Help us keep the lights on by shopping at Amazon

Storage units

Talk about anything.
jathko87

Re: Storage units

Postby jathko87 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:55 am

jathko87 wrote:
Tyler wrote:Got into the attic the other day and tossed the Christmas stuff up there, that made enough difference for now

Complacency

Breeds contempt.
Tyler
Owner

Storage units

Postby Tyler » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:23 am

I'm back to think about this. Since posting I've doubled my overhead racks to 4. That took care of most of my stuff but we will have more coming. With Jocelyn's new job she will be moving into an office and we will need to store her classroom stuff she bought (bookcases, books, chairs, lamps, etc). A 5x5 unit in town is $50/month, but if I do it in the town where the inlaws live (15 min drive vs 10) it is only $30.
CrckrJack

Storage units

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:12 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post I'm back to think about this. Since posting I've doubled my overhead racks to 4. That took care of most of my stuff but we will have more coming. With Jocelyn's new job she will be moving into an office and we will need to store her classroom stuff she bought (bookcases, books, chairs, lamps, etc). A 5x5 unit in town is $50/month, but if I do it in the town where the inlaws live (15 min drive vs 10) it is only $30.

I've been thinking about getting one for the canoe during the winter and it is like $100/mo where we live :/
CrckrJack

Storage units

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:19 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post I've been thinking about getting one for the canoe during the winter and it is like $100/mo where we live :/

Just kidding i'm not doing this anymore. i just bought a storage rack.
Tyler
Owner

Storage units

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:20 am

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post I've been thinking about getting one for the canoe during the winter and it is like $100/mo where we live :/

How big of a unit would you have needed?

I don't think we are doing it anymore. Jocelyn's principal said there is storage in the basement that Jocelyn can use for her classroom stuff. I was kind of excited to get a unit though and build some shelves for it. I figured Jocelyn wouldn't have filled it so I could have gotten some stuff out of the garage too.

CrckrJack wrote:Source of the post Just kidding i'm not doing this anymore. i just bought a storage rack.

Pics
Corey
Site Admin

Storage units

Postby Corey » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:36 am

I built new shed doors over the weekend that close/lock so I plan on moving a bunch of stuff into there that we don't care about that much. We have a decent storage area in the basement but it is overflowing and hard to reach the stuff in the back as it is a narrow space under the stairs.
Tyler
Owner

Storage units

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:46 am

Corey wrote:Source of the post I built new shed doors over the weekend that close/lock so I plan on moving a bunch of stuff into there that we don't care about that much. We have a decent storage area in the basement but it is overflowing and hard to reach the stuff in the back as it is a narrow space under the stairs.

I saw the doors in person (via Google Duo), I was impressed! Other than them not being painted, he was able to match the shed perfectly.

I imagine everything you put in there will be in sealed totes and stuff you almost never need access too? Like old baby clothes? Oh wait...
Corey
Site Admin

Storage units

Postby Corey » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:54 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post
Corey wrote:Source of the post I built new shed doors over the weekend that close/lock so I plan on moving a bunch of stuff into there that we don't care about that much. We have a decent storage area in the basement but it is overflowing and hard to reach the stuff in the back as it is a narrow space under the stairs.

I saw the doors in person (via Google Duo), I was impressed! Other than them not being painted, he was able to match the shed perfectly.

I imagine everything you put in there will be in sealed totes and stuff you almost never need access too? Like old baby clothes? Oh wait...

Yep. We also have a ton of extra totes that don't need to be in the convenient storage area. I also moved all the lawn care stuff from the garage so I have a lot more space in there.
wags83

Storage units

Postby wags83 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:09 am

Corey wrote:Source of the post I also moved all the lawn care stuff from the garage so I have a lot more space in there.

This is my favorite part about having a little garden shed. Can keep the mower and lawn stuff out there instead of taking up garage space.

We haven't run into a space issue yet. We have a lot of stuff stored in the basement bedroom. We also have an attic above the garage that I haven't even explored yet.
Tyler
Owner

Storage units

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:27 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post This is my favorite part about having a little garden shed. Can keep the mower and lawn stuff out there instead of taking up garage space.

A shed would be so nice. I'll have to ask my neighbors what they spent on theirs.

wags83 wrote:Source of the post We also have an attic above the garage that I haven't even explored yet.

Does it have pulldown stairs? Get up there and take some pictures!
wags83

Storage units

Postby wags83 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:50 am

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Does it have pulldown stairs? Get up there and take some pictures!

It looks like the opening pushes up so I don't think so, but I do have a ladder now!
Corey
Site Admin

Storage units

Postby Corey » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:06 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post This is my favorite part about having a little garden shed. Can keep the mower and lawn stuff out there instead of taking up garage space.

A shed would be so nice. I'll have to ask my neighbors what they spent on theirs.

wags83 wrote:Source of the post We also have an attic above the garage that I haven't even explored yet.

Does it have pulldown stairs? Get up there and take some pictures!

I've seen some outside home depot and I think they are in the $2,500 range for a decent sized one which I don't think is that bad. You couldn't make one yourself for a whole lot cheaper (and it'd be a lot more work). The doors alone on my shed cost about $150 in materials. You'd also probably want a concrete pad for it.
wags83

Storage units

Postby wags83 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:38 am

Ours is just a small plastic garden shed, nothing heavy duty like wood or steel. And it's just sitting on the dirt in the back of the back yard. Might look at upgrading it someday to something larger and more robust.
Tyler
Owner

Storage units

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:41 am

wags83 wrote:Source of the post Ours is just a small plastic garden shed, nothing heavy duty like wood or steel. And it's just sitting on the dirt in the back of the back yard. Might look at upgrading it someday to something larger and more robust.

Someone is just going to pick it up and steal it!

Tylersucks has a nice hard plastic shed, but it is hidden in his backyard. That would look so out of place in our backyard that is open to all of the neighbors and they all have super nice sheds.
wags83

Storage units

Postby wags83 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:25 pm

Ours is a bit hidden as well. It's under a tree in the back corner of our yard and the neighbor behind us has a garden on the opposite side of the fence from the shed.

I think my real plan will be to add on to the garage at some point rather than building a better shed. That will probably not be for a long time though.
Tyler
Owner

Storage units

Postby Tyler » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:32 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I think my real plan will be to add on to the garage at some point rather than building a better shed. That will probably not be for a long time though.

Easier to just buy a house with a bigger garage and move in 4 years.
wags83

Storage units

Postby wags83 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:33 pm

wags83 wrote:Source of the post I think my real plan will be to add on to the garage at some point rather than building a better shed. That will probably not be for a long time though.

Easier to just buy a house with a bigger garage and move in 4 years.

I imagine that isn't true.
CrckrJack

Storage units

Postby CrckrJack » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:02 pm

Tyler wrote:Source of the post Tylersucks has a nice hard plastic shed, but it is hidden in his backyard. That would look so out of place in our backyard that is open to all of the neighbors and they all have super nice sheds.

The sheds in tyler's neighborhood are like second house nice.
Tyler
Owner

Storage units

Postby Tyler » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:07 pm

I am so back and forth on this topic! I was ready to pull the trigger on a $30/month unit this week. After Evie got new toys for her 2nd birthday we did a purge in the basement and packed up a lot of her old stuff. It's stuff we have to hold onto for older kids, but also stuff I don't want in my house/garage. I am going to add some more shelves to the garage tomorrow and see if I can free up some space. Depending on how that goes I might be bringing all of her baby stuff, old clothes, old toys (10+ totes) to a storage unit over the weekend.

My neighbor also told me to do a shed, but build it twice as big as you think you need it because it will fill up so fast and you will save more stuff just because you have it. He wanted to have a workshop in his shed, but now it is purely storage.
Storage unit will be $360/year. I think a shed like Corey's (the minimum I would want) starts at around $900, but that doesn't include pouring a pad.
CrckrJack

Storage units

Postby CrckrJack » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Would you get the money back if/when you sold the house though?

Renting a shed is money out the window

Return to “Off Topic”