Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Small Project - Landscaping Advice

Talk about anything.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:15 pm

So i got this here little project. The guy who lived here before basically laid down some rocks, covered with gravel, laid down a commercial landscape fabric. threw on dirt/gravel on top of that and then just kind of threw some blocks in there willy nilly. 5 in total.

I removed all that, because it was a mess and annoying to do in layers. Landscaping sites reccomend that i dig six inches + depth of the block + half inch or so to put a base and keep the blocks slightly above the surrounding area, so they don't become recessed.

Problem comes with the fact that there is a drainage pipe halfway down it, and can't dig much deeper than about 7 inches total. How much of a base should I do? This is just a walkway to the patio stairs from driveway.

More directed as Huss, but what would you reccomend?

Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Re: Small Project - Landscaping Advice

Postby Huss Buss » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:52 pm

haha..he put down gravel but then covered it back up with dirt, pretty stupid.

anyways.. what height do you want to match the pavers with? the driveway?

Landscaping sites reccomend that i dig six inches + depth of the block + half inch or so to put a base and keep the blocks slightly above the surrounding area, so they don't become recessed.

I agree with this, but the 6" of gravel base must be compacted pretty well. it's all about compaction. I usually do a 1" of sand and use a 3/4" pvc pipe to determine the 1". The last layer of gravel you pack needs to be the correct slope/level you want it to be. The sand helps fill in the sight un-levelness.

After gravel and sand then put pavers in and make sure there is a gap (about 1/8") between pavers so you can fill that in with paver sand (which is a hardener sand).

After paver sand is in place you pack the pavers down. Re-fill any gaps if needed. then wet the paver sand for a while. Make sure it is a light soating so the sand doesn't run away.

Problem comes with the fact that there is a drainage pipe halfway down it, and can't dig much deeper than about 7 inches total. How much of a base should I do? This is just a walkway to the patio stairs from driveway.

Dig as much as you can of the area to the proper depth. Where pipe is that is ok if not as much gravel is there. looks like your pavers are either 2 5/8" thick to 3". so need to dig about 10" down from top.

you going to keep you railroad ties as edging? I would fix that too if so. If not keeping you need to put in paver edging in with spikes. Also need to dig at least 4" extra all around pavers where edging would be so the pavers don't settle down on edges.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:54 am

Dig as much as you can of the area to the proper depth. Where pipe is that is ok if not as much gravel is there. looks like your pavers are either 2 5/8" thick to 3". so need to dig about 10" down from top.

you going to keep you railroad ties as edging? I would fix that too if so. If not keeping you need to put in paver edging in with spikes.

I will dig some more down tonight and see how deep I can get. I plan on keeping the railroad ties for now, but I have to dig those out as well. I think i have to dig another 3 inches over in order to make room for the spacing between the blocks.

Also need to dig at least 4" extra all around pavers where edging would be so the pavers don't settle down on edges.

So on the left side there, thats actual cement down that's part of the patio below the deck. Are you suggesting to move the walkway further to the right so it doesn't settle against that cement block?
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:26 am

Burn the house down. Collect the insurance money
wags83

Postby wags83 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:17 am

Blue Jackets wrote:Burn the house down. Collect the insurance money

Smart!
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:17 pm

cwilkins88 wrote:

you going to keep you railroad ties as edging? I would fix that too if so. If not keeping you need to put in paver edging in with spikes.

I will dig some more down tonight and see how deep I can get. I plan on keeping the railroad ties for now, but I have to dig those out as well. I think i have to dig another 3 inches over in order to make room for the spacing between the blocks.

Also need to dig at least 4" extra all around pavers where edging would be so the pavers don't settle down on edges.

So on the left side there, thats actual cement down that's part of the patio below the deck. Are you suggesting to move the walkway further to the right so it doesn't settle against that cement block?

no use the cement as edging to hold pavers in
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:44 pm

wilkins is bad with updates. He finished this and followed all of hussbuss's advice. I am still waiting for a good finished picture, not one taken at night. Probably asking too much for him to go back and post progress stuff.
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:11 pm

Here are the pics. It didn't turn out as level as I wanted, but my ground was downhill in three directions, meh.

Dug it all out.

Moved the dirt over here to make a garden. Still work in progress

Got the rock delivered:

Oh hey! It flooded!

Rock after 2nd tamper (did one halfway through as well)

Leveled out the sand and began to pour:

Finished Sand and tampered (I did once more after this)

Finished Path from Above:

Finished Path from Front:
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:54 pm

Good work. Too bad you don't have a pic from when you first moved it, huge improvement over that. That was in very rough shape.
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:27 pm

i say good job and looks good.. it's fine that it sloping away from house.. water won't collector there then
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Postby cwilkins88 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:53 am

Woo! Huss Buss approval!
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Postby Blue Jackets » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:21 am

Looks great. Are you for hire?
blake

Postby blake » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:32 pm

nicely done
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:33 pm

I'm hopefully getting Huss Buss down to my new place July 13th weekend to build me a retaining wall. Our front could use some curb appeal. He'll have to figure out how to handle the hill and the side. I'll need to haul in dirt once it is done I'm sure.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:16 am

After: I'm very impressed by what hussbuss did. I was his assistant and hope I helped more than I got in the way.
ImageImage
wags83

Postby wags83 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:40 am

Looks really nice! Great job Kyle!
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:19 pm

Casualty of the project. Kyle's big ferd and trailer did this.

ejhartman91

Postby ejhartman91 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:13 pm

Looks like my neighbors yard after irrigation system got installed

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Huss Buss
Top Contributor

Postby Huss Buss » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:38 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Looks really nice! Great job Kyle!

thanks! Glass and Evie were great help! If not for them we wouldn't been able to see the balloons and have our 1.5 hr food wait at restuarant!

I figured it was going to rut yet, even though you have been dryer. I really like not seeing the gutters anymore! Should most your plumbing pic. glass, you did most of that with Evie.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:26 am

Me doing the plumbing
"like this Kyle?"
"Are you sure?"
"Can I glue it now? "
"Are you sure you want me to cut it"
"Help, I did it wrong, can you turn it for me"

ImageImage

Return to “Off Topic”