Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Home Networking

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Home Networking

Postby Tyler » Sat May 04, 2019 7:34 pm

Corey wrote:I've had issues when working from home with Microsoft Teams meetings and people complaining of me sounding like a robot. This is typically caused by dropped packets so I can only assume that my TP-Link mesh WiFi sucks at being a router or has some goofy QoS that I can't configure. I hooked my T-Mobile router back up and am using this as my router and the mesh WiFi devices simply as WiFi access points. I had an hour long meeting yesterday after changing that and had no complaints.
Do you have 2 SSIDs or just have the TMobile wifi turned off? Weird that the WiFi is fine on the tplink mesh, but the actual hardwired router is bad
Corey
Site Admin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Home Networking

Postby Corey » Sun May 05, 2019 9:50 am

Tyler wrote:
Corey wrote:I've had issues when working from home with Microsoft Teams meetings and people complaining of me sounding like a robot. This is typically caused by dropped packets so I can only assume that my TP-Link mesh WiFi sucks at being a router or has some goofy QoS that I can't configure. I hooked my T-Mobile router back up and am using this as my router and the mesh WiFi devices simply as WiFi access points. I had an hour long meeting yesterday after changing that and had no complaints.
Do you have 2 SSIDs or just have the TMobile wifi turned off? Weird that the WiFi is fine on the tplink mesh, but the actual hardwired router is bad
I couldn't find a way to disable the WiFi on T-Mobile so I just hid the SSID. The same issue occurred when on the WiFi as well so it was a routing issue when the TP-Link was serving as the router.
ejhartman91

Home Networking

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:10 pm

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to ... A-network/
I just learned about MoCA as an option to extend wired internet throughout the home. Since each room we have is wired with coax I'm wondering if this is viable for us in situations where having a wired connection would be best (TVs/Streaming Devices/Gaming Consoles/etc.). Has anyone tried this? It seems on the surface to be better than something like a powerline adapter.
Tyler
Owner

Home Networking

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:55 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to ... A-network/
I just learned about MoCA as an option to extend wired internet throughout the home. Since each room we have is wired with coax I'm wondering if this is viable for us in situations where having a wired connection would be best (TVs/Streaming Devices/Gaming Consoles/etc.). Has anyone tried this? It seems on the surface to be better than something like a powerline adapter.

I have never used MoCA because they are so expensive compared to powerline adapters. What are you trying to do? I am very happy with my Orbi Mesh solution. Do you have devices in other rooms that you want hardwired back to the router?
Tyler
Owner

Home Networking

Postby Tyler » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:04 pm

I've been playing around with entire home network adblockers over the past year. I've gone from PiHole running in a VM to Ad Guard running locally on a Windows PC that is always left on. I would be happy to walk anyone through this. I have turned it off a couple times because of issues and I can never go back. It is a drastic difference to me but I dont think Jocelyn notices it at all or takes it for granted without realizing I have it on.

About 30% of my traffic gets blocked for various reasons. As a test, go to www.naibuzz.com with no adblocker. How horrible is that? I now see zero ads on desktop and mobile
Tyler
Owner

Re: Home Networking

Postby Tyler » Thu May 14, 2020 10:40 pm

Corey talked me into a new prosumer router... I'm going to keep my Orbi for now as AP. Really I just want better data stats in devices.
ejhartman91

Home Networking

Postby ejhartman91 » Sun May 17, 2020 12:00 pm

What did you get?
ejhartman91

Home Networking

Postby ejhartman91 » Sun May 17, 2020 12:00 pm

What did you get?
Tyler
Owner

Re: RE: Home Networking

Postby Tyler » Sun May 17, 2020 1:57 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:What did you get?
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway (USG)

$130 on Amazon. I am sure I'll be like Corey and end up getting switches and APs next.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri May 29, 2020 6:39 pm

I blame Corey again. If Jocelyn asks, it's a new smoke detector.

Jk. She gave me her permission. Took 7 trips to the attic because I was too proud to ask for help with pulling the cable from the basement.

DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Home Networking

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:30 pm

Thinking of upgrading equipment this year. Though my router and modem should be good for the speeds (300/30) I'm getting, they are a few years old now.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a SB6190 from the SB6183, but don't know what router to get. I have the ASUS AC1900 that has been linked in this thread.

Maybe it's not worth upgrading stuff right, but my speeds have been spotty lately with upload being less than a mb. I'm sure if I called mediacom they will blame my equipment first.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Home Networking

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:52 pm

I can get a refurbished linksys EA7300 (AC1750) or EA7500 (AC1900) through work.

Also have been eyeing the motorola MB7621 for the modem.

I doubt I need to get docsis 3.1 modem because it's unlikely I'll have access to 1gig speeds anytime soon.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:19 pm

I've had numerous SB over the years and have always thought they were good. I would get a new one every time I upped my internet speed because I never went all out when buying a new one.

Remind me, is your router in the center of your house?
I'm not sure if the EA7500 would be better than the tmobile one. Is the tmobile one just 2 antenna? If the price is right through work give it a try.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Home Networking

Postby DannyFanny » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:38 pm

router and modem are in the basement. House is small enough that I don't have any connectivity issues. Have thought about using the line I've pulled to my living room to move my router up here. Might do that if I upgrade everything, then I can use the etherports on the router to connect to a multiple devices instead of just my ps4.

I'll grab a router from work a test that out for a week or so.
Last edited by DannyFanny on Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ejhartman91

Home Networking

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:40 pm

I have the motorola MB8600. I don't have a gigabit plan but I figured I'd get one that supports it in the event that I ever decide to go to that. I upgraded from a Netgear CM500. I replaced it because it was acting up and I had called my ISP (Mediacom) and they were telling me the signals on their end were not looking right. I have had 0 issues with the Motorola so I would definitely recommend their modems.

As far as routers go - I haven't had a Linksys in years so I'm not sure how good they are anymore. Just don't buy a Netgear. I had 2 different Nighthawk routers and had nothing but problems. The lan port randomly died on the first one (it was just over a year old, and Netgear tried to charge me for support), and the second one needed to be rebooted way more than it should have been. I also discovered because I have so many smart home devices that the Netgear wasn't built to handle so many simultaneous connections. I caved and just went with Google Nest Wi-Fi. I wanted to just be able to set it up and forget about it. The mesh systems are also built to handle a TON of simultaneous connections (I think over 100 per access point). So far the Nest Wi-Fi has been awesome. Our house isn't super large so I just have the one Nest router for now. Once our basement gets finished I'll probably buy another one to increase the coverage.
Tyler
Owner

Home Networking

Postby Tyler » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:47 pm

DannyFanny wrote:Source of the post router and modem are in the basement. House is small enough that I don't have any connectivity issues. Have thought about using the line I've pulled to my living room to move my router up here. Might do that if I upgrade everything, then I can use the etherports on the router to connect to a multiple devices instead of just my ps4.

I'll grab a router from work a test that out for a week or so.

I like everything about this plan. Def do that.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Home Networking

Postby DannyFanny » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:56 am

I didn't go to work today, so no trial router.
Looks like a Mediacom truck is working across the street. Hopefully that solves my speed issues without having to call and/or buying new equipment right now.

Still plan on moving the router. Just need to clear some space up here and get a few patch cables.
simo

Home Networking

Postby simo » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:29 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post I caved and just went with Google Nest Wi-Fi. I wanted to just be able to set it up and forget about it. The mesh systems are also built to handle a TON of simultaneous connections (I think over 100 per access point). So far the Nest Wi-Fi has been awesome. Our house isn't super large so I just have the one Nest router for now. Once our basement gets finished I'll probably buy another one to increase the coverage.

I've had the Google mesh system since about when they first released. Bought the 3 pack deal they had. In my former house I had them evenly spaced with the two on the main floor being hard wired. They've really been incredible. 0 router related issues which is probably a first in my home networking history. I now run 2 of the 3 access points in our condo since it's not as large.

Before I got the Google mesh I had a badass Asus router (can't recall the model) but even with it centrally located it couldn't reach my security cams on the exterior consistently; mesh fixed that right up.
ejhartman91

Home Networking

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:39 pm

simo wrote:Source of the post They've really been incredible

I've had the same experience. I remember having to use the Netgear app to update the firmware on my old router. It was a manual process and sometimes it just didn't work properly. The Google ones update automatically and I have only had to reboot it one time since I've owned it (my robot vac couldn't find the network, and a reboot resolved the issue). I'm actually pretty impressed with the range of just the one unit I have. It's placed centrally on my main level and it reaches our outdoor security cam on the west side of our house and our exterior christmas light smart plug on the east side of the house with no issues.
DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Home Networking

Postby DannyFanny » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:19 pm

I'll call Mediacom tonight to troubleshoot while I'm home. They have an automated process to go through first, and I need to be home to verify connections and speeds while working through that.

It's either a modem issue or a Mediacom issue. I tested speeds while on wireless, connected to the router, connected to the modem. Then I reset the router and tested again connected and wireless. Modem usually takes longer to reboot and get a connection, so I elected not to do that. Though I did reboot the modem earlier in the day. Speeds where similar in all scenarios. I'm just perplexed because it seems random on what my speeds will be. I'll test at one point and have perfect speeds. A few hours later my upload will drop to near zero. Last night tested and my upload was great (what I was paying for) but my download was in the single digits. Other times both up and down will be atrocious.

I ordered the Motorola modem today. So that is on the way if Mediacom doesn't find an issue on their end. Either way it is an upgrade to my current modem.

Return to “Off Topic”