Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Cell Phone Plans

Talk about anything.
bmyoungs

Google Project Fi

Postby bmyoungs » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:54 pm

itscsalvo wrote:
Tyler wrote:
CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Use my address.

That's actually a good idea. Why not just say you live in a T-mobile area? Get the new phone, keep your number. The biggest hassle might be shipping it to Tim to activate (if they require it to be sent to a T-mobile area), but after that it should work in Omaha on US Cellular just fine?

Because it doesn't work like that. The address doesn't matter where they ship it, but the number itself is a problem. I have a 402 area code, which is Omaha. I need a 515 area code to be on Fi since that's TMO. This is what google support has told me. It boils down to I have to have a different phone number to switch to Fi.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I had a similar problem trying to port my Iowa number to Google voice, said they can't port my area code.

Edit: just tried my 712 number in fi and can't do it either.
Tyler
Owner

Re: Google Project Fi

Postby Tyler » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:59 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhh. Sorry for doubting you. Get a new number. It only sucks for a minute
itscsalvo

Google Project Fi

Postby itscsalvo » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:49 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Ohhhhhhhhhh. Sorry for doubting you. Get a new number. It only sucks for a minute

Nah. I've had this number for over 10 years and I'm not changing it now to potentially save a few dollars monthly. My bill is currently $32-ish with Ting and it's sweet.
Tyler
Owner

Google Project Fi

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:07 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Fine...you guys talked me into doing the math.
Brad, does my Verizon stuff make sense?
Currently have 12gb plan, could probably do 8 or 10, but not seeing it as an option for me online.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Brad, what would my plan cost if I bought 2 phones outside of Verizon? Can I buy 2 Nexus phones and then only pay data + $15/line to connect them?

Note 7 will probably be $30/month. $30 x 24 months = $720. I assume when the brand new Nexus phones come out this year they will be like $600? Wilkins, what did you pay for yours? Maybe there will even be a Black Friday deal?
cwilkins88
Top Contributor

Google Project Fi

Postby cwilkins88 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:47 am

I paid 599 for mine I think.

Also, Fi is SOOO much better now that they have US Cellular
bmyoungs

Google Project Fi

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:27 am

Nexus phones should work on Verizon, they did last year.

On the old ME plans however when you are no longer financing a phone I believe the line access goes back to $40. I'm not 100% certain on that since that change happened after I left.

If they do anything with the note like they have been with every other phone you will be able to finance it for less than retail.
Tyler
Owner

Google Project Fi

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:36 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post On the old ME plans however when you are no longer financing a phone I believe the line access goes back to $40. I'm not 100% certain on that since that change happened after I left.

That would ruin my plan!
bmyoungs wrote:Source of the postIf they do anything with the note like they have been with every other phone you will be able to finance it for less than retail.

I think the $30/month x 24 months would technically be less than retail? I think these phones usually have an MSRP of $900+
ejhartman91

Google Project Fi

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:39 am

I was using my Nexus 6P on Verizon before I went to Fi. It worked fine. I was paying ~$80 a month for a single line with 6GB of data on a more everything plan. I believe the line fee was $20/month and I was not financing any phones (I have bought all of my phones at retail price since 2014). The way I see it, if you are going to use a plan that's higher than 6GB, and always use up all the data each month, go with Verizon. (If you aren't financing your phones) it will be cheaper. For me, the idea that I only pay for the data I use is worth the switch. Plus, I've always preferred Nexus devices.

cwilkins88 wrote:Source of the post I paid 599 for mine I think.

Also, Fi is SOOO much better now that they have US Cellular

- I bought my 6P during a $50 off promotion for Christmas or something. A little over $400 I think for 32GB. And yes, Fi coverage has been great for me as well after the addition of US Cellular.
Tyler
Owner

Google Project Fi

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:42 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post I believe the line fee was $20/month and I was not financing any phones

My plan is back on the table! I assume Google doesn't offer the financing option if you are not using it on Fi?
ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post A little over $400 I think for 32GB.

Amazon Prime Days was selling the 64 gb version for $399, granted the phone is nearly a year old now.
ejhartman91

Google Project Fi

Postby ejhartman91 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:57 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post My plan is back on the table! I assume Google doesn't offer the financing option if you are not using it on Fi?

Correct - You can only finance if you are a Project Fi Subscriber.

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Amazon Prime Days was selling the 64 gb version for $399, granted the phone is nearly a year old now.

Yeah, I'm sure the deals will be more plentiful now and with the upcoming announcement of the Nexus device(s) for 2016.
Tyler
Owner

Google Project Fi

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:04 am

ejhartman91 wrote:Source of the post Yeah, I'm sure the deals will be more plentiful now and with the upcoming announcement of the Nexus device(s) for 2016.

True... unless the 2016 Nexus phones have an amazing feature I need, I should be open to a 6p for like $250ish. Last year after the 6p came out the 6 was down to $200 brand new.
bmyoungs

Google Project Fi

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:05 am

Since I am on a computer now instead of mobile I can clarify a little better. The More Everything Plan is no longer offered, therefore if you do not currently have the $25 discount for being out of contract you will not receive it. If you are currently under a finance agreement and that ends your line access will rise to $40. If you are on the Verizon plan (like mentioned by ejhartman) the line access is $20 no matter status of device payment.

So to better answer your question Tyler. If you are planning on buying any device at retail you should move to a newer plan structure, unless you are currently receiving the discount while already being out of contract, which it sounds like you aren't.

As for the cost of the Note series, the retail price is that $30/month ($792) that is right in line with all their previous Note products. They may run a trade in promo for $300 off, and occasionally run a $100 off upgrade promo as well, but that only affects device payment pricing, not pay in full pricing.

As always with Verizon, any pricing discount they had in place on an old plan goes away once they launch new plans.
Tyler
Owner

Google Project Fi

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:48 am

So confusing!
My current plan is Plan: THE VERIZON PLAN X LARGE 12GB
I did not change anything over when they started the rollover stuff a couple weeks ago.

In November our phones are eligible for upgrade. Are you saying if I don't upgrade and just live with 2 year old phones the connection fee of $40/phone will stay the same and not be lowered?
bmyoungs

Google Project Fi

Postby bmyoungs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:54 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post So confusing!
My current plan is Plan: THE VERIZON PLAN X LARGE 12GB
I did not change anything over when they started the rollover stuff a couple weeks ago.

In November our phones are eligible for upgrade. Are you saying if I don't upgrade and just live with 2 year old phones the connection fee of $40/phone will stay the same and not be lowered?

No, I thought you were still on the 10gb ME plan. You are fine to do whatever you want and the Line Access will stay $20
Tyler
Owner

Google Project Fi

Postby Tyler » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:06 am

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post No, I thought you were still on the 10gb ME plan. You are fine to do whatever you want and the Line Access will stay $20

What a roller coaster! Sounds like a Nexus phone may be in my future...
itscsalvo

Google Project Fi

Postby itscsalvo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:59 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Sounds like a Nexus phone may be in my future...

One of us, One of us...
Tyler
Owner

Re: Google Project Fi

Postby Tyler » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:59 am

Rumored that Verizon will be selling the Nexus. Would it still come stock without any VZW bloatware and would it be on the same update cycle?

http://phandroid.com/2016/08/05/verizon ... sh-marlin/
bmyoungs

Google Project Fi

Postby bmyoungs » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:53 am

I wouldn't want a Verizon sold nexus unless there is proof they don't control the update schedule
itscsalvo

Google Project Fi

Postby itscsalvo » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:12 pm

bmyoungs wrote:Source of the post I wouldn't want a Verizon sold nexus unless there is proof they don't control the update schedule

Agreed. That's one of the big selling points of a Nexus.
Blue Jackets
Top Contributor

Google Project Fi

Postby Blue Jackets » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:56 am

Return to “Off Topic”