did you get it hooked up?!
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Home Networking

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:11 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post

So I found out Mediacom blocks access to their rental router unless you pay extra a month for it. So I bought an Arris SB6183 should be showing up Wednesday. This also eliminates the monthly rental fee.
bmyoungs

Home Networking

Postby bmyoungs » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:39 am

DannyFanny wrote:

So I found out Mediacom blocks access to their rental router unless you pay extra a month for it. So I bought an Arris SB6183 should be showing up Wednesday. This also eliminates the monthly rental fee.
That is the single most annoying thing I have ever heard

Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:05 am

That's real dumb. Good call on the 6183. Wilkins bought it last week and I've had it for awhile. That modem paired with that router will be solid.

Calling Mediacom is probably the easiest way to hook up the modem. They will need the Mac address and ask like 5 times to make sure you are not longer billed for the modem and they can take it back.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Home Networking

Postby DannyFanny » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:15 am

Modem and Router set up. Didn't have much trouble getting it to work. Just need to call mediacom to make sure the modem rental gets taken off my account
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:12 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Modem and Router set up. Didn't have much trouble getting it to work. Just need to call mediacom to make sure the modem rental gets taken off my account
Nice hacking! Does speedtest.net show any increase already?
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Home Networking

Postby DannyFanny » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:31 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Modem and Router set up. Didn't have much trouble getting it to work. Just need to call mediacom to make sure the modem rental gets taken off my account
Nice hacking! Does speedtest.net show any increase already?

Haven't noticed anything significant. The numbers weren't bad before. However, I connected my PS4 directly to the router and wasn't given a restricted (Nat3) connection like I did with the rental unit.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:41 pm

Success!! We did it guys.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:01 am

TMobile ac1900 router is on sale for $37.50 on slickdeals. Lowest ever?
Tyler
Owner

Home Networking

Postby Tyler » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:18 pm

Return to “Off Topic”