Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Cell Phone Plans

Talk about anything.
Tyler
Owner

Google Project Fi

Postby Tyler » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:38 am

Corey, will you switch to this plan? It sounds like new customers will only be offered it but current must opt-in.

The third big catch is that the new unlimited service plays all video at a lower quality, using a standard definition format rather than high definition. This significantly reduces the amount of data that someone who is watching a lot of video on a mobile phone would use. T-Mobile says that's how it's able to offer the new plan so affordably.
Corey
Site Admin

Google Project Fi

Postby Corey » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Corey, will you switch to this plan? It sounds like new customers will only be offered it but current must opt-in.

The third big catch is that the new unlimited service plays all video at a lower quality, using a standard definition format rather than high definition. This significantly reduces the amount of data that someone who is watching a lot of video on a mobile phone would use. T-Mobile says that's how it's able to offer the new plan so affordably.

This would cost $120 for us. We currently pay $100 for the same thing right now :mrgreen:
wags83

Google Project Fi

Postby wags83 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:01 pm

Corey wrote:Source of the post
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Corey, will you switch to this plan? It sounds like new customers will only be offered it but current must opt-in.

This would cost $120 for us. We currently pay $100 for the same thing right now :mrgreen:

Soooo....yes?
bmyoungs

Google Project Fi

Postby bmyoungs » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:01 am

More is better no?
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Google Project Fi

Postby Blue Jackets » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:00 am

T-Mobile is making its 'unlimited' data plan even more confusing
T-Mobile has figured out a remarkably confusing way of expanding its brand-new unlimited data plan. Because the new T-Mobile One plan doesn't actually offer unlimited data when it comes to video — all video is limited to 480p — T-Mobile will begin selling "HD day passes" for $3 per day, allowing customers to stream in 1080p for 24 hours.

That's simple enough, but here's where it gets really weird: T-Mobile is also offering a plan called T-Mobile One Plus, which, among other benefits, offers unlimited HD day passes. So by subscribing to the plan, you can stream 1080p video all you want every single day — but only if you go and activate the HD day pass again every single day.

Presumably, T-Mobile is hoping you'll forget to activate those passes, or else it would have just lifted the 480p quality limit without this bizarre constraint. Making this even more confusing, T-Mobile originally announced plans to offer an "HD add-on" for the One plan that offered unlimited HD streaming without constraints. That's no longer going to be an option, however, so if you want HD video streaming, you're stuck re-enabling it every day. A T-Mobile rep framed the change as "giving customers more" for the same price, which is true (both cost $25 extra per month), but the new plan also involves the strange new reactivation hurdle.

The One Plus plan does have some other benefits. It comes with unlimited LTE tethering, which is a big addition. Although, T-Mobile prioritizes data to smartphones and tablets over tethered devices, so there are still some limitations. Subscribers will also get 256kbps data speeds while traveling abroad, double what T-Mobile's other subscribers get.

So just to summarize everything, there are now two plans named T-Mobile One:

T-Mobile One: unlimited data, except tethering (limited to a slow 512kbps) and video (limited to 480p)
T-Mobile One Plus: unlimited data, unlimited tethering (LTE, but deprioritized), unlimited 1080p video (if you reactivate every day)
The latter of which is replacing:

T-Mobile One with HD add-on: unlimited data, 5GB of LTE tethering, unlimited 1080p video (no need to reactivate)
Tyler
Owner

Google Project Fi

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:18 am

Corey, does your current plan have unlimited 1080p streaming? If you were to stream Plex does it limit that?
Corey
Site Admin

Re: RE: Google Project Fi

Postby Corey » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:56 pm

Tyler wrote:Corey, does your current plan have unlimited 1080p streaming? If you were to stream Plex does it limit that?

Yeah there aren't any limits on me
Tyler
Owner

Re: Google Project Fi

Postby Tyler » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:19 pm

So you pay less for better unlimited. Cheating the system.
Tyler
Owner

Google Project Fi

Postby Tyler » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:56 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Fine...you guys talked me into doing the math.
Brad, does my Verizon stuff make sense?
Currently have 12gb plan, could probably do 8 or 10, but not seeing it as an option for me online.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Talking to Salvo and he has me looking into this again. I would be all for it, but I don't think Jocelyn would be on board with giving up her iPhone and the data peace of mind insurance we have right now. If we didn't get her teacher discount it would be in our best interest to switch, but that makes the VZW prices bearable

A lot of this also depends on the new Nexus/Pixel phone.
Tyler
Owner

Google Project Fi

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:27 pm

ejhartman91

Google Project Fi

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:30 pm

Saw that. Saves you $5 for each additional line and makes payment for multiple lines more convenient. Everything else appears to be the same. Wish I could get my wife to ditch her iPhone... Oh well
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Google Project Fi

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:49 pm

I'll try to switch this week
Tyler
Owner

Re: Google Project Fi

Postby Tyler » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:22 pm

$105 to wait 5 months. Not worth it. Pull the trigger!
Tyler
Owner

Google Project Fi & Phone Plans

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:40 am

Jocelyn's 2 year subsidized phone contract is up. I thought her $40 monthly connection fee would go to $15, but it went to $3? I texted ex-Verizon employee bmyoungs to help understand this. Based on this, we could both get new phones and save money?

Verizon is also offering me a promo to leave my 12gb plan and go to the Large plan (8gb), but if I do this they will give me free 2gb/device/month. So I would be paying less money for the same data, and also get the rollover feature? Seems too good to be true. I think the 2gb is linked to the device so I couldn't active this until we both got new phones?

Phone plan excel updated
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
bmyoungs

Google Project Fi

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:57 am

Tyler wrote:Jocelyn's 2 year subsidized phone contract is up. I thought her $40 monthly connection fee would go to $15, but it went to $3? I texted ex-Verizon employee bmyoungs to help understand this. Based on this, we could both get new phones and save money?

Verizon is also offering me a promo to leave my 12gb plan and go to the Large plan (8gb), but if I do this they will give me free 2gb/device/month. So I would be paying less money for the same data, and also get the rollover feature? Seems too good to be true. I think the 2gb is linked to the device so I couldn't active this until we both got new phones?

Phone plan excel updated
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

I saw same promo on myverizon page also. Didn't look like you were required to get a new phone.

Weird thing about the rollover stuff. If you have promo data that gets used last so you'd have your 8gb eligible to rollover and the extra 4 promo which is not eligible to roll over.
Tyler
Owner

Google Project Fi

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:06 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I saw same promo on myverizon page also. Didn't look like you were required to get a new phone.

I reread the promo. "as long as the line remains active". I read this as "as long as the device remains active". You are right. I can active this right now.

This wasn't an option for Tylersucks, but he talked to a rep and they are applying the 2gb per line promo to his account...for all 5 devices!
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post Weird thing about the rollover stuff. If you have promo data that gets used last so you'd have your 8gb eligible to rollover and the extra 4 promo which is not eligible to roll over.

Of course it works that way.
Tyler
Owner

Google Project Fi

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:49 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post If you have promo data that gets used last so you'd have your 8gb eligible to rollover and the extra 4 promo which is not eligible to roll over.

It looks like my promo data is actually being used first, at least for this initial pro-rated month
Bonus data
2.66 / 4.00 GB remaining
THE NEW VERIZON PLAN LARGE 8GB
5.16 / 5.16 GB remaining
bmyoungs

Google Project Fi

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:34 am

Tyler wrote:
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post If you have promo data that gets used last so you'd have your 8gb eligible to rollover and the extra 4 promo which is not eligible to roll over.

It looks like my promo data is actually being used first, at least for this initial pro-rated month
Bonus data
2.66 / 4.00 GB remaining
THE NEW VERIZON PLAN LARGE 8GB
5.16 / 5.16 GB remaining

That's sweet! Then you'll actually have some carry over
ejhartman91

Google Project Fi

Postby ejhartman91 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:18 pm

itscsalvo wrote:
Tyler wrote:Source of the post Ohhhhhhhhhh. Sorry for doubting you. Get a new number. It only sucks for a minute

Nah. I've had this number for over 10 years and I'm not changing it now to potentially save a few dollars monthly. My bill is currently $32-ish with Ting and it's sweet.

Looks like you're saved: https://www.reddit.com/r/projectfi/comments/5hi2q4
itscsalvo

Google Project Fi

Postby itscsalvo » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:05 pm

ejhartman91 wrote:Looks like you're saved: https://www.reddit.com/r/projectfi/comments/5hi2q4

UGH... after I already bought a new phone that I cannot port to Project Fi. Looks like I may get switch in a year or so, sell this phone and grab a Pixel. I'll look and consider next black Friday.

But thanks for the news, I can't believe it!

Return to “Off Topic”