Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Computers and PC parts

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Computers and PC parts

Postby Tyler » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:23 pm

When Corey and I built our desktops 3 years ago we made them as small as possible. They were small and powerful machines, but we have both decided we need full size towers. He needed it for work, I wanted a bigger pc to fit more hard drives and RAM. Cwilkins had a mother board for sale and I had a tower I could trade for so I decided to get into a bigger case.

Old. It was super compact. Very hard to work in.

All the parts.

New. Much more room and more future proof. 4 ram slots instead of just 2. Tons of hard drive room. Built in cable management. Thing is built like a tank

DannyFanny
Top Contributor

Re:

Postby DannyFanny » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:58 pm

But it's not water cooled.
wags83

Re: "New" computer

Postby wags83 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:26 am

DannyFanny wrote:But it's not water cooled.

You can pour water on it when it gets too hot.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:48 am

DannyFanny wrote:But it's not water cooled.

Old one was and so is new. You can see the tubes and radiator in the pics
awright

Postby awright » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:26 am

You keeping that upstairs or planning to move that bad boy downstairs to the man cave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:48 am

It will be moved downstairs when the basement gets finished. I have an idea to hide the tower out of sight. Such a shame for such a neat case.
Tyler
Owner

Re:

Postby Tyler » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:42 pm

I now have a secondary SSD for games, 24 gb of RAM, and new fans. I could still improve cooling during games, but it's fine for the few hours I do a month
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:26 pm

Salvo, how's the new SSD? Can you notice a difference in Windows or gaming?
itscsalvo

Re:

Postby itscsalvo » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:14 am

Nope. Not really that much of a difference. My SSD Sequential Read/Write speeds are sitting around ~120 MB/sec, and they should be getting closer to ~500 MB/sec. Still better performance than my old hard drive, but not as good as it could be.

It sucks because my motherboard is one of the few that doesn't have AHCI support, which is essential for SSD performance.

With that being said, I've ordered a new motherboard, i5-6600k processor, EVGA 970 GTX SSC+ or whatever, heatsink/fan, and maybe something else. All of that will be a substantial upgrade to my current rig. Pretty excited! Should come in this Friday or so.
Tyler
Owner

Re:

Postby Tyler » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:25 am

Dang! Upgrade on its way. Frankenstein-ing the other parts from your current computer? PSU going to be strong enough?

Can't wait to see new 3Dmark scores.
itscsalvo

Re:

Postby itscsalvo » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:11 am

Kind of. Giving my current rig to my mom since she's on a 14 year old Dell desktop. Current PSU is a 750w, so should be good still. I just wish it was fully modular. Everything else should still be fine, and since I bought the EVGA Nvidia 570 GTX Superclocked a few years back, I might be able to make a few bucks on it. So if any of you guys need a cheap upgrade, I can sell that to ya. Taken well care of, never overclocked, and I'll clean out all the dust.
wags83

Re:

Postby wags83 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:53 pm

So I've been using my Macbook from 2007 and it's incredibly outdated and doesn't perform very well. My new job has a program where I can get basically a "loan" from them for a new computer and pay it off via paycheck deductions interest free over the course of 24 months.

Anyway, do any of you frickin' nerds have any advice if I were to build a PC?
Tyler
Owner

Re: Re:

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:03 pm

wags83 wrote:So I've been using my Macbook from 2007 and it's incredibly outdated and doesn't perform very well. My new job has a program where I can get basically a "loan" from them for a new computer and pay it off via paycheck deductions interest free over the course of 24 months.

Anyway, do any of you frickin' nerds have any advice if I were to build a PC?

We could part out a sweet Windows desktop for you. You would be okay with giving up the portability of a laptop? Would you be doing gaming? What is the budget?

I will buy you video games so you can play with us.
wags83

Re:

Postby wags83 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:19 pm

I'm actually leaning more toward desktop so I'm fine losing portability. I suppose I could play some vidya games with y'all if I had a decent computer. My issue is I don't really know what to look for to know what a good budget would be. I'm not trying to spend a ton of money but I would like something nice.
Tyler
Owner

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:24 pm

wags83 wrote:I'm actually leaning more toward desktop so I'm fine losing portability. I suppose I could play some vidya games with y'all if I had a decent computer. My issue is I don't really know what to look for to know what a good budget would be. I'm not trying to spend a ton of money but I would like something nice.

Like around a grand? In that price range you for sure can do a decent video card and Intel CPU.
Does a monitor/keyboard/mouse need to be included in this price?
wags83

Postby wags83 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:07 pm

Tyler wrote:
wags83 wrote:I'm actually leaning more toward desktop so I'm fine losing portability. I suppose I could play some vidya games with y'all if I had a decent computer. My issue is I don't really know what to look for to know what a good budget would be. I'm not trying to spend a ton of money but I would like something nice.

Like around a grand? In that price range you for sure can do a decent video card and Intel CPU.
Does a monitor/keyboard/mouse need to be included in this price?

I guess I would include it in the total budget. If I could do something for $50/month or less for the duration of the 24 months I would be comfortable. That give me about $1200.
bmyoungs

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:08 pm

I was actually just researching this yesterday. Found a decent Reddit post about building PC's for people with no knowledge of building PC's.

http://imgur.com/gallery/PK1WFTJ

Totally had way too much info, but there are some decent resources in the list.
wags83

Re:

Postby wags83 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:23 pm

bmyoungs wrote:I was actually just researching this yesterday. Found a decent Reddit post about building PC's for people with no knowledge of building PC's.

http://imgur.com/gallery/PK1WFTJ

Totally had way too much info, but there are some decent resources in the list.

So many links! I'll have to check this out after work.
Tyler
Owner

Re:

Postby Tyler » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:28 pm

Have Corey take you to Microcenter. You can get a 23" monitor there for $99. They have combo deals on CPU/motherboards that will save you $60+. They have cases there too that are fairly priced.

We will get your primary and secondary storage online. Corey will check RAM prices for you at Microcenter, but likely get that online. PSU will be online. I may or may not have a copy of Windows for you.

If you want I'll actually list everything out and where you should buy it from.
wags83

Re:

Postby wags83 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:31 pm

I think for the program at work they need to see a list of what I'm buying so I would need to price out all the parts first. That way they know how much they're giving me and that it isn't for anything other than a computer.

Return to “Off Topic”